Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Better late then never - London Weekend Review

I know Livia will probably faint that I have finally done this....

London Weekend!

I’m finally getting around to writing my review of the London weekend seeing FM! After negative comments following my other reviews I wasn’t going to bother but I know some people do want to read this so I thought I would go ahead anyway!!

I can’t tell you how much I was looking forward to this weekend. The two concerts at the NEC had made me hungry for more and I wondered if Stevie and Lindsey would recognise me again! I would not be disappointed! Louise and I set of early on Saturday morning and headed for Earls Court to meet up with fellow Ledgie Livia who had flown in from the USA for the gigs. I hadn’t seen her since Vegas TISL in 2001 so it was very cool to see her again. It was so cool to exit the tube station in front of Earls Court and see the ‘Shrine to Fleetwood Mac’! LOL! A very impressive sight! We went to check into our hotel only to discover there had been a flood and they were moving us to another hotel but we would have to come back at 2pm. So we left our stuff in Livia’s Anne Frank room (named due to it’s size) and went off to see some of London! We had planned to go along to Harvey Nichol’s and it also turned out that FM were staying in the hotel dead opposite – The Mandarin Oriental! After some vodka and wine tasting in HN (hic) we headed across to road to check out the hotel. We decided to go and have a drink in the hotel bar and we spotted this huge guy in there and wondered if he had anything to do with the band. He looked like a bouncer of some sort and appeared to be waiting for a call. We hung around in there for a while and then fellow Ledgie Tommer joined us. We had only been there a short time when we saw Mick wandering up the stairs (from the gym we think). After a while we saw the huge guy take a call and then walk out so we decided to go after him to see what was happening. I wandered around a corner and there was James Brown and his entourage walking towards me! Chin on floor moment! I scooted back round and found the others and James gave us a nod as he headed into the lift!

Livia and Louise then headed outside to see if anything was happening and soon came back for me and Tommer and told us that the cars were waiting outside for the band! There was a black limo and some Mercedes and these were the same cars we had seen the band arrive in when we were waiting in Birmingham. To confirm it further they had big signs in the windscreen saying Fleetwood Mac! LOL! There was just the four of us waiting and another chap who we got chatting to. He told us that John wasn’t staying at this hotel with the others and that he had gotten a tip off from a photographer friend of his. We also had a bit of a chat with the limo driver. Luckily it wasn’t as cold as it had been in Birmingham. After a while we saw Mick come out of the main entrance and head for his car. The other guy waiting dashed over and I think he got something signed. Soon after out came Lindsey with Kristen. We went over to him and as he was getting into the car he signed something for Tommer. I put my hand out to shake his hand and took it and said ‘Hi’ and then looked up and me and said ‘Oh Hi!’ in a kind of I know you voice! LOL! Soon after that Stevie’s Dad came out and got into a Chrysler Voyager with some other people and that car sat waiting for Stevie to come and get into the limo. Stevie came out and it was hard to see her… she looked so tiny and her security guy was holding an umbrella over her (no rain – this was to hide the curlers..lol) I’m sure she was wearing something light coloured… not sure if this was a coat or something. I scooted round to the other side of her and she got into the limo keeping her eyes down. She had her huge curlers and no make-up but still looked fabulous. The guy waiting was trying to get something signed but the security guy told him to give her some privacy as she was in her curlers!

So we head back to check into the hotel and go and meet up with some Fireflies and Ledgies. Time was getting on by now. The hotel was the pits but we just dumped our stuff and headed to meet up with everyone. So nice to put faces to names. There were a lot of us there on the Saturday night and most of us were down the front! Was gutted that Wendy and Lisa had to go home due to various disasters.
We planted ourselves to the right of Stevie’s mic (weren’t allowed in front as I’ll explain later) and I had brought the gift with me that I hadn’t been able to give her the 2nd night at the NEC. I had a cunning plan this time thought and had tied a red helium filled balloon to it so she couldn’t miss it!! Met up with everyone down the front – the lovely Dorothy from Boston joined us again as did the usual gaggle of Fireflies.
The show as always was awesome. They were on fire for their first night in London. Lindsey saw me pretty much as soon as he scanned the audience and I got a nod and a smile. Stevie seemed a little serious to begin with but I later learned her father wasn’t well so this was understandable. She did look our way after a while though and gave the first of many very nice smiles! This night was also the first time on the UK tour that Stevie put on the tan platforms for Gypsy. They are gorgeous and I wish she could where them more often. I also want to know where she got the coat she wears for Gypsy! It’s beautiful. Lindsey had his usual fun playing up to the audience. I totally see him in a new light after seeing him in the flesh! He is awesome! The show seemed to pass in a flash and before I knew it they were singing Don’t Stop. At the other shows Stevie has always taken gifts after Goodbye Baby but for some reason I held mine up after Don’t Stop. This was lucky as they didn’t come back on stage due to time constraints. The balloon worked and she spotted it and walked towards me smiling. She took the present and then took my hand with her other hand and said ‘I got your letter, thank you for your letter’ It was hard to hear her and she must have realised this as she made a writing gesture with her hand! I could only nod and smile! LOL! A very cool moment. The only downside for me were the few people who wanted to sit through the entire show and refused to let anyone stand in the area in front of them which was in front of Stevie’s mic. They got security to try to get people to sit but security seemed unsure what to do as they had been told people could stand. When I looked round it looked like everyone on the floor in the front block was standing, apart from this small group of people. So there was this area in front of Stevie with no-one standing at all until towards the end of the show when people did start to fill it and those seated had to stand.

