Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How did you become a fan?

howd you guys become a fleetwood or stevie or lindsey fan?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this is embarrassing but I will go ahead and share it.

I used to be into hiphop/r&b pretty heavily. When Destiny's Child came out with Bootylicious, I was hooked on that riff. While in the car, listening to a classic rock station...Edge of Seventeen came on. Now, at the time I was familiar with Fleetwood Mac but it wasn't "cool" to be into what mom and dad listened to. So anyway, it comes on and I'm like why in the hell would this station play Bootylicious?? and my mom literally goes "oh for God's sake, that's Stevie Nicks" so that night when we got home I went straight for the computer and learned everything I could about her and then went on to Fleetwood Mac.

I have been a rabid freak-fan for like 8 years now.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, 1979 in London, I saw Tusk promotion posters and found the blonde girl very pretty, the guy with the curls quite sexy and the blonde woman sneakin' behind him quite interesting. I read the name Fleetwood Mac but had no idea what that meant.

On the way home to germany, I heard a song on the radio. "Tusk". That was it.
Later I found out that I knew quite some songs from Rumours and from the Blues aera, but that was later.

Edit to add; Wow, I'm a fan for exactly 30 years now. Boggles my mind.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My parents had always been into a little mac, and I'd heard songs before. But when School of Rock came out and Edge of Seventeen was played in the movie I thought that song sounded really cool. So I asked my dad about it and he showed me the boxed set that she released a couple of years ago, two CD's were missing but the one that was left had edge of seventeen on it. After that I started listening to a lot of the classic rock stations and started listening more to the mac, now I'm pretty much addicted to them, but I dont know if I would have been if it wasnt for school of rock haha
Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my story:

I was at home and my dad came home after being out in the town, shopping food or something, and he had bought the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album. He said "This is a group called Fleetwood Mac" and he put on Dreams, and I thought it was awesome! Stevie's voice was incredible! I listened to some of Christine's songs too, Little Lies and Everywhere and I very much liked Seven Wonders, by Stevie. I looked at the photo in the booklet and read about them. I don't remember it very well, but I know that I was looking after facts and photos of Stevie Nicks the other day. I was on youtube.com searching after songs and it's how I became a Stevie fan. Like 4 months before I became a fan, Linda Schönnberg gave me a CD to me with different music on it and I thought "Isn't that Fleetwood Mac?" when I, 4 months later, heard some of the tracks, and yeah, it was, now I know that they were from The Dance concert I liked Kate Bush back then, in spring 2007 and she also liked her music and she gave me the CD to discover other music like Kate's and she gave me a CD with only Tori Amos songs on it. And I became a huge Tori fan and was a fan the whole summer and bought all her CD's etc...And then, in the authumn, it was Stevie and since then, I have been a Stevie/Mac fan I also want to tell you that when I heard Fleetwood Mac, some days later, me and my little sister Maja, dresses up in 80's style with big hair and strange clothes (LOL) and danced and sang to Little Lies and Seven Wonders in my room!!!!! Maja said "I want to be that one with the greates voice!" and I said "No, I want to be her!" Can you guess who we wanted to be??? Haha, Stevie of course! I tured out to be Chriss, she has a good voice to, and Maja was Stevie! That was really fun! No, Maja and my other sister Klara, kind of hate Fleetwood Mac and Stevie... And all Maja's friends too!!! The christmas, 2007, I performed Blue Denim, Edge Of 17 and Sorcerer live. It has been a year and a half since I first heard her wonderful voice and she has been a huge inspiration. She was the one who made me write my own songs and my first song was named The Rock'n'Roll Woman and was dedicated to her. She has also been my inspiration when it comes to painting, 'cause the only thing I paint is Stevie portraits, hehe! Now I got almost all the Stevie Nicks/Mac stuff...All Stevie's solo CD's and some in vinyl, all Fleetwood Mac (from 1975) Lp's and CD's. I got lot's of photos and almos all the dvd's. I have spent a lot of money buying their stuff in a year, I think, haha!

Well, that was my story and I hope you enjoyed reading it
Stevie is the Queen Of Rock'n'Roll and she will ALWAYS be in my heart.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting stories so far, everbody!

Here's mine:

I've seriously been a Fleetwood Mac fan for my entire 19 years of life. And before that even. No joke. My mother had "labor tapes" that were filled with tons of FM songs while she was pregnant with me. So I pretty much remember listening to FM while in the womb.

But anyways, every summer growing up my family and I would take a two-week vacation to various states. We drove it. My parents always had classic rock tapes/CDs (FM, Eagles, Journey, Heart, etc). Of course, at the time, like golddustdrummer said, it wasn't cool to like the music that your mom and dad liked. I liked, you know, '90s music (Britney Spears, all the boy bands, etc. Oh gosh that sounds terrible now looking back...). Looking back now, I could kick myself for not having been completely into that music back then. But still, that's all my parents listened to so I was kind of predestined to love it someday.

