User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Unhappy RIP Randy Meisner

Take it to the limit is one of the best Eagles songs and that says a lot! He was responsible for the high harmonies that made Eagles songs famous. He was shy and never wanted to take lead vocals. The story I heard and someone can correct me but his leaving the band was eventually over Henley and Frey demand he sing Take It To The Limit while he was sick (among other band drama and health issues).

According to band colleague Don Felder, Meisner's time in the band was weighed down by his desire to be with his family and by the constant bickering between members; the discord was still unknown to the public at the time. During the 1976/77 tour in support of the album Hotel California, Meisner suffered from ill health and exhaustion while the band toured frequently for over eleven months. Meisner also preferred not to be the center of attention, and said: "I was always kind of shy ... They wanted me to stand in the middle of the stage to sing 'Take It to the Limit,' but I liked to be out of the spotlight."[27] The band was starting to feel the strain in a long tour, and Meisner was unhappy – his stomach ulcers had flared up, and his marriage was also gradually disintegrating.[28] He had been arguing with fellow member Glenn Frey about his signature song, "Take It to the Limit", during the tour, as Meisner was struggling to hit the crucial high notes in the song.[29] At their show in Knoxville, Tennessee, Meisner decided to skip the song as an encore as he had stayed up late and caught the flu, and Frey and Meisner then became involved in an angry physical confrontation backstage.[29] After the altercation, Meisner was frozen out from the band,[28] and Meisner later said: "That was the end. . . I really felt like I was a member of the group, not a part of it."[27] Meisner decided to leave the group after the final date of the tour and returned to Nebraska to be with his family. His last performance was in East Troy, Wisconsin on September 3, 1977.[30] The band replaced Meisner with the same musician who had succeeded him in Poco, Timothy B. Schmit, after agreeing that Schmit was the only candidate.[31]

Meisner formally quit the band in September 1977,[11] citing "exhaustion".[32] On the subject of his abrupt resignation from the band, Meisner later said, "All that stuff and all the arguing amongst the Eagles is over now. Well, at least for me."[3

Don and Glenn were ruthless SOBs. No wonder Stevie and Don hooked up.

Here is a clip from 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSeyp0p09w

Article about his passing
https://www.today.com/popculture/ran...dies-rcna96782

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-28-2023 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-28-2023, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had wished he’d be on this Long Goodbye Tour. May he be in peace.

I have seen Felder live before. I wish I could see him and Bernie Leadon, with Henley, Joe, Timothy, and Vince.
I saw Deacon live which was nice but Vince’s vocals are just so beautiful.
Sadly I think it would be hard to negotiate payment for Felder for the Long Goodbye tour since Henley and Frey expressed Felder asked for more than he deserved. Bernie I think would jump on for it no matter the offer.
I love Steuart Smith too. Just would love to see the originals.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Even though he quit nearly 50 years ago, he was still a multi- millionaire. He battled the bottle for years, too, which took it's toll on his relationships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Meisner
Old 07-28-2023, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I had wished he’d be on this Long Goodbye Tour. May he be in peace.