We all started to pile out a little disappointed that Goodbye Baby hadn’t been played but still on a high from the concert. Livia, Louise and myself decided to head back to the Mandarin Oriental as we had heard that the men from the band have often been seen after gigs in the bar. The bar was packed so we decided to leave and as we came out of the hotel Lindsey Buckingham was just getting out of a car! Was slightly stunned but went up to him and said hello and he said ‘Oh Hi’ He did recognise me but by now could be thinking I’m some kind of stalker! LOL! I told him I had enjoyed the show and he said thanks and then I shook his hand and planted a kiss on his cheek! I have no shame! LOL! And away we went. We thought we would wait a little longer to see if anyone else showed up and Bryan Ferry came out of the hotel! So the Mandarin Oriental is the place to go to do a bit of celebrity spotting! Haha. By now our feet were killing us and we all wanted a drink so thanks to a tip off we headed to the hotel the crew were staying at. When we got there we could see quite a few people gathered round the bar. I spotted Brett and Taku and also Taku’s beautiful wife Arthel Neville. We sat slightly away from them but when Livia headed to the bar she got talking to Brett and he invited us to join them! He was such a nice guy. He recognised me and Louise from our front row spot. The crew we met were so nice. We stayed up til the wee hours chatting to some of them. The wardrobe lady was a sweetie and told us to find her before the show on Sunday and she would try to hook us up with some passes for the aftershow party on Sunday night. She also found it hilarious when we told her about people wanting to get Lindsey’s sweaty towel and said she collected tons of them up after every show! LOL! Eventually we headed back to our ‘hotel’ and crawled into bed at 6am knowing we had to check out by 10am! Knackered is an understatement!

Another good thing about seeing FM 6 times in the space of a few weeks is that you lose weight! I just didn’t have a chance to eat! That and I was broke after spending all my money on tickets! LOL! We met up with Livia on Sunday morning and dumped our stuff in her room again. Gem, Steff and Sara came to meet us but were heading home as Steff was feeling really ill. Me, Livia and Louise went in search of food and then met up with Lisa and Paul from the FM tribute band Fleetwood Bac. We decided some shopping was the order of the day so headed for wander around the streets of London! No band spotting today!

We headed to Earls Court early to see whether the backstage passes were going to happen. After talking our way past security at the gate we headed round to the back to see if we could find our friendly wardrobe lady and she did indeed present us with the passes! Very exciting! We headed back to Livia’s ‘Anne Frank Room’ and it was hilarious to see 5 of us trying to get ready in such a small space!! Back to EC and to meet up with everyone! Gem, Steff, Sara, Jon (sorry I didn’t realise who you were at first!!), Sarah and Rob, Dorothy, Ledgies Seteca, wondergirl and Madformac… and others… I’m sure I’m forgetting loads! Met more people inside once we were planted in front of Stevie’s mic. Nice to meet up with Kandace (Karma girl as I call her after her meeting with Stevie in Dublin) and Lian from the BN board. Sorry if I have missed names… it was lovely meeting you all!

Well the show was amazing. More Lindsey interaction and he pointed to me and Sa during Come and of course we played along as you have to for Lindsey! Hehe. Stevie noticed Kandace right away when her friends lifted her at the beginning and gave her a wave with her pinky.
Once again we were treated to a great show. They had started earlier this time and we got the full set. Everyone seemed to be standing right from the start. Mick announced that that Peter Green was in the audience which received a big cheer! It has been so nice to see all of these concerts with such good friends. It’s an experience we will never forget! Saw Debbie after the lights went up who had come over from Holland especially to see the concert. Once the show was over we hooked up with Livia and Tommer to try to find our way to the backstage area. This was a task and a half as no one seemed to know where we should go! Different security people were sending us different ways but finally we found it. Let me tell you backstage is pretty dull…. And the drinks are expensive too!!! There were a lot of people back there who I didn’t recognise but after a while Mick’s wife came in with their twin girls who were very cute and lively considering how late it was! John also came in followed by Mick and Peter Green. They chatted to people and I did go and shake Mick’s hand and thank him for a great show. I also spotted Sheryl Louis (Stevie’s manager) and asked went to talk to her. She seemed very nice and approachable and I asked if Stevie would be out or if she would be willing to see anyone for a few minutes (well you have to ask!!) She explained that her Dad had been unwell and that she might have left already but she would check and see. Probably a brush off but if I hadn’t asked I would have kicked myself! We hung around for a bit longer but when it was pretty clear that neither Stevie or Lindsey would be out we decided it was time to go home. Despite not getting a chance to meet Stevie it was still an experience to be backstage and I’m sure Tommer and Livia would agree.

