The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm confused, shouldn't some of these posts be moderated according to the rules and guidelines of the Ledge. I'm often baffled as to how it's allowed to continue, as there are so many posts that are inflammatory and seem to only have the intent of provoking other readers. And now hateful sexist remarks are ok?

From the FAQ

- If all you have to add are harrassing, insulting, taunting, nasty remarks or name-calling, you'll be asked to go somewhere else. Taunting is defined as "aggravation by deriding, mocking, criticizing or carping".
• Any statement that defames, abuses or threatens others
• Derogatory statements that could be construed as bigoted, hateful or racially offensive or comments defaming sexual orientation
• In expressing your devotion to one member of Fleetwood Mac, please try to avoid belittling the accomplishments of the others.

Surely some of these posts could be regarded as trolling?
a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

Last edited by Ledge Moderators; 04-19-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
​I'm confused, shouldn't some of these posts be moderated according to the rules and guidelines of the Ledge. I'm often baffled as to how it's allowed to continue, as there are so many posts that are inflammatory and seem to only have the intent of provoking other readers. And now hateful sexist remarks are ok?

From the FAQ

- If all you have to add are harrassing, insulting, taunting, nasty remarks or name-calling, you'll be asked to go somewhere else. Taunting is defined as "aggravation by deriding, mocking, criticizing or carping".
• Derogatory statements that could be construed as bigoted, hateful or racially offensive or comments defaming sexual orientation
• In expressing your devotion to one member of Fleetwood Mac, please try to avoid belittling the accomplishments of the others.

a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.
Snowflake alert...

How typical. For years, Lindsey was targeted by the Stevie fans, who blamed him for everything. They would always get their digs in and make fun of him. Now their queen has exposed herself, and she is getting targeted.

Fake outrage to shut people up. No rules were broken. You just don't want to hear opinions that aren't like yours.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Snowflake alert...

How typical. For years, Lindsey was targeted by the Stevie fans, who blamed him for everything. They would always get their digs in and make fun of him. Now their queen has exposed herself, and she is getting targeted.

Fake outrage to shut people up. No rules were broken. You just don't want to hear opinions that aren't like yours.

As has been said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing displeasure at band members and having disagreements. If you want to target Stevie that's up to you. However there is a line to be drawn regarding what is or is not acceptable. Espousing burning Stevie is unacceptable in my view. You may not actually mean that you would like to see her burned to death but that is essentially what you are suggesting. It is a crime to advocate murdering somebody so I'd say rules are being broken.
All this because she's decided she doesn't wish to record an album with your favourite band. Put things into some context- if her actions are enough to solicit such feelings in you then that's really quite disturbing- perhaps some inward reflection is warranted. As is always the case, its easy to sit there at your computer and type sh!t you'd never say directly to somebody in person.

By the way, I'm not familiar with the term 'snowflake'. It does however feel as if it has implied homophobic undertones. Perhaps I'm taking it in the wrong way though.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
​I'm confused, shouldn't some of these posts be moderated according to the rules and guidelines of the Ledge. I'm often baffled as to how it's allowed to continue, as there are so many posts that are inflammatory and seem to only have the intent of provoking other readers. And now hateful sexist remarks are ok?

From the FAQ

These rules are broken in almost every 2nd post by the same obnoxious schoolyard pack members, & notice all the pats on back or your my new best friend after the name calling & never ending insults towards SN.. its all pretty laughable, that a few adults on here carry on like this..
Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Snowflake alert...

I wasn't on this board at that time, so I don't have any experience of that particular Lindsey bashing.

You have reacted very strongly to what I thought was a straight forward post. Believe me, it's definitely not fake outrage. I've honestly seen numerous posts within the last year that I don't believe comply with the rules of this board, and don't make it a very welcoming place to be, and I'm enquiring about that. No one is asking anyone to shut up.

And if snowflake is supposed to be an insult towards me that's fine - I happen to love snow, and snowflakes are beautiful in my world
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:

From the FAQ

I can only offer a few general insights on this since it's not my exact area of competence, however the first rules actually refer to statements pointed towards other members of the board, not members of the band.
The last is a more grey area and in fact it's assembled more as an advice than a rule. In those cases it's hard to draw a line between what constitutes a violation and what doesn't, and there's a fine line between preserving the peace and overmoderating too.
Generally the politics of this board tries to leave to members the most freedom of expression possible because it's best to exceed on the side of freedom than on the side of constraint.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
These rules are broken in almost every 2nd post by the same obnoxious schoolyard pack members, & notice all the pats on back or your my new best friend after the name calling & never ending insults towards SN.. its all pretty laughable, that a few adults on here carry on like this..
^^^^ This exactly! Bravo!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not too sure what "snowflake" means these days..

But it's origin goes back to 1860..and was a term used for someone who was against the abolition of slavery...
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I'm not too sure what "snowflake" means these days..

But it's origin goes back to 1860..and was a term used for someone who was against the abolition of slavery...
Snowflake is a derogatory term that was and is used to describe liberals during the f'ed up presidential election fiasco. If you didn't support Trump you were deemed a snowflake. So now, haters use it for everyone who they disagree with.

Apparently, it's also used on this board as a term for anyone who calls 'fans' out on their Stevie bashing. It's just another way to be nasty.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a term used to characterize people who became adults in the 2000s and 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. The term is considered derogatory.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu28 View Post
Snowflake is a derogatory term that was and is used to describe liberals during the f'ed up presidential election fiasco. If you didn't support Trump you were deemed a snowflake. So now, haters use it for everyone who they disagree with.

Apparently, it's also used on this board as a term for anyone who calls 'fans' out on their Stevie bashing. It's just another way to be nasty.
Aaah get it....
thanks Lulu.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I can only offer a few general insights on this since it's not my exact area of competence, however the first rules actually refer to statements pointed towards other members of the board, not members of the band.
The last is a more grey area and in fact it's assembled more as an advice than a rule. In those cases it's hard to draw a line between what constitutes a violation and what doesn't, and there's a fine line between preserving the peace and overmoderating too.
Generally the politics of this board tries to leave to members the most freedom of expression possible because it's best to exceed on the side of freedom than on the side of constraint.

Thanks for the explanation sisternightroad, I'm sure it can be a difficult task deciding when posts have stepped over the line, and I understand you don't want to overmoderate.
I guess we'll just have to all keep arguing then

And thanks for all the explanations of the term "snowflakes". I had some idea of it's recent usage. Snowflakes really are beautiful though - I've just been looking on google images (no images of sensitive young adults on there) . We rarely get snow here, so when it does fall it's a magical event.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If anyone with an interest in basic human decency is considered a 'snowflake' then...
...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
If anyone with an interest in basic human decency is considered a 'snowflake' then...
...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
Yes, exactly!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know we are going a bit off-topic here (although it makes a change from the Stevie bashing....)

I watched a great TED talk the other day on highly sensitive people - for anyone interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi4JOlMSWjo

It kind of turns the whole derogatory, overly sensitive snowflake thing, on its head.