Finally, at some point when I was around 15 or so, I started realllllly getting into the classic rock that my parents listen to. I became obsessed with every FM album I listened to. I then proceeded to become obsessed with Stevie Nicks' husky, velvety voice that you either love or hate. I happen(ed) to LOVE it. So then I got all her albums. I now collect anything and everything FM/Stevie related.

That's kind of the evolution of FM in my life.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shawna: I love your story. It made me laugh.

Here is my story, that I OH so love telling:

My parents had an old record player and the WORST records too, like Grease and weird showtune type stuff. Anyway, I was 6 or 7 and didn't care, I just loved music, so I was totally rocking out. I never really did care what was cool to other people when it came to music. I remember hearing 'Little Lies" on the radio when I was maybe 6 or 7, maybe 8, and going "HEY--turn this up, I like this!" and like rocking out in the back seat all by myself. I mean, this was the mid 90s, so it's not like "Little Lies" was this new major hit at the moment.

Anyway, years pass, and it is 1997. I am sitting on the floor with my dad putting together a lamp, I think I am 11, and we're watching MTV and the preview for The Dance comes on. My dad tells me that he really wants to see that, that he kinda liked Fleetwood Mac back in the day. This WHOLE time, I am thinking, that might be kinda cool, I don't know what they sing, but it sounds like something interesting to watch.

The night The Dance aired on MTV, I was really thrown back in amazement. Who the heck is this lady? And who is this man on guitar? And why have I gone my 11 yrs without them in my life??? I immediately was hooked. When "Rhiannon" played, I KNEW, in that moment, that this would forever be MY band. And to this day, "Rhiannon" is my favorite song and will be the name of my first daughter.

After that night, everytime MTV replayed The Dance, I was watching it. I went out and bought all FM's cd's and for Christmas that year, my parents got me all of Stevie Nicks' cds AND a white tamborine AND a real Dale Tiffany blue lamp, lol. They encouraged this illness and now my dad is like "you spend too much money on Stevie stuff"--okay...but HE is the one who bought me this $400 blue lamp, so whatev.

Anyway, throughout the years, my connection with Stevie's songs have grown, especially after my mom passed away, "HAEWAFY" become a new favorite.

I know, it's no great story, but it makes me happy to tell it to people who have stories to share as well. My best friend hates the fact that we have Fleetwood Mac posters in our room and concert pics everywhere...poor girl.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
howd you guys become a fleetwood or stevie or lindsey fan?
I was at a performance of Pelléas and Mélisande quite some time ago in New York. During Act III the Mélisande entered, attired in diaphonous chiffon & silk opera hat. Next, the Pelléas appeared (a tenor), wearing a kimono & bell-bottom denim.

Something just clicked in my head.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me it was the summer of 1977, right around the 4th of July, and I was in the car with my mother and Gold Dust Woman came on the radio. I was immideately transfixed. I asked my mom who this was and she told me, and the rest as they say, is history.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My love for Stevie/Fleetwood Mac I owe all to Tom Petty. Through him I discovered Stevie. I had heard of her before, of course, but I've always been the kind of person who likes individual songs more than specific groups which unfortunately means that while I liked some of her stuff, I hadn't ever actually gone to a record store and bought and any cd's or anything. So, when I saw her walk out on stage with Tom, it was one of those lightbulb moments, like "oh my god...Stevie Nicks...where the hell have I been?" Suddenly, I just got it! Mind you, at this point, she hadn't even begun to sing yet. Then the music started and she grabbed her tambourine and I was completely sold. After that, I started looking for anything and everthing I could find which of course led me right to Fleetwood Mac. It was then that I realized that so many of the songs that I had loved for so long were FM songs. I remembered being younger and the Little Lies video being on tv and thinking that I actually liked it and this Fleetwood Mac band was actually pretty good. So that's what I wanted to find first. I couldn't remember the song, but I knew I was looking for the video of them in the barn. I found it...and then I was caught up in this whole world of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Needless to say, I have been collecting everything I could from that moment on.

So, thank you Tom Petty!! I will forever be grateful
Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to say Go Your Own Way first caught my ear as far as FM goes...... I remember hearing it on the radio in the late 70's but I could never understand what they were saying for some reason??? But I knew I really liked the song a lot...... then my brothers girlfriend one day had the Rumours album and was playing and singing to Dreams.....after studying the album and listening to the whole thing I was then officially hooked--I would guess this was around 1977 but it could have been 1978 I honestly don't remember..... I remember hearing Rhiannon on the radio back in the day and my brother saying the girls name was Stevie and I didn't believe him because that wasn't a girls name!! ha ha But it wasn't until Rumours that I was really hooked and could say I knew who Fleetwood Mac was.... and as a little funny I used to think Christine and John were sister and brother!! ha ha Hey I was young.......

