User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Actually, Stevie stole that riff from a Police song. When Waddy found out he was pi$$ed off. Another Ledgie kindly brought this fact to our attention a couple of years ago.
Yes, Waddy gave an interview about it and said that they completely ripped The Police off. But he was asked about that in the Ledge Q & A and added:

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/waddy_2.htm

Quote:
Yes, well, basicially, that's what we wanted to do. But let me say in my own defense, being a respectable thief anyway— if you listen to the Police's song, Andy Summers performs it with some sort of echo unit. There is some sort of artificial "repeating" mechanism going on. And when I heard that, I just said, "I'm not going to do it like that. I don't like that kind of crap. I'll just play the thing." So I just did it the way I still do it, with the hand, as opposed to falsifying it with an echo machine. So it's all dig-a-dig-a-digga. The chords, and everything totally start to move differently. And that drum feel is that same thing. It's that off-off bass drum, against the guitar. So that is what I said. "What? We're doing what? Well, I ain't gonna do that. I'm doing it my own way." And that's how we did it.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default When 2 Legends collide

Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, Waddy gave an interview about it and said that they completely ripped The Police off. But he was asked about that in the Ledge Q & A and added:

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/waddy_2.htm

Interesting insight..hadn't heard the background of that famous riff. I wasn't familiar with the Police song, but especially after listening does anyone else think that influenced the early Edge demos? We have the small video clip from Crystal Visions with Stevie dancing and Jimmy coming into the studio..

Very reggae..and also VERY similar to the Police's Bring On the Night. I always wondered how that developed..seemed odd that the song's tone started with a reggae feel knowing Stevie and her tendencies with R&B and Rock.

No one knows of a full Edge demo correct?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt0308 View Post
Interesting insight..hadn't heard the background of that famous riff. I wasn't familiar with the Police song, but especially after listening does anyone else think that influenced the early Edge demos? We have the small video clip from Crystal Visions with Stevie dancing and Jimmy coming into the studio..

Very reggae..and also VERY similar to the Police's Bring On the Night. I always wondered how that developed..seemed odd that the song's tone started with a reggae feel knowing Stevie and her tendencies with R&B and Rock.

No one knows of a full Edge demo correct?
I think I must have imagined the piano version of Edge that I remembered hearing... now I can't find it but I swear I had heard one...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Thanks for that clip Viv! Very interesting and insightful! I would love to have that poster. How can we get a time machine and go back and attend that show?

Janis is among my favorite female singers. It's so sad and frustrating that she died at a time when she just established her finest band and recorded her best album. Such lost potential. It's also so intriguing to think about how she and Stevie crossed paths.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dubbed by Rolling Stone Magazine as "The Best Hippie Queen Earth Mother," Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks was the perfect example of what a woman in the '70s should personify. When talking about style in the 1970s, you would be hard pressed not to bring up the bluesy rock singer. Her frazzled blonde hair, perfectly draped jackets, and kick-ass boots set a standard for fashion in her time.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...e/stevie-nicks
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks Playlist

Since 1973 this rock and roll queen has been writing incredible songs, and dedicating her life to her fans. With hits including; Edge of Seventeen, Belladonna, Stand Back, Talk to me, I can't wait, Leather and Lace, Stop Draggin' My Heart around...need I say more? She has 8 solo albums and at least 9 with Fleetwood mac, keep in mind "Dreams" was Fleetwood mac's only number one hit.
In may of 2011 Stevie released "In your Dreams", her first album since Trouble in Shangra-La in 2001. She has made a huge comeback and was just recently nominated for an induction to the songwriters hall of fame. I think all things considered she deserves her own playlist on songpop!

http://support.songpop.fm/songpop/to...nicks_playlist
Old 11-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Parksville Qualicum Beach News, November 10, 2012
http://www.pqbnews.com/news/178417651.html

Hey Ocean! played at Voices in the Park in Vancouver in September, a concert benefitting the Sarah McLachlan School of Music, with big names like Stevie Nicks, Bryan Adams and Jann Arden. "That was pretty big for us to meet Stevie Nicks," said Beckingham.The trio have played in Nanaimo, Victoria and Cumberland, but this will be their first show in Parksville.Check out this modern show for all ages Nov. 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the PCCC.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thursday, November 15, 2012, Merry Christmas, Stevie Nicks and a Giveaway

Paige Kellerman Blog
http://www.paigekellerman.com/2012/1...nicks-and.html

Morning Readers,

The Christmas I turned fourteen was probably my roughest, to date. There's no worst first world problem than not getting what you want on Jesus' birthday. Am I right or am I right? Children in the improvrished countries knew they wanted to eat. I knew I hated everything I got for Christmas and would show I had absolute disregard for anyone else's problems by curling up on the floor, under a blanket, and crying for the entire day.