Well that’s about it for the London weekend. I should have written this sooner as things do get fuzzy after a while. I’m sure Livia and Tommer will have things to add that I have probably missed.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

How spiffy, Pip!! I'm so glad you got backstage, even if to just be able to say you did... and even more excited that you got to meet Brett! What I would give... ::crosses fingers and makes a wish:: I've got at least one more chance...

a bell is not a bell until you ring it.
a song is not a song until you sing it.
love wasn't put in your heart to stay.
love isn't love until you give it away.

when life hands you lemons, stick them down your bra and make your boobs bigger
Old 02-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by pianogirl04
How spiffy, Pip!! I'm so glad you got backstage, even if to just be able to say you did... and even more excited that you got to meet Brett! What I would give... ::crosses fingers and makes a wish:: I've got at least one more chance...
Brett is very approachable Kortni... Hope you get a chance to meet him!

Pip
Old 02-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Pip!

You just took me back to being in London and meeting everyone and the shows...*SIGH*

I wish the band (or at least Lindsey..hehehe) had come out while Seteca and I were in the Mandarin. Ah well...we tried at least.

I am wondering about Lindsey reading the letter I (or actually, Madformac LOL!!!) gave to him at the Sunday show. I hope he was touched by it, as the people who did get to read it were anyways.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the review, Pip. Sweet memories.....

Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default review

Thanks for sharing your night!
How wonderful!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Pip, i agree with every word. you girls were great and i'll eternally cherish the time i spent with you all. (and i'm sorry for the times i was a little too high )
just a quick related story, 2 days ago i started a course in critic writing, and the lector asks for each one's subject to write a review about for next week. she doesn't seem too interested till it's my turn. and obviously i go "i'm writing a FM concert review" and the woman's shocked! (do consider that since FM or SN never performed here it IS rather unique.. ) and she asks "have you seen stevie nicks?!?" to which i replied "of course, 3 times already, last time was like 10 weeks ago" so she said " that's a review i'd LOVE to read! so how does stevie look these days?" so i ask her back: "as a fabulous rockstar from 5 meters' distance or wearing no make up and with rolls in her hair from half a meter away?"
critic writing is now officially my favorite course for this semester.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommer
so i ask her back: "as a fabulous rockstar from 5 meters' distance or wearing no make up and with rolls in her hair from half a meter away?"
Excellent comment Tommer!!

Pip
Old 02-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

Hey Pip, Great account of an unforgettable weekend. There's nothing wrong with your memory. Thanks for all the intimate details. I feel as though I just relived those magical London concerts. I hope we can do it again soon... D~~~~~~
"These days Lindsey deals with me on a much kinder level. And I'm more willing to be open with him. It's nice to think that I might go to my grave being Lindsey's friend and not a thorn in his side for all eternity."
~~~Stevie Nicks - August, 1997~~~
Old 02-25-2004, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golddust
Hey Pip, Great account of an unforgettable weekend. There's nothing wrong with your memory. Thanks for all the intimate details. I feel as though I just relived those magical London concerts. I hope we can do it again soon... D~~~~~~
Hey you! Did you get the picture I sent you of LB signing my BN album??

Pip
Old 02-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know Livia will probably faint that I have finally done this....
*THUD* LOL I've been having computer problems at work and we've been very busy lately, so I've barely had time to add my comments, but I will!!

Old 02-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hi Pip

As usual all your reviews are interesting to read and I really enjoyed the London review, it all sounds really fabulous, you even make the hotel sound great even though you said it was 'the pits.'

I bought a book the other day called "Rumours and Lies" and had to laugh as I opened it and saw your name in the acknowledgements section, you are a 'star' in your own rights! lol.

As I said before in my review, at the MEN gig, the nearest I got to seeing FM was when I saw the band leaving through the gates in their vehicles and we managed to get a wave from Mick, I wanted to stalk them in their hotel, got a tip off from security where they were staying but my husband wouldn't come with me, he said I was loopy (which I am) but talk about bursting my bubble. I had to make do with a kebab instead, I was well gutted!

Anyway, thanks again for your review. Nice to see you back on the board, was wondering where you have been lately.

Best wishes

Lorraine