User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I mean I dount the other 3 minutes of those songs are gonna be drastically different then the clip you heard. And I doubt sound quality is gonna turn a bad song into a great song or a great song into a horrible one. So if people really hated these clips, I don't think its fair to say to them, they're idiots for judging the album before hearing the whole songs.
Well, I'm not sure. I do think that there are vocal moments in a song, brief passages, that can save something that's otherwise mediocre. In so many songs, the last 40 seconds or so are really the point whether everything gets hotter and more dramatic. Maybe the tempo speeds up, the vocal gets more emotional or intense, a new guitar riff or lick is thrown in, additional lyrics accentuate the chorus. Lots of things can happen. I don't think a song goes from black to white in the spread of a minute, but for me it can change from a "C" to an "A" based on a few glorious moments.

Michele
Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I'm not sure. I do think that there are vocal moments in a song, brief passages, that can save something that's otherwise mediocre. In so many songs, the last 40 seconds or so are really the point whether everything gets hotter and more dramatic. Maybe the tempo speeds up, the vocal gets more emotional or intense, a new guitar riff or lick is thrown in, additional lyrics accentuate the chorus. Lots of things can happen. I don't think a song goes from black to white in the spread of a minute, but for me it can change from a "C" to an "A" based on a few glorious moments.

Michele

I have to say that I totally agree with you. I mean all that was posted was the intro to every song. As far as I'm concerned, the best part from DYMM was that bit towards the end when he altered the vocal melody in the chorus slightly, that brought one hell of a smile to my face. If I had only listened to the 1st 50 or so seconds, then I doubt I'd be as pleased with it as I am now.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I refused to listen to the clips. I'm going to wait until I get the actual CD and listen to it all the way through. I will agree with some of the earlier posts. I'm ready to hear Lindsey without the whispery voice! It would be okay sometimes, but I really hate it when you can't hardly tell one song from the next----same voice, same tone, same basic music. I don't want Lindsey to fall into that rut. He has always been so inventive and creative. Lindsey's music has always been different, and you can always tell one song from the next. I want it to stay that way.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin

Last edited by golddustwoman77; 08-12-2008 at 01:23 PM..
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
Lindsey's music has always been different, and you can always tell one song from the next. I want it to stay that way.
Really? Oh, I'll probably get flamed to hell and back for this, but even some of his stuff going back to Tusk is interchangeable to me from a sonic standpoint. That was NOT the case on Law and Order and certainly not OOTC, and I can always go back to those for some ear-tickling.

UTS was obviously deeply personal and moving, but from a production standpoint most of it was a mess. Click tracks left all over the place, muddy vocals, distortion that didn't sound intentional (esp. on the vocal tracks). Only a few songs show his true studio genius, "Down On Rodeo" being the best. That and "Red Rover" are my two favorite tracks of the current era from him.

There, and now I will pull on my asbestos coverall.

~Jamie
Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC View Post
Click tracks left all over the place, muddy vocals, distortion that didn't sound intentional (esp. on the vocal tracks).
I still don't get the click tracks but they've never really bothered me too much. I'm sure I could have done without them though.

None of the vocals really struck me as muddy. Which ones were you thinking of?

I get distortion on the chorus of It Was You on the "because IIIIIIIIII waited..." part on most of the speakers I play it on. I think it didn't distort my monitors or my studio headphones but I'll have to double check. That lead me to think that it had been mastered just too damn loud that most speakers distorted on that part due to the high RMS volume as opposed to the distortion actually being on the vocals. I'll need to double check that. Either way it's a mistake that shouldn't have happened. Any other points of distortion you noticed?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I still don't get the click tracks but they've never really bothered me too much. I'm sure I could have done without them though.

None of the vocals really struck me as muddy. Which ones were you thinking of?

