The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can never remember exact years for things like this! I do know that the first time I sat up and took notice (literally) of Stevie was during Fast Times at Ridgemont High, when Sleeping Angel played in the background. I had to find out who it was and how I could hear the rest of the song. Once I saw "Stevie Nicks" in the credits, I had to laugh at myself for not figuring it out sooner. There changed my life~

After that, I got into solo Stevie and FM. I had actually been listening to pre-BN Mac for ages before, unbeknown to me, since my dad was a fan of the blues stuff and Chicken Shack.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default A scar to remember!!

So here goes it...
I knew of Fleetwood Mac because my father had the Rumours record and I had known some songs that were just randomly on my iPOD (Dreams, Little Lies, EO17, etc) maybe just some mainstream stuff. Admittedly I did not know what I was getting myself into!! One day on the way to work I hear on the radio that there would be a Fleetwood Mac concert in DC, said to a friend at work... "wanna go" and the answer was yes that she liked them too, then the tickets were bought. Like any cheesy ass, I knew the set list before going, made a cd and listened to it over and over. Come to the day of the concert, we were a little late to be able to have a good meal before drinking at, and before a concert. After the first 5 songs she needed a smoke and went outside without her ticket stub, a desperate call from her outside the venue made me leave our seats (that really were not ours, much better) and go and get her, on the way...I tripped on my pantleg down the escalator and could not get up at the bottom...at the time (even in the drunken state I knew this was not good) i just kept on going and got us back to the concert. Later back at the hotel i saw the damage to my leg...7 uniform gashes on my shin, deep! Took 3 months to heal the wounds, the scars are very much still around! Left with the scars and the knowledge I missed out on a great concert, we ended up going to go and see them later again on this same tour, so I didn't feel as though I missed out so much. But the initial experience (the fall) made me investigate and appreciate all that they are. Unfortunately I have a leg that is ruined, but I guess I was at a good place and time for it to have happened!

Since then, it has been all about FM, CDs and DVDs, youtube (hrs and hrs spent), books, etc.

Before I was a FM fan, but not as much as I have been since my big fall. I have for a LONG time been searching for some good music to discover, being a late time come around fan (they made it big before I was born), it has been very refreshing to hear & see some great music, whether it is old & nostalgic to someone else, it is great and refreshing to me!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Discovering the Mac...

I was fairly antisocial in grade school and rebelled against pop culture so I never listened to the radio. I remember a neighbor giving me a ride to school and a song came on with the chorus "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow". She commented that she couldn't even think about the afternoon let alone tomorrow which I found pretty funny. I had no idea who the artist was and didn't particularly care either. I also remember hearing another song which I thought was about Vienna. Years later I realized it was "Rhiannon". It wasn't until I was in high school during the eighties that I began exploring pop culture/music. All the guys in class were into heavy metal which sounded like so much noise to me so during my senior year I started listening to an adult contemporary station and was instantly mesmerized by this song. Someone at the station must have been taken with it as well since it was not a new release/hit and yet they played it just about every day. I became obsessed with the song and finally managed to record it in its entirety. The song was the original album version of "Sara" - about six and a half minutes long. To this day I still can't stand listening to the single edit version. It wasn't until I went to college that I actually purchased my first album, "Tusk", at a used music store. CD's were just becoming popular and vinyl was on its way out but I preferred the vinyl packaging even though I didn't own a record player. Months went by before I finally broke down and bought one. In the meantime (pun intended) I was fascinated by the convoluted packaging and the photos/artwork from the Tusk double album. Even before listening to the music I began seeking out their other albums. The shop owner recommended that I try some solo albums as well including "Buckingham/Nicks". Just before Christmas there was a closeout sale and I purchased a combo stereo system with a record player/cassette recorder. I spent the holidays exploring all this music. I made tapes of my favorites organizing them into categories - pop, blues, hard rock, country, etc. I held out purchasing vinyl as long as I could until "Time" was released in 1995. This was the first CD I ever purchased. I know I'm turning this into a novel and I haven't even touched on their videos. Let's just say I was mesmerized by the "Gypsy" video in the same way that I had been by the song "Sara". What's odd is that, although these remain favorites, overall I prefer Christine's and Lindsey's compositions. My favorite Christine track (and second favorite by the Mac) is "Why". With Lindsey it's harder to pinpoint (there are so many gems) but overall I think his best and most consistent work was on "Out of the Cradle". I've been to three Fleetwood Mac concerts - the Rick/Billy, the Dance, and the Buckingham/Nicks lineups. I enjoyed them all but the Dance concert blew the others out of the water. And yes, perhaps you can tell by my username, I really dig early Fleetwood Mac too but this is already way too long to detail my first impressions of the earlier incarnations of the band. Oh well, that's enough for me.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My life in a nutshell.
Actually i really enjoy tormenting them with it! I have a Stevie or Fleetwood mac analogy for just about any day to day situation; and now i start talking about it sub-conciously it's very strange, but i love it!

~Well You Cannot Know A Dream~
~Until You've Known The Nightmare~
Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I saw them on their first tour after Stevie and Lindsey joined the group, I believe 76-77...and yes, I'm that old! LOL
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in 77, I was 15 yrs old when I first heard Dreams on the radio, I bought Rumour's album the following day, I played Gold Dust Women over & over that day I loved that song sooo much, wagged school the next day with 6 of my girl friends just so we could play the record all day, singing & having so much fun pretending to be Stevie!!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Ledgie

i had an older 1/2 sister (like 14 yrs) and I used to spend summers with her and her hubby. I was about 9 yrs old. She was playing The White Album and Rhiannon came on....I was immediatly entranced. I think I was always a spooky lil girl so I liked the mysteriuosness of the song. I just kept playin, playin and playin the that song. My bro n law was a DJ for one of the top stations in Nashville at the time and I would call him to play rhiannon several times a day. So of course I went back to TX with the record. And I've been hooked ever since. I've heard some say they are sick of Rhiannon, never will I be. It always brings me back to a lil kid sittin cross legged on the floor with headphones on. I've have been to my share of FM & SN concerts but only once have I ever made it to the edge walk and that was about 4 yrs ago.

Last edited by sillydreamer64; 08-28-2009 at 01:08 PM..