Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Nyc, 3/11/2019

The emotional highlight of Monday night’s sold-out Fleetwood Mac concert at Madison Square Garden — their first New York show of the post-Lindsey Buckingham era — wasn’t even a Fleetwood Mac song.

It was “Free Fallin’,” the 1989 Tommy Petty solo hit that Stevie Nicks led as the first song of the encore in tribute to her late friend and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” collaborator. The cover was also a nod to Mike Campbell, the new Fleetwood Mac-ster and former guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Photos of Petty — some with Nicks — flashed on the video screen behind Fleetwood Mac as they all melted into one generation of rock royalty that came up together and became legends of the same era. At that moment, whatever drama that led Buckingham to be booted from Fleetwood in April 2018 didn’t seem to matter.

Another memorable moment came when Neil Finn — the former Crowded House frontman who jointed Fleetwood, along with Campbell, to replace Buckingham — did CH’s ’80s hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” with a little help from Nicks. As he strummed on acoustic guitar, Finn had the crowd singing along “Hey now, hey now.”

But there were other moments when Buckingham was clearly missed, such as when the band confronted his departure headfirst by opening with Finn leading “The Chain.” It just didn’t feel the same with Finn fronting “Go Your Own Way,” and he needed help from Christine McVie and Nicks to bring home “Don’t Stop” in the encore.

Fleetwod Mac missed more than Buckingham’s voice and presence alongside Nicks — the band missed his energy. Campbell did his best to play the role of resident guitar god. though.

The band — which will bring its “An Evening with Fleetwood Mac” tour to Prudential Center on Wednesday and back to the Garden on March 18 — tried to make up for that by dipping into their pre-Buckingham catalog: Nicks even reclaimed “Black Magic Woman,” a tune that original member Peter Green wrote wrote for Fleetwood Mac before it became a signature hit for Santana.

Indeed, the concert was even more about Nicks — ever the mystical enchantress — who inspired the bohemian looks of some women in the audience. She had to carry the show, and she knew it.

In fact, one of the biggest roars of the night came when Nicks — who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist at Barclays Center on March 29, after already being enshrined with Fleetwood Mac — did one of her signature twirls at the end of “Gypsy.”

This gypsy remains magical.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/stevie...mac-rocks-msg/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1djwf5WoAAgb6V (2).jpg (45.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by kak125; 03-12-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM
kak125
This message has been deleted by kak125.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
The emotional highlight of Monday night’s sold-out Fleetwood Mac concert at Madison Square Garden — their first New York show of the post-Lindsey Buckingham era — wasn’t even a Fleetwood Mac song.

It was “Free Fallin’,” the 1989 Tommy Petty solo hit that Stevie Nicks led as the first song of the encore in tribute to her late friend and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” collaborator. The cover was also a nod to Mike Campbell, the new Fleetwood Mac-ster and former guitarist for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Photos of Petty — some with Nicks — flashed on the video screen behind Fleetwood Mac as they all melted into one generation of rock royalty that came up together and became legends of the same era. At that moment, whatever drama that led Buckingham to be booted from Fleetwood in April 2018 didn’t seem to matter.

Another memorable moment came when Neil Finn — the former Crowded House frontman who jointed Fleetwood, along with Campbell, to replace Buckingham — did CH’s ’80s hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over” with a little help from Nicks. As he strummed on acoustic guitar, Finn had the crowd singing along “Hey now, hey now.”

But there were other moments when Buckingham was clearly missed, such as when the band confronted his departure headfirst by opening with Finn leading “The Chain.” It just didn’t feel the same with Finn fronting “Go Your Own Way,” and he needed help from Christine McVie and Nicks to bring home “Don’t Stop” in the encore.

Fleetwod Mac missed more than Buckingham’s voice and presence alongside Nicks — the band missed his energy. Campbell did his best to play the role of resident guitar god. though.

