The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She is an interesting person, that is for sure. The most interesting in the band. And her own little world draws a lot of other people in too. I'm not sure if that is really brains, that is more like dumb luck. Or to put it more postively, she is just able to relate to people and express her thoughts well on paper. It's not like she or any of Fleetwood Mac tries really hard to sell us a bunch of stuff that we would buy. Seems like no brainers to us but they don't expose/sell themself like other aritists do.

But I don't really think that she had a high IQ. But she proves you don't need to be Albert Einstein to do well in life.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

As someone already beat me to the punch pointing out, Stevie does have several years of college in her background, and she worked in a dentist's office for an entire day!
She was a major drug addict who managed never to get arrested, and never photographed in an entirely incriminating or scandalous manner. More than her being fortunate, which she was, it shows she had brains and survival instincts.
Stevie was able to keep the love and devotion of her father, mother, family and fans when many addicts wind up completely abandoned by those closest to them (Judy Garland, for one, who was no dope, but wore everyone out.)
Stevie, also, far and away, had the most success of any member of the band, though many have pointed out her talent wasn't as prodigious as Lindsey's. If any of the other members of Mac were more intelligent than Stevie, they weren't too smart about being left with (gold) dust in their faces, no member of Fleetwood Mac even came close to her career achievements on their own, compared to her.
Imo, imo, imo, I must stress, for any offended: Stevie is the clear choice for the most intelligent member of Fleetwood Mac, by far
(and to think, just a few days ago, I was completely slamming her in a thread on the Nicks Ledge board, because of what I think is a spiritual/ethical recklessness that makes me feel creepy, just in one certain song- 'Sorcerer'. I was wisely advised not to take 'it' so literally)-
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
Stevie did go to some of college.
did any of the other members do that?
I think Christine has a degree in Art... and an equiv of a Doctorate in Music by some other College...

Little help Michele?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think Christine has a degree in Art... and an equiv of a Doctorate in Music by some other College...

Little help Michele?
Close... she got a teaching degree...in art(?) of some kind.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

whats imo mean?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Supporting Ledgie

It's lazy for "in my opinion"
Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd say Lindsey, at least in terms of book-smart intelligence, is probably the cleverest out of all the members in Fleetwood Mac. I mean, just read his interviews, I get brain ache trying to decipher them.

Don't underestimate the power of Stevie though. I think we're rating her as being more unintelligent than she actually is. I believe some of the things she says is for effect, to keep up with the whole 'flaky, hippie' image thing. She seems to be eloquent - but it shows more in the way she writes - and very street wise. Like Nikolaj said, she never got caught with the drugs thing and Columbia were probably thankful when she kicked her addiction.

Anyway, don't conveniently forget that Mick was declared bankrupt three times or something.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'd like to vote for Billy Burnette but he seems to have been forgotten
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
It's lazy for "in my opinion"
thanks haha
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I'd say Lindsey, at least in terms of book-smart intelligence, is probably the cleverest out of all the members in Fleetwood Mac. I mean, just read his interviews, I get brain ache trying to decipher them.
big words don't always mean intelligence
I have to wonder if he doesn't just sit around with a thesaurus.

(before anyone jumps me...yes, I do believe he is probably the most intelligent)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
She seems to be eloquent - but it shows more in the way she writes - and very street wise.
Actually, it's Stevie's songwriting that makes me rate her I.Q. the way I do. I think she sounds shallow in her lyrics, which are almost completely devoid of the one quality that represents "brain" to me in songs & verse -- wit. Rolling Stone critics used to characterize her writing as "junior high school girl" & I never disagreed with that.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 08-26-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Actually, it's Stevie's songwriting that makes me rate her I.Q. the way I do. I think she sounds shallow in her lyrics, which are almost completely devoid of the one quality that represents "brain" to me in songs & verse -- wit. Rolling Stone critics used to characterize her writing as "junior high school girl" & I never disagreed with that.
"My songs don't change much over the years.
I write much the same way I did when I was 16.
I'm no better on guitar or piano.
I do exactly what I always did:
I just write about what's happening to me at the moment."
BAM Magazine Interview, 1981
http://www.nicksfix.com/bam9-11-81.htm

she may not be the smartest, but she's honest.
and I'll take honest, heart-filled lyrics over brainy, pretentious bullsh!t anyday
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I'm not going to rate everyone's intelligence but I think John's the smartest. He has a keen ability to keep his mouth shut. I admire that.
.....didn't I hear he waws a republican though?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Impossible to answer this question! All of them possess different kinds of intelligences. But if I was sticking to musical intelligence (itself a broad category), I'd say this...

1. Lindsey/Peter (in vastly different ways, they know how to get the sound they want when they want it)
2. Christine (it takes true wisdom and intelligence to play with subtlety for the sake of a group sound, as opposed to hogging spotlights and selfishly pushing oneself out front; she isn't as much reserved as she's generous...)
3. Danny (he knew how to create searing set guitar solos and to arrange music economically)
4. Stevie (she is not proficient in any instrument but she always knows what to do with her voice and how to wrap it around anyone else's...)
5. Bob Welch (he's not a great singer but he wrote great songs and knew how to talk-sing them in such a way that showed them off...)
6. Rick Veto, Jeremy Spencer...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Impossible to answer this question! All of them possess different kinds of intelligences. But if I was sticking to musical intelligence (itself a broad category), I'd say this...

1. Lindsey/Peter (in vastly different ways, they know how to get the sound they want when they want it)
2. Christine (it takes true wisdom and intelligence to play with subtlety for the sake of a group sound, as opposed to hogging spotlights and selfishly pushing oneself out front; she isn't as much reserved as she's generous...)
3. Danny (he knew how to create searing set guitar solos and to arrange music economically)
4. Stevie (she is not proficient in any instrument but she always knows what to do with her voice and how to wrap it around anyone else's...)
5. Bob Welch (he's not a great singer but he wrote great songs and knew how to talk-sing them in such a way that showed them off...)
6. Rick Veto, Jeremy Spencer...
Veto .... ur busted too