Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lay Down For Free is underrated

Lay Down For Free...its really bl**dy good!

When the album came out this was one of the songs that was regularly dismissed by critics and fans. Even now very few fans seem to regard it in any high esteem from what I can tell. I think its time for a review of that opinion.
For me this song has grown on me more than any other on the album. I think that's always a good sign...the best music rarely ever jumps out at you straight away but instead needs to be appreciated. In another thread a fellow Ledgie bemoaned it as being another Lindsey finger-picker. On the one hand I know where he's coming from. Lindsey seems to be increasingly falling back on the finger picking style- I think maybe he's trying to cultivate a particular style he can call his own in order to cement a legacy among the pantheon of great guitarists. However, when you listen back to Lay Down For Free on record the guitar work is pared back considerably. Its a bit twangy in places but overall there isn't a huge amount of the irritating finger picking really. For some reason LDFF reminds me a bit of IKINW; they dont sound the same but they seem to be structured in the same vein. Initially I thought this song to be the inferior partner song to Love Is Here to Stay. Now I much prefer it.

Overall I'd say its a slow burner that's become a real favourite.
Are you with me?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm with you! I posted about the song when it was declared the second single: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?p=1215195 I liked it right away. His vocals sound less processed on this song.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I'm with you! I posted about the song when it was declared the second single: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?p=1215195 I liked it right away. His vocals sound less processed on this song.

To be honest, I didn't even notice it being released as a single. That must have completely passed me by. I might be wrong but I think it must actually count as the 5th single... In My World, Feel About You, Sleeping Around the Corner, Red Sun, Lay Down For Free.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's my favorite song on the album.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 PM

I think, (and now I"m not sure). it was Homer that said he wasn't crazy about Love his Here To Stay because of the fingerpicking.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this song. It's my favorite song on the album, and it reminds me of songs on Rumours.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think, (and now I"m not sure). it was Homer that said he wasn't crazy about Love his Here To Stay because of the fingerpicking.
Yes, I'm the finger picker pointer. And it was Love Is Here To Stay that I was pointing my finger at.

But since you bring it up, those TWO songs are my least favorites on the album.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the entire album is underrated. I think this album is a masterpiece. To listen to these 10 songs back to back and enjoy everyone of them it's like listening to a........................Fleetwood Mac album.😎
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I think the entire album is underrated. I think this album is a masterpiece. To listen to these 10 songs back to back and enjoy everyone of them it's like listening to a........................Fleetwood Mac album.😎
I said that they're my least favorite. Not that I don't enjoy them.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's def top 4 for me now (along with OWTS, GoP, CB)--and very possibly #1. It's the one I'm most likely to be singing in my head (or maybe even accidentally out loud when I'm on the elliptical at the gym -- ). From the first listen of the album, I knew I responded to it musically (it's got that catchy-chorus-rush that's signature Lindsey), but this line haunted me from the start:

Quote:
I touched you
But you were not alone
I reached for you
But you were not at home
I stood by beside our broken bed
Her voice said, calling in my head
Makes me think of Stevie and Lindsey

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It's def top 4 for me now (along with OWTS, GoP, CB)--and very possibly #1. It's the one I'm most likely to be singing in my head (or maybe even accidentally out loud when I'm on the elliptical at the gym -- ). From the first listen of the album, I knew I responded to it musically (it's got that catchy-chorus-rush that's signature Lindsey), but this line haunted me from the start:

Makes me think of Stevie and Lindsey
I felt like it was about Stevie telling Lindsey that she won't make an album unless it makes $$$$. I won't lay down for free.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM
button-lip
This message has been deleted by button-lip.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I felt like it was about Stevie telling Lindsey that she won't make an album unless it makes $$$$. I won't lay down for free.
i thought it was broken band not bed. but either works.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i thought it was broken band not bed. but either works.
It just really fits her lack of creativity and recent declarations that she wants money in order to venture into anything.