I have seen Felder live before. I wish I could see him and Bernie Leadon, with Henley, Joe, Timothy, and Vince.
I saw Deacon live which was nice but Vince’s vocals are just so beautiful.
Sadly I think it would be hard to negotiate payment for Felder for the Long Goodbye tour since Henley and Frey expressed Felder asked for more than he deserved. Bernie I think would jump on for it no matter the offer.
I love Steuart Smith too. Just would love to see the originals.
I’ve seen them a lot over the last 20 years and unfortunately I just don’t think I have it in me for this final tour. Probably the only thing that would sway me would be Felder being part of it but that was never going to happen.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I’ve seen them a lot over the last 20 years and unfortunately I just don’t think I have it in me for this final tour. Probably the only thing that would sway me would be Felder being part of it but that was never going to happen.
OMG yes. Felder coming back to the Eagles would be just as profound as when Christine came back to the Mac. I know they hate each other but why cant they just pretend to like each other like Fleetwood Mac and do it for the money
Old 07-28-2023, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's funny, per Felder's book, when the Eagles broke up, Henley tried to hire Felder as his guitarist, but wasn't offering enough money(I believe it was either 5k a week, or 5k a show, I forget now). Things must've really turned south after that...
Old 07-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It's funny, per Felder's book, when the Eagles broke up, Henley tried to hire Felder as his guitarist, but wasn't offering enough money(I believe it was either 5k a week, or 5k a show, I forget now). Things must've really turned south after that...
Henley and Frey. What a duo. Stevie could only hope to be as nasty. I’d love to know the split post-Frey. If anyone thinks Gill and young Frey are splitting Glenn’s share or that Schmidt and Walsh got a piece of it, I’ve got a bridge to sell.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Even though he quit nearly 50 years ago, he was still a multi- millionaire. He battled the bottle for years, too, which took it's toll on his relationships.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Meisner
His vocal on Take it to the Limit alone should make him a multi millionaire. Absolutely brilliant.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
OMG yes. Felder coming back to the Eagles would be just as profound as when Christine came back to the Mac. I know they hate each other but why cant they just pretend to like each other like Fleetwood Mac and do it for the money
Seems like it’d be even easier in Eagles. Henley and Felder could literally never interact once and it would work. And there’s no history of having screwed each other or morons in the audience pining for two geriatrics to rekindle their relationship that ended 50 years ago.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Henley and Frey. What a duo. Stevie could only hope to be as nasty. I’d love to know the split post-Frey. If anyone thinks Gill and young Frey are splitting Glenn’s share or that Schmidt and Walsh got a piece of it, I’ve got a bridge to sell.
It's been so long since I've read his book...I wish I could remember the numbers. It was split evenly 5 ways up until the 1980 breakup. I think Felder, Walsh and Schmidt dropped to 10% each upon the reunion.

But also, Felder was the last one who was a PARTNER in the band. Walsh and Schmidt came along too late for that offer to be made. So Felder owned a third of merchandising and all. And they were f*cking him(as you'd expect). He kept demanding to see the books....
THAT'S WHAT GOT HIM FIRED.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's been so long since I've read his book...I wish I could remember the numbers. It was split evenly 5 ways up until the 1980 breakup. I think Felder, Walsh and Schmidt dropped to 10% each upon the reunion.

But also, Felder was the last one who was a PARTNER in the band. Walsh and Schmidt came along too late for that offer to be made. So Felder owned a third of merchandising and all. And they were f*cking him(as you'd expect). He kept demanding to see the books....
THAT'S WHAT GOT HIM FIRED.
And who was right in the middle of everything? Good old Irving. They’re all just horrible humans
Old 07-29-2023, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And who was right in the middle of everything? Good old Irving. They’re all just horrible humans
They truly are. Don, Glenn, and Irving. Absolute scum.

When I watch pre 1980 stuff, Glenn comes across as a complete ASS. I see nothing likable about him. Self absorbed PRICK.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

When I watch pre 1980 stuff, Glenn comes across as a complete ASS. I see nothing likable about him. Self absorbed PRICK.
Some would say Irving just does his job. But Irving is not an ARTIST’S manager, Jon Landau is. Irving doesn’t believe in his legacy clients presenting new material.

Landau supports Bruce doing whatever he wants with his concert presentations.

I loved the Eagles’ Eden Tour because of the amount of new songs they did. It was a #1 album and they were proud of it but then after 2 years of touring it, they did the oldies. History of the Eagles was a good tour and was supposed to be their last tour, per Henley. But Glenn’s vocals were so bad, straining for notes.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

In the documentary I thought they did nothing to not look like complete assholes. It was refreshing that they didn’t try to hide it I suppose.

Being in these bands seems exhausting. At least the money is good.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the documentary I thought they did nothing to not look like complete assholes. It was refreshing that they didn’t try to hide it I suppose.

Being in these bands seems exhausting. At least the money is good.
I actually appreciated it, too. Kind of shocking that they'd let the world see that they(Glenn, especially) were f*cking assh*les.

You know, they DO have the top selling album of the last century...... think about that for a minute. A century! I think that leads us down the path that you have to be a ruthless, self absorbed ASSH*LE to truly become a household name.

Or you could just sleep your way to the top, like $tevie.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... what if $tevie had been UGLY? SERIOUS question.