I get distortion on the chorus of It Was You on the "because IIIIIIIIII waited..." part on most of the speakers I play it on. I think it didn't distort my monitors or my studio headphones but I'll have to double check. That lead me to think that it had been mastered just too damn loud that most speakers distorted on that part due to the high RMS volume as opposed to the distortion actually being on the vocals. I'll need to double check that. Either way it's a mistake that shouldn't have happened. Any other points of distortion you noticed?
I noticed this too. It's not distorting on our speakers, he just recorded it with too hot a signal. It was distorting at the source, so there is no way to make it sound like it isn't distorting on our end. If you were to listen to the original track, you would see that it peaked above 0db and he would have had to rerecord it to fix it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
I noticed this too. It's not distorting on our speakers, he just recorded it with too hot a signal. It was distorting at the source, so there is no way to make it sound like it isn't distorting on our end. If you were to listen to the original track, you would see that it peaked above 0db and he would have had to rerecord it to fix it.
But how could someone with so many years experience make such a simple mistake? Is it because it's digital instead of analogue? Maybe he thinks that if you record hot with digital you get the same nice saturation that you'd get from using a tape. If he's peaking above 0dB on the basic recorded track then he's about 18dB too hot How did he not hear the distortion and go back and fix it? I'm sure he must have heard it when he was mixing it.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But how could someone with so many years experience make such a simple mistake? Is it because it's digital instead of analogue? Maybe he thinks that if you record hot with digital you get the same nice saturation that you'd get from using a tape. If he's peaking above 0dB on the basic recorded track then he's about 18dB too hot How did he not hear the distortion and go back and fix it? I'm sure he must have heard it when he was mixing it.
I'm telling you guys -- his ear has cauliflowered in old age.

(This could also explain his strange fondness in recent years for a phased effect on vocals, with all the bottom end removed.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Sometimes that happens. I mean, when recording Alex for some of the demos we were doing, we'd frequently end up in the red. I had her about ten feet from the mic, a 20db pad on it, a nice Focusrite compressor and limiter, and the gain all the way down. She still managed to distort at times. Sir Mix-A-Lot's engineer in Tacoma said that one opera singer he recorded was about 40 feet away and she still hit the red.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

(This could also explain his strange fondness in recent years for a phased effect on vocals, with all the bottom end removed.)
I don't mind the vocal effects. It took me by surprise just how much bottom end he'd removed on Did You Miss Me but I didn't mind it and now I don't notice it.

I had wondered if it was something to do with him recording stuff outside the studio and he's trying to get rid of unwanted frequencies but he that's the case he's taking it to the extreme and removing way more than he probably needs to. I record in the crappiest sounded room around and I don't cut nearly as much low frequencies so I don't know what he's doing. (Although my best still isn't even close to Lindsey's worst in sound quality) He must just be doing it for effect.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Yeah, I don't get that. I thought his radio performance of DYMM sounded much better vocally than the actual studio version. Both versions could have used some autotune, but the live one was so much better sounding.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
Sometimes that happens. I mean, when recording Alex for some of the demos we were doing, we'd frequently end up in the red. I had her about ten feet from the mic, a 20db pad on it, a nice Focusrite compressor and limiter, and the gain all the way down. She still managed to distort at times. Sir Mix-A-Lot's engineer in Tacoma said that one opera singer he recorded was about 40 feet away and she still hit the red.
But Lindsey's no opera singer!

Alex must have some voice! I'd love to hear some of your stuff if you've got a link to some clips or anything. I never had a problem with clipping, but I've got a whispery, weak little voice so maybe that's why
Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
But Lindsey's no opera singer!

Alex must have some voice! I'd love to hear some of your stuff if you've got a link to some clips or anything. I never had a problem with clipping, but I've got a whispery, weak little voice so maybe that's why
I do! It's all on iTunes and Amazon under "Sinai 48". We also have a myspace page. For the best example of Alex's power, try her on our tune "You Don't Know". She kicks some serious butt there. If you pm me, I can email you a song.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow Gift of Screws

Lindsey's cd will be reduced to sawdust before it's even released! hehe Can't wait to read the manifestos when everyone actually gives listen with the cd in their hands! For additional reverb, give listen while your taking your evening constitutional.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it sounds pretty great. And I'll even go as far as to say that this could be his strongest album in years. Not sure about all you naysayers, but Lindsey Buckingham has been at his creative peak with every single new record. And he's still there today.
I love the sound of Under The Skin and the production on GOS sounds similar. It has nothing to do with his singing or lack there of. But it has a lot to do with wanting to do something new and interesting.