The band — which will bring its “An Evening with Fleetwood Mac” tour to Prudential Center on Wednesday and back to the Garden on March 18 — tried to make up for that by dipping into their pre-Buckingham catalog: Nicks even reclaimed “Black Magic Woman,” a tune that original member Peter Green wrote wrote for Fleetwood Mac before it became a signature hit for Santana.

Indeed, the concert was even more about Nicks — ever the mystical enchantress — who inspired the bohemian looks of some women in the audience. She had to carry the show, and she knew it.

In fact, one of the biggest roars of the night came when Nicks — who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist at Barclays Center on March 29, after already being enshrined with Fleetwood Mac — did one of her signature twirls at the end of “Gypsy.”

This gypsy remains magical.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/stevie...mac-rocks-msg/

They really are Stevie’s backing band now. I am not saying that to stir the pot but the review essentially says it
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post

It was “Free Fallin’,” the 1989 Tommy Petty solo hit that Stevie Nicks led as the first song of the encore in tribute to her late friend and “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” collaborator.

Obviously this is a chicken-egg thing, but this strikes me as the kind of review that would have driven Lindsey up the wall. It's a Fleetwood Mac show, and two of the biggest "highlights" from the night are of other peoples' work. I can't figure out why it doesn't bother anyone else in the band, frankly...

Newsday quoted Mick before the MSG show as saying: “We’re also blessed that the audiences have been beyond stellar and have come on this journey with the band on a level that’s beyond anything that we could have imagined. … But you can understand that going out at the beginning of this excursion, there was a lot at stake — a lot of musical integrity. We were just really incredibly fortunate we found two very talented gentlemen that fit incredibly well with the band and have a musical, fantastic story to tell in their own right.”

All I can think is, what integrity? You fired your songwriter/guitarist/producer, and now you're playing Tom Petty and Crowded House songs. I guess all the money is worth it.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Once again, a review in which Fleetwood and the McVies aren't even considered--or are considered nonentities by the lack of mention.

Fun times.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Once again, a review in which Fleetwood and the McVies aren't even considered--or are considered nonentities by the lack of mention.

Fun times.
yeah, it's very interesting.

pre-scripted reviews sent to reviewers by band's publicists addressed most band members, and were saying:
  • Stevie is a rock queen, oh so young, oh so beautiful, moves and sings better than ever
  • Mick is oh so vital and his 10 minute drum solo is the highlight of the show
  • Christine cannot sing anymore
  • new guys are better than Buck and the whole band is refreshed and re-energized
  • usually not real mention of John
  • the band is happy happy happy - and, oh so happy!
you can kinda see where the wind is blowing from - Stevie, Mick, "new band" - great, Christine - sucks, John - no mention. which makes it even more funny how Chris is playing band's game when Stevie and Mick seem to be throwing her under the bus.

these recent east coast reviews (Atlanta, DC, AC, NYC) have obviously thrown that script into the trash bin and seem pretty matter-of-fact. they generally describe the show as
  • flat and just ok
  • missing Buck and his energy
  • set around Nicks as show's centerpiece
  • new guys are ok but outta place
  • don't generally mention Mick, John or Christine - guess not much change from previous tours in their performances.
both kinds of reviews seem to focus on 2 covers as being the highlights of the FM show and note how weird is that.

Caveat: i've only seen reviews that mention LB.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

pre-scripted reviews sent to reviewers by band's publicists addressed most band members, and were saying:
  • Stevie is a rock queen, oh so young, oh so beautiful, moves and sings better than ever
  • new guys are better than Buck and the whole band is refreshed and re-energized
you can kinda see where the wind is blowing from - Stevie, Mick, "new band" - great, Christine - sucks, John - no mention. which makes it even more funny how Chris is playing band's game when Stevie and Mick seem to be throwing her under the bus.

these recent east coast reviews (Atlanta, DC, AC, NYC) have obviously thrown that script into the trash bin and seem pretty matter-of-fact. they generally describe the show as
  • flat and just ok
  • missing Buck and his energy
  • set around Nicks as show's centerpiece
  • new guys are ok but outta place
  • don't generally mention Mick, John or Christine - guess not much change from previous tours in their performances.
both kinds of reviews seem to focus on 2 covers as being the highlights of the FM show and note how weird is that.