That's what happens when you give a friend Stevie Nick's Greatest Hits, when she's fourteen.

That's what happens when the same girl gets a boat-neck sweater she didn't want.
That's what happens when socks are in abundance, but the girl was dumb enough to answer the question, "What do you want for Christmas, Paige?" with ...

..."Oh, nothing. Just World Peace."

Idiot.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I think I must have imagined the piano version of Edge that I remembered hearing... now I can't find it but I swear I had heard one...
I think the main reason Stevie gets 50% credit for Bootylicious is because not only did it inspire the song, but they actually used the original Edge of Seventeen track. At the very beginning of Edge, you can slightly hear Stevie wail (you can hear it really well on the Timespace version). The track seems a tad slower on Bootylicious, but you can still hear Stevie's wail. In fact, they just looped the same part so you hear her wail multiple times!

As far as the piano demo goes, did you go to her thing at the Grammy museum? She supposedly played Edge on the piano and segued into Rhiannon and then into Moonlight (maybe not in that order) and talked about how she uses the same chords all the time and she's pretty much just been writing one long song her whole career. Anywho, I've never heard any piano demos of Edge, but maybe thats where you heard the piano version? Also, there is this version, which is the studio version with only the piano, keyboard, and vocals! Probably as close to a piano version as we will get.

This one also starts off with no guitar, but it kicks in.

Last edited by APerfectLie; 11-16-2012 at 03:43 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
I think the main reason Stevie gets 50% credit for Bootylicious is because not only did it inspire the song, but they actually used the original Edge of Seventeen track. At the very beginning of Edge, you can slightly hear Stevie wail (you can hear it really well on the Timespace version). The track seems a tad slower on Bootylicious, but you can still hear Stevie's wail. In fact, they just looped the same part so you hear her wail multiple times!

As far as the piano demo goes, did you go to her thing at the Grammy museum? She supposedly played Edge on the piano and segued into Rhiannon and then into Moonlight (maybe not in that order) and talked about how she uses the same chords all the time and she's pretty much just been writing one long song her whole career. Anywho, I've never heard any piano demos of Edge, but maybe thats where you heard the piano version? Also, there is this version, which is the studio version with only the piano, keyboard, and vocals! Probably as close to a piano version as we will get.

This one also starts off with no guitar, but it kicks in.

Thanks for these ^^ Loving them!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually have the multitrack stems someone posted on here a while ago, and one of them is just the entire piano track by itself. It's really epic. I know the guitar part gets a lot of love because it's so upfront and dsitinctive, but there's some really awesome piano action going on that really makes the song imo.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I actually have the multitrack stems someone posted on here a while ago, and one of them is just the entire piano track by itself. It's really epic. I know the guitar part gets a lot of love because it's so upfront and dsitinctive, but there's some really awesome piano action going on that really makes the song imo.
You know, I downloaded some of those when they were posted but not Edge. Just tried searching again, and the link is dead. Would you or anyone mind posting? Listening to the stripped down versions last night, I noticed the piano as well! I preferred the demos without the guitar actually (as epic as it is) just because the piano alone makes the song sound the MOST different without it. If that makes sense..haha.

Would love to hear the track by itself
Old 11-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt0308 View Post
You know, I downloaded some of those when they were posted but not Edge. Just tried searching again, and the link is dead. Would you or anyone mind posting? Listening to the stripped down versions last night, I noticed the piano as well! I preferred the demos without the guitar actually (as epic as it is) just because the piano alone makes the song sound the MOST different without it. If that makes sense..haha.

Would love to hear the track by itself
I think it's the piano that really drives the song. The guitar is pretty consistent throughout, but that piano part evolves with the vocals and distinguishes the different motifs.

And I'll see about uploading them asap.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it's the piano that really drives the song. The guitar is pretty consistent throughout, but that piano part evolves with the vocals and distinguishes the different motifs.

And I'll see about uploading them asap.
Completely agree! You really feel it with the piano. There's a driving beat that I just loved when listening to the demos.

Thanks so much, looking forward to the upload whenever you have a chance.