User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Looks like YouTube has pulled the sound bites.
good.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Looks like YouTube has pulled the sound bites.
They've also deleted a ton of videos by other artists just this week alone. It figures, right after I learned how to transfer a video to mp3!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
They've also deleted a ton of videos by other artists just this week alone. It figures, right after I learned how to transfer a video to mp3!
aww boo! that's not fair.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I'll bet any money that they were the finished product. They were just badly recorded so that the levels were all out of whack.
Ditto.....
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Ditto.....
Well, they were recorded in hotel rooms on a portable 16 track. Who knows what kind of mics he used?! I am a bit disappointed in the production quality, but the songs themselves are great. I hate the percussion style that he used on "Show You How", "Great Day" and other tracks where he's just tapping the mic for drum sounds, and the cheesy digital metronome as a percussion noise. It's funny he did that because he has such a reputation for being a great sound guy.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
the cheesy digital metronome as a percussion noise. It's funny he did that because he has such a reputation for being a great sound guy.
I could do without the metronome sounds as well. I don't mind the mic tapping but I have no love for the tip-tap-tip-tap of the metronome. I wonder what he thinks it adds.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like they've taken those songs down. No surprise there.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I could do without the metronome sounds as well. I don't mind the mic tapping but I have no love for the tip-tap-tip-tap of the metronome. I wonder what he thinks it adds.
Oh yeah, I also hate that contraily reverb he's been using like on "Castaway Dreams". It sounds like when I first started messing around with reverb units a couple of years ago. My singer was drowning in it. It seems the style of his songs would better fit a more natural sound, rather than using loads of reverb to fill up the empty space due to the spare rhythm section. There are different kinds of reverb that don't sound so fake that accomplish the same thing. It's minor, but it's annoying.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
Well, they were recorded in hotel rooms on a portable 16 track. Who knows what kind of mics he used?! I am a bit disappointed in the production quality, but the songs themselves are great. I hate the percussion style that he used on "Show You How", "Great Day" and other tracks where he's just tapping the mic for drum sounds, and the cheesy digital metronome as a percussion noise. It's funny he did that because he has such a reputation for being a great sound guy.
I was actually referring to the Youtube sound clips themselves, not the production values of the actual tracks.

I do agree re: the lameness of metronome/mic tapping in lieu of actual percussion. Then again, when has Lindsey ever exhibited solid musicianship/overall good taste with his drum/percussion tracks over the years? I'll never be able to take the Out of the Cradle recording seriously due to the lame, unnecessary, outdated (even for 1992) Fairlight-drenched drum machines featured on just about every track.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
I was actually referring to the Youtube sound clips themselves, not the production values of the actual tracks.

I do agree re: the lameness of metronome/mic tapping in lieu of actual percussion. Then again, when has Lindsey ever exhibited solid musicianship/overall good taste with his drum/percussion tracks over the years? I'll never be able to take the Out of the Cradle recording seriously due to the lame, unnecessary, outdated (even for 1992) Fairlight-drenched drum machines featured on just about every track.
He oughtta just have Gary Hodges or Mick Fleetwood come in. Gary would do it for the airfare.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I fully expected this to be pulled from youtube. Something just didnt feel right about those 10 tracks being posted up there. Also the fact that the didnt sound great raises eyebrows. I am not even sure if they are the final versions of the recordings which will be on the CD
Old 08-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
I fully expected this to be pulled from youtube. Something just didnt feel right about those 10 tracks being posted up there. Also the fact that the didnt sound great raises eyebrows. I am not even sure if they are the final versions of the recordings which will be on the CD
Sigh...

The clips were recorded via microphone off computer speakers to get around the embedded copyright restrictions of the actual tracks on the advance CD. They ARE the final versions.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Sigh...

The clips were recorded via microphone off computer speakers to get around the embedded copyright restrictions of the actual tracks on the advance CD. They ARE the final versions.
God I hope you're wrong
Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Ledgie

*passes out Xanax to all board members*

C'mon guys, lets not shoot the album down before it hits the streets.

Lindsey is a genious, he's a perfectionist, he's eccentric...bordering madness in the studio...he is what he is and I myself am just thankful to get new music period because lets face it---he has always sacrificed his personal works for the sake of new a new Mac album. He used to have alot more time to dedicate himself in the home studio but my "guess" is that his prioroties have changed and his attention to detail has mellowed with a wife and kids.

No, its not OOTC but what I heard was great---went in with an open mind to expect most anything and was pleased....very pleased.

I think we are getting our cart before our horses to judge it now---let it come out and keep an open mind and dont stress obver it! .
Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To those who are saying that you can judge the album by these small clips, well I think you're kind of right. You can get a pretty danmed good idea. I mean I dount the other 3 minutes of those songs are gonna be drastically different then the clip you heard. And I doubt sound quality is gonna turn a bad song into a great song or a great song into a horrible one. So if people really hated these clips, I don't think its fair to say to them, they're idiots for judging the album before hearing the whole songs.

He Will Burn You Down