Caveat: i've only seen reviews that mention LB.
More and more of the recent reviews are mentioning LB more
Old 03-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
More and more of the recent reviews are mentioning LB more
And if you look online at the article, it’s titled “Fleetwood Mac’s MSG concert needed Lindsey Buckingham”
Old 03-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No matter how positive the reviews seem to sound, I can sense the lack of energy in all of them. In clips, I feel the band is filmed in slow motion.
I'm actually glad that I won't see the band when they come to germany. I really don't want to travel 800 km and give them my money when the highlight of the evening is a cover of the song "Free Falling". That's unworthy of FM, and not worth my time and my hard earned money. Plus - it is such a Blah!!! song.
In 2003, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of Stevie and Lindsey coming onstage hand in hand, in 2009 the band was so very entertaining, in 2013, Stevie blew me away with "GDW" and Lindsey made "Big Love" unforgettable. In 2015, I LOVED Christine being there, hadn't seen her since 1990, she blew a kiss and gave me thumps up for my "welcome back, we missed you, we love you" sign, my poor heart. Stevie angered me, she was upset about something and did not even try to be professional. With the current incarnation, they efficiently killed whatever exitement I had left in me. This tour is a shame and a poor copy of a once great band. I used to love Chistine, but her function in the band was being the bridge between Stevies excentrics and Lindseys mania. Without that function, she falls flat. And Stevie needs an antagonist to shine - who's that now? Neil Finn? HA! They are pathetic now.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 03-12-2019 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: I actually typed "Bug Love". Gnihihi
Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/hilla...UOkpOo03KJx9lM

Fleetwood Mac chanteuse Stevie Nicks held court backstage with Hillary Clinton before the band’s sold-out show at Madison Square Garden.
“Clinton was holed up in Stevie’s dressing room for a long time before the show,” said a spy.
Bill O’Reilly was apparently seen hanging in a backstage hallway.
Clinton also mingled “with the entire band, taking photos and chatting,” while other VIPs included Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, and newly minted Oscar winner Mark Ronson.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see the Mcvies, especially Christine, calling it a day at the end of this tour.
Neither of them can need the money, and they’re well past normal retirement age.
Then, it really cannot be Fleetwood Mac any longer.
It will, at the close of this tour, be it.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/hilla...UOkpOo03KJx9lM

Fleetwood Mac chanteuse Stevie Nicks held court backstage with Hillary Clinton before the band’s sold-out show at Madison Square Garden.
“Clinton was holed up in Stevie’s dressing room for a long time before the show,” said a spy.
Bill O’Reilly was apparently seen hanging in a backstage hallway.
Clinton also mingled “with the entire band, taking photos and chatting,” while other VIPs included Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, and newly minted Oscar winner Mark Ronson.
and this is the part of the lifestyle Stevie loves.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I can see the Mcvies, especially Christine, calling it a day at the end of this tour.
Neither of them can need the money, and they’re well past normal retirement age.

Completely--for all the reasons you said above....AND they are too good and too seasoned to be her backing band. She's got Waddy and the gang. And from the looks of it--the kids from School of Rock could head out on the road with her too.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
You’re assuming that they’re not enjoying it and don’t want to continue, based on what I honestly have no clue. I think it’s wishful thinking for a lot of folks around here, but not necessarily true.

Fate will probably be more a factor in how the band wraps up than age or financial considerations.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I honestly have no clue.
Yes.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

I don't believe Fleetwood Mac (or their publicists) is sending out pre-scripted reviews saying Christine cannot sing anymore.