Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2009 Chicago Blues Festival

By Bob Gendron | Special to the Tribune
June 15, 2009
Local artists, old-school soul and dedications to recently deceased icon Koko Taylor characterized this year's Chicago Blues Festival, held Friday through Sunday at Grant Park.

Nobody embodied the emotional spectrum of the blues -- the devastating lows, heartbreaking struggles, spiritual redemptions and joyous highs -- better than Bettye LaVetteon Saturday night. The Detroit vocalist's primal intensity and aching timbre underscored the personal nature of her songs. Prancing around in high heels while moaning and pleading, she testified on behalf of music's therapeutic power. Her gripping a cappella rendition of "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" proved more courageous than any of the hot-rod instrumental licks or hackneyed revues heard over the weekend.

Charlie Musselwhite, a Mississippi native with deep Chicago roots, deserved a headlining slot but settled for less Friday night. Few performers had more fans pushing to the front to get a closer view. The harmonica virtuoso's quivering tones conjured the sound of wind gusting against loose window shutters, and a wiry band kept his Southern-baked honky-tonk scrappy and honest. Musselwhite's raw noise dared anyone standing within earshot not to shake their legs.

A slide-guitar workshop featuring original Fleetwood Mac member Jeremy Spencer and three Chicago masters -- John Primer, Lil' Ed Williams and Elmore James Jr. -- was equally enthralling Saturday afternoon. Part teaching demonstration and part impromptu jam session, the gathering provided insight into the musicians' histories and techniques. Separately, Primer and Williams won over audiences on bigger stages, each flashing animated facial expressions that foreshadowed vibrant solos.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,5457071.story
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting the link. Jeremy played on Sunday night as well, supporting one of the headliners.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a blog review, by Matthew Soccy in Nuvo Newsweekly

http://www.nuvo.net/comment/reply/33345

Saturday, June 13

Rain.

That’s all that greeted me on my way to Grant Park after watching Jimmy Burns during brunch at Buddy Guy Legends.

Seeing the slow start the rain had caused, I began to get a bad feeling about the weather and how it would affect the rest of today’s festivities. In my thirteen years of attending Chicago Blues Festival, there has never been a cancellation due to weather, but I was starting to get the same vibes brought on by storms at Indy Jazz Fest.

Despite the rain, I was able to appreciate a tribute to Sunnyland Slim featuring Aaron Moore, a good set by Travis “Moonchild” Haddix, and an excellent presentation (and jam session) about slide guitar with Elmore James Jr., Lil’ Ed Williams, John Primer and Jeremy Spencer.

Immediately after, I watched Lil’ Ed and his band, The Blues Imperials, tear it up on a larger stage.

Main stage highlights included the Chicago R&B All-Stars (with Chicago sax great Gene Barge) backed up by Houston blues lady Trudy Lynn and her cover-heavy set. The night’s closer was Bettye Lavette, one of the best voices in the business. Her set, dedicated to the memory of Koko Taylor, was similar to what she performed at last year’s Indy Jazz Fest, but still excellent.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile