User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
So it sounds like you at loved or at least liked strongly 4 or 5 of Stevie's songs, which is actually higher than her average contributions to FM albums. So with some drastic editing, one could make the case that Stevie's contributions to SYW were among her strongest ever. I do agree that "Silver Girl" stunk up the joint so badly that it actually negated the good songs she contributed. But then again, Stevie cannot be singled out- of all of the GoS songs he had to choose from, I think Lindsey basically took out the trash and dumped it on SYW. In an ideal world, SYW should have looked like this:

1. Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind
2. Illume
3. Down on Rodeo
4. Thrown Down
5. Red Rover
6. Destiny Rules
7. Gift of Screws
8. Say You Will
9. Right Time to Fade
10. Everybody Finds Out
11. I Am Waiting
12. Goodbye Baby
That is one damn good track list! I'd replace Red Rover with Come or Did You Miss Me though. Otherwise...Hell yeah!!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would say that Stevie was only "most loyal" to the band, in the sense that she didn't leave it. I would never call her contributions to TITN more loyal than Lindsey or Christine's.

And I certainly don't think Stevie sacrificed more than they did for the band.
I completely agree with this. Her contributions weren't any more self-sacrificing and consistent but she would always be back in the studio at some point for a new record and she would never bail on a tour.

As usual, you take the words out of my mouth.

"Loyal" may have been the wrong word on my part-- Louie's summary of Christine's loyalty to the band definitely proves that she blows Stevie out of the water in that category, and I completely agree with that. I do think, however, that we can't discredit Stevie's presence throughout all the albums and tours since Rumours.

Last edited by daniellaaarisen; 08-18-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I completely agree with this. Her contributions weren't any more self-sacrificing and consistent but she would always be back in the studio at some point for a new record and she would never bail on a tour.

As usual, you take the words out of my mouth.

"Loyal" may have been the wrong word on my part-- Louie's summary of Christine's loyalty to the band definitely proves that she blows Stevie out of the water in that category, and I completely agree with that. I do think, however, that we can't discredit Stevie's presence throughout all the albums and tours since Rumours.

HAHA... Riiiight. Like Stevie was "back in the studio" hardcore for Tango in the Night. Yeeaaah.

Stevie did leave the band I believe in 1991? All the way thru to The Dance...

And while I hate that Lindsey backed out of the Tango tour, at least we've got him back in the band now.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
HAHA... Riiiight. Like Stevie was "back in the studio" hardcore for Tango in the Night. Yeeaaah.

Stevie did leave the band I believe in 1991? All the way thru to The Dance...

And while I hate that Lindsey backed out of the Tango tour, at least we've got him back in the band now.
She made an appearance for Tango in the Night even though it was a weak effort on her part. And leaving from 1991-1997 was because of "health issues".

As I said, Christine was more loyal, I agree. I just think we can't discredit Stevie for her own efforts with the band.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She made an appearance for Tango in the Night even though it was a weak effort on her part. And leaving from 1991-1997 was because of "health issues".
Health? She left 'cause she was pissed at Mick over not giving her Silver Springs to put on TimeSpace. Stevie's been quoted as saying that, if I recall correctly.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That totally makes sense. Lindsey hoped (is hoping?) to take the band in an entirely different direction than before and I think it was a shock for people who don't really listen to his solo work. And Stevie's voice has definitely changed-- hell, they've all changed. So yes, to answer your question-- your argument makes a lot of sense.
I actually love Lindsey's solo work, but his sound might work only for him. There was some Lindsification of Stevie's songs on SYW (Smile at You, for example - god I hate that ****.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I don't understand how in the time frame between "The Dance" and "Trouble in Shangri-La" Stevie's voice changed so much. It got so much more nasally, whereas her voice had been pretty much the same since 1989 before then.
Her TISL voice is okay. I love the way she sounded from about 1994-1999. Deeper voice, still some vibrato and "Stevie sound." She has really lost that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
You make perfect sense, and I think you're perfectly correct unfortunately. I think I just get so caught up on the idealistic idea that since Stevie and Lindsey's most current solo albums are the best of their respective careers, that they should be able to channel that into one hellacious Mac album. Unfortunately that's flawed logic. It's kind of like saying: I like steak. I like ice cream. So if I put ice cream on top of my steak that would be really super great!
I'd be interested if Stevie put out a solo album. Whether or not I'd *like* it, I can't say, but I'd check it out. But as someone else said, it would be hard to create a cohesive sound (for the Mac) if you're trying to cram all of these different personalities into songs. Over time, they've been less and less able to do that, especially with Chris being gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Sapphire
It is true that Nicks only participated in the recording of TITN for a matter of days ,likely less than 2 weeks whereas it
She also recorded at least a few of the TITN songs in 1985/86, like Seven Wonders.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post