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My story goes back to when I was four yeas old. Edge of Seventeen is the first song I have a memory of hearing, taking notice of, and liking. My mom and I were in the Monroeville mall parking lot, and we were about to get out of the car when the riff started--all shopping expeditions were immediately delayed as my mom started telling me how this song had always been her favorite. We cranked it up and danced inside our little buick. Later that day, I tried asking her what the song was called, but I really thought the lady singing had been saying "just like the one we heard" in the chorus. I was getting no answer fast by asking what the song was that was "just like the one we heard," so I put it out of my mind...although how successfully, I'm not sure, since this is the first detailed memory I have of my childhood.

I had another isolated incident of obsession when I was ten. I was at my Grandma's channeling surfing and heard Stevie's version of "Free Falling" on Party of Five. Instantly another "this is the best thing I've ever heard" moment began, and when I heard the Tom Petty version hours later in the car with my father, I begged him to tell me who the girl was who sang the "original." My dad told me that I must be confused, Tom Petty's version was the real deal and had only been out for a couple of years. I had struck out once more.

Another four years went by before I took my mom's Timespace cassette out of her car when I was looking for something to listen to. I now knew who sang Edge of Seventeen, and I was addicted to everything else on the album. I started collecting anything I could get my hands on by Stevie, and when that led to Enchanted and "Free Falling," I had the strangest sensation that I had unknowingly been obsessed with this woman for as long as I could remember.

I've now made it to almost twenty, and many concerts, friends, memories, and one tattoo later, I'm still glad we didn't get to that parking lot just a few minutes earlier.
You're so like me
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mirage Video

I actually started out a Fleetwood Mac detractor. I had made fun of Bill Clinton for liking them, to the astonishment of my father who was a longstanding fan of the Rumours lineup and even owned Bickingham Nicks on vinyl. Turns out my mom had her own copy of Buckingham Nicks on vinyl.

Twelve years ago a friend and I were set to watch a video of a different band. One thing I like to do sometimes is have a little "opening act" -- three songs or so from another artist before watching the main video. My friend had the Mirage video and Fleetwood Mac had been quite visible of late due to the Dance video and tour. I thought let's give them a shot for a couple songs.

Well Stevie's vocals on The Chain had me hooked from the start, and the playing of Lindsey and really the whole band opened my eyes wide and left me amazed. Suffice it to say we watched the whole video and I was a convert. Stevie's vocals and Lindsey's solo on Go Your Own Way finished off the conversion experience in high style. (I love that final "another lonely day" that Stevie sings by herself.) The whole band just cooked. And to think it would be one of their last shows for fifteen years.

Last edited by cbBen; 08-09-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

I have always loved listening to "Rhiannon", "Dreams", "Little Lies", "GYOW" ect. when they came on the radio. So in my early teens I bought the Greatest Hits and then The Very Best Of cd's.. and I found even more songs I loved that I didn't really realize they sang like "Sara" and "Gypsy". I still wasn't listening to Stevie solo stuff yet.. I was into "Britney Spears" and such.. Stevie seemed wild to me because really the only pics that stuck out in my mind of her was TOSOTM cover that my mom had a cd of... and I thought "whoa!"
So anyway I ended up watching "Silver Springs" sometime during The Dance and I fell in love with it. So I got to listening to my FM tunes and I realized I loved all the ones Stevie sang so I figured I'd get her greatest hits cd's and listen to them. So I fell in love with her solo stuff as well. From then on I have been addicted to her and FM! I get every cd/album/book/dvd I can get my hands on. I love the music, I can relate to soo much of it.. I have a room dedicated to them with all my stuff on the walls. Records, posters, and pictures. Now I am 27 and they are still and will always be my #1 band and Stevie my #1 solo artist.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's see, I became a life long Fleetwood Mac/ Stevie Nicks fan in March 2008 . For some reason I had been listening to my 'Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' CD non stop before my trip to see my dad in CA. Rhiannon, Sara, Landslide, Gypsy, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop were songs I've always known and loved but I wasn't 'FM's biggest fan' yet. I went to visit my dad in Mountain View California. (Btw, my parents also loved Fleetwood Mac. They saw them on the Tango tour. Dad had to miss the San Jose and Oakland shows for my graduation). It was my last day and we were going to a Sharks game. He told me to pick put two CD's to bring; The Beatles 1's and Very Best of Fleetwood Mac. We listened to The Beatles on the way there and on the way back it was Fleetwood Mac. On the way to the airport the next day, it was still in the CD player. I hate to fly so he played Sara to calm me down. Tusk came on two songs later and my step my mom said something about 'I use to burn a hole in this CD!' and I was like ohh I should listen to this. I thought it was incredible! When I got home I had to listen to Tusk. Then I remember looking Fleetwood Mac up on YouTube and found Silver Springs. After I was done being amazed by what I hadjust seen, I had to know everything about Fleetwood Mac, I was hooked. Now I credit that band, espically Stevie with changing and saving my life. They mean the world to me and I'm greatful to have them come into my life when they did. And that is my story!

Last edited by ILoveFM; 08-08-2009 at 09:41 PM..