Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Warner to dissolve Rhino???

Don't know how this will affect any future FM remasters after the White Album and Tusk if it's true. Rhino usually puts together some really nice reissues. Here's a link to a long thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29320

Last edited by worldturning75; 02-21-2004 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Well I must admit, I still don't really know how labels like Rhino exist as they seem to have just gone from label to label getting out what they could of their vaults before moving on to the next one in their reissuing ways so maybe they'll just be going to their next label to buddy up with (rather than just stopping)?

I don't know, I'm guessing that they've already done all of the plans on the FM back catalog remasters and are just keeping it all under wraps until they're good and ready to release them so even if they did cease, the stuff already planned and developed would get released at some point, who knows though, we can hope this will be the case anyways.

John
Old 02-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Goodbye Rhino!!!

Or Not release any of them!!!
We want to get Tusked! Sky
Old 02-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I had noticed that Rhino wasn't mentioned at all in the press release and articles about the upcoming remasters, and I believe they weren't mentioned in regards to 'The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac' either. That title was issued under the "Warner Strategic Marketing" banner, and I'll bet that the upcoming reissues will carry that tag as well.

Some of the Rhino guys (Bill Inglot, David McLees) were involved with the releases, but the Rhino name was never officially attached to the projects, it would seem.

Also, 'TVBoFM' was never available thru Rhino's main website, only thru OnlyHitMusic.com, and the press release for the reissues stated that they too would be available thru OnlyHitMusic.com.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I doubt this will affect any future Mac reissues negatively.

(Oh, and Cammie... 'Tusk' is already on the release schedule, so it's definitely coming out.)
Old 02-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I'm sure Johnny Stew is right as, although the "Tusk" DVD-A isn't mentioned in the main Mac piece in the new ICE magazine, it's listing in the release dates section has it as "Reprise" under the 3/23 "From the vaults" section and the article lists the remasters as being "unveiled by Warner Bros." (?) so maybe that's why David McLees was making such a big deal when I spoke to him about how he wanted it known that he worked for Warner Strategic Marketing and NOT Rhino? Well, whatever, who knows?

John
Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Because these re-issues are high-profile, they were more than likely prepared by Rhino and upstreamed to Warners, who will take care of the marketing and distribution. Typical situation.

Rhino is in less danger of being folded than WBR, Elektra, Atlantic, Reprise, Maverick, etc- any of the labels under the WMG umbrella. The new trend in trying to streamline the record companies is to basically fold the individual labels together, using the same staff aside from executive-level and A&R- much more cost-effective.

A label like Rhino actually makes money- not a whole lot, but they do consistently. They have small P&Ls, but ones without much risk- they don't have monster bombs or mistakes like the other labels end up with. A label like Rhino, or Sony's Legacy, does just fine with their small potatoes...