She also recorded at least a few of the TITN songs in 1985/86, like Seven Wonders.
Yep in fact Seven Wonders was recorded c. Halloween of 1986 making it the last songe she ever recorded during the "coke and brandy" years as she went into Betty Ford days later.I think cumuatively her participation in the Tango sessions probably totalled 7 to 10 days.A nice paycheck for that amount of work considering the album's international sales of around 8 million.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Yep in fact Seven Wonders was recorded c. Halloween of 1986 making it the last songe she ever recorded during the "coke and brandy" years as she went into Betty Ford days later.I think cumuatively her participation in the Tango sessions probably totalled 7 to 10 days.A nice paycheck for that amount of work considering the album's international sales of around 8 million.
When it comes to vocals, I think SW is the last great song she recorded with FM.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When it comes to vocals, I think SW is the last great song she recorded with FM.
It is a special song as it's vocal marked the end of the era that undoubtedly produced her greatest performances and songs.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
So it sounds like you at loved or at least liked strongly 4 or 5 of Stevie's songs, which is actually higher than her average contributions to FM albums. So with some drastic editing, one could make the case that Stevie's contributions to SYW were among her strongest ever. I do agree that "Silver Girl" stunk up the joint so badly that it actually negated the good songs she contributed. But then again, Stevie cannot be singled out- of all of the GoS songs he had to choose from, I think Lindsey basically took out the trash and dumped it on SYW. In an ideal world, SYW should have looked like this:

1. Someone's Gonna Change Your Mind
2. Illume
3. Down on Rodeo
4. Thrown Down
5. Red Rover
6. Destiny Rules
7. Gift of Screws
8. Say You Will
9. Right Time to Fade
10. Everybody Finds Out
11. I Am Waiting
12. Goodbye Baby

Switch "Goodbye Baby" with "Running Through The Garden", put "Destiny Rules" as the last song and then that would be the perfect album in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Her TISL voice is okay. I love the way she sounded from about 1994-1999. Deeper voice, still some vibrato and "Stevie sound." She has really lost that now.
That's sort of the time era I meant. I love how her voice sounds on "Street Angel". Sure, the album's **** but at least her voice sounds amazing. I think those vocal lessons she started getting around 1998 have been more of a hinderence than a help.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Funny, I just heard this on the radio and was reminded how good I think it sounds.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is one of the "ground up" comments that I was remembering. Lindsey said it to USA Today in April 2003:

Quote:
I've built a studio in my new house, and I'd love for Stevie and myself to sit down and do some stuff from the ground up with two-part harmonies. If we had one complaint about this album, it's that we used a lot of older material, and a lot of mine was set in stone. Co-writing would be interesting. We've never done that.
Also, here's a totally unrelated comment I was just reading of John's:

Quote:
Stevie's come into her own as a writer, and she's a much stronger singer. Lindsey still pulls sutff out of the hat; he's an amazing guitar player, but he never gets recognized for that. And even though he's the band's producer, he hides his voice a bit. Mick and I are always mentioning, with timid little voices, 'We can't really hear your voicals, Lindsey.'
That's interesting to me. I hear Lindsey's voice on FM stuff. It's his outside work where I can't hear him. For instance, I cannot hear him on Egan's work. I hear him on Where's the Party and that's about it. I don't think he hides his voice in FM. Of course, he's always altering it.

Michele
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've got an idea. For the next Fleetwood Mac album Stevie should
get up out of the chair and belt out a few songs. I know there's a
big difference in her age, but watch the Tusk Documentary where
she's recording "Angel". And then watch Destiny Rules, I can't
remember which song she's singing, but she's sitting down. Unless
you're playing an instrument, it would be nice if the person putting
down vocals would stand up and put a little energy into it.

"Thrown.........down.......like...a ba.....", hey I think I need to sit
down.