Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default When was Dave Walker canned?

I was curious, I know Hypnotized was originally going to be his song(THANK GOD THAT DIDNT HAPPEN!) so he obviously participated on some MTM recording. SO when about did he get the axe?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I was curious, I know Hypnotized was originally going to be his song(THANK GOD THAT DIDNT HAPPEN!) so he obviously participated on some MTM recording. SO when about did he get the axe?
If I recall, Dave didn't write songs, and spent most of his studio time, down the road in a bar. Which left Bob Welch and Chris, sitting around trying to write material for him. In the end, I think it was just decided that FM didn't need a "front man", and what material they'd written for him, was reworked, for the writers.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If I recall, Dave didn't write songs, and spent most of his studio time, down the road in a bar. Which left Bob Welch and Chris, sitting around trying to write material for him. In the end, I think it was just decided that FM didn't need a "front man", and what material they'd written for him, was reworked, for the writers.
Oh ok. I guess that makes sense. CAn you picture him singing Hypnotized BTW. EEEEEEEK!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh ok. I guess that makes sense. CAn you picture him singing Hypnotized BTW. EEEEEEEK!
Well, actually, yeah, I can hear him singing "Hypnotized". It just would've been very different...and we wouldn't have the hindsight we have from our current vantage point to really judge, now would we?

Who'd've thought that the Pointer Sisters would do such a good job of the song, either?

Ever hear Driving Blind's cover? That's kind of how I hear Dave Walker singing it.

"The Derelict" isn't all that bad...and Dave's work with Savoy Brown was pretty damned good. Why all the bad vibes toward Dave? Sure, he didn't work out with Fleetwood Mac studio-wise...but, I've never heard a live recording of him with the band (now there's an FM holy grail), so I can't judge how he was in a live situation with them. You have to admit, even the members of Fleetwood Mac at the time didn't disparage his live work with them, just that he was dead-weight when it came to the studio.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, actually, yeah, I can hear him singing "Hypnotized". It just would've been very different...and we wouldn't have the hindsight we have from our current vantage point to really judge, now would we?

Who'd've thought that the Pointer Sisters would do such a good job of the song, either?

Ever hear Driving Blind's cover? That's kind of how I hear Dave Walker singing it.

"The Derelict" isn't all that bad...and Dave's work with Savoy Brown was pretty damned good. Why all the bad vibes toward Dave? Sure, he didn't work out with Fleetwood Mac studio-wise...but, I've never heard a live recording of him with the band (now there's an FM holy grail), so I can't judge how he was in a live situation with them. You have to admit, even the members of Fleetwood Mac at the time didn't disparage his live work with them, just that he was dead-weight when it came to the studio.
Maybe its just that when I heard I'm a roadrunner, that was it for me. I'm sure the guy's talented enough, I guess it's more that I love so much Bob's Hypnotied that I cant imagine it abyway else. Oh also, I remember Mick saying in his book that Hypnotized as a "Blues screamer." I take taht to mean it wouldve been radically different than the version we all know and love?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe its just that when I heard I'm a roadrunner, that was it for me.

Well, DAVE did a great job on "Roadrunner"...I just think the rest of the band didn't. It's a decent song, but just didn't seem to fit "Fleetwood Mac"; or they just kind of "half-assed" it...at least that's how it sounded to me. The rest of the Penguin album is fantastic.

Considering the wealth of material that Fleetwood Mac has recorded over the years, only having a handful of stinkers in a nearly 40 year career is a pretty good batting average.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, DAVE did a great job on "Roadrunner"...I just think the rest of the band didn't. It's a decent song, but just didn't seem to fit "Fleetwood Mac"; or they just kind of "half-assed" it...at least that's how it sounded to me. The rest of the Penguin album is fantastic.

Considering the wealth of material that Fleetwood Mac has recorded over the years, only having a handful of stinkers in a nearly 40 year career is a pretty good batting average.
Dave Walker is the best part of Roadrunner That song was crying out for Jeremy, or Peter or Danny to get their teeth into. The Bobs just didn't seem to grab it

I'd say 95% of the stinkers came in the late 80s / 90s - but then I feel safe saying that in this part of the forum
Old 01-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Dave Walker's vocals but I am very glad he didn't do Hypnotized either, it's such a seemless Bob Welch song. Dave was an attempt to return the band to a bluesier sound but the band didn't really want to go back there which I can't blame them for. It's interesting to see Hypnotized in the light of being a bluesier number for Dave, and may have evolved from there into a jazzier feel for Bob Welch to do himself...

I wish they had done more than two songs with Dave Walker though, the combination had potential but would have been more like another side attraction, a replacement for Jeremy more than Peter or Danny as management seem to have intended. FM (and a solo Peter Green too) were getting heat in Britain from blues-purists from after Then Play On onward from what I've been able to find out.