The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question What Are Your Favorite Children's Stories?

So, what are they?

My favorite is Alice In Wonderland (and Through the Looking Glass).

When I was little, my grandmother rented the Disney version and I *loved* it. Then whenever anyone would go to the video store, I'd pick out another version of it and another and another. When I was a little older, my mom gave me the annotated books for Easter and, of course, I read them and loved them. Ever since, I am the *biggest* Alice In Wonderland freak. I collect everything that I can get my grubby hands on that has to do with it. I would probably say that I have 15 versions of it on video, countless book editions, a framed print of the original poster for the Disney movie, tons of toys that I keep stored away in a trunk, tons of stuff. My favorite item is a porcelain replica of Alice that was licensed by Disney in the 60s. And Stevie did a song based on Alice!

I also love the Berenstain Bears series. I have every one of their books from when I was little. They are some of my most treasures things becaus eof the memories I have of reading them with my mom when I was little.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked that one. I also liked "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe."

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked the Narnia series. I seem to remember liking the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books, and I was a big fan of Judy Blume, especially the Superfudge series.

And in middle school, I was *obsessed* with The Baby-Sitter's Club.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite as a kid was Matilda by Roal Dahl , I LOVED that book! Also, I like Peter Pan, I loved Christopher Pike books, these pre-dated R.L. Stine and Goosebumps and so on...and I also loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books!!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DrummerDeanna
My favorite as a kid was Matilda by Roal Dahl , I LOVED that book!
Anything that Dahl wrote was genius. I especially love The Witches! It's one of my faves.

I liked the first couple of Narnia books, but lost interest by the fourth one. I did, however, LOVE The Princess Bride (better than the movie) and The Neverending Story (better than the movie!!).

Old 01-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Anything that Dahl wrote was genius. I especially love The Witches! It's one of my faves.

I liked the first couple of Narnia books, but lost interest by the fourth one. I did, however, LOVE The Princess Bride (better than the movie) and The Neverending Story (better than the movie!!).
Anything by Susan Cooper, especially The Dark is Rising series. Far better than Narnia, IMO.

- Jake
Old 01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.)

I love that story.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I have yet to read The Princess Bride, and it's one of my fave movies ever. I love The Neverending Story too, but have never read it either.

I didn't read the Narnia books or Alice in Wonderland as a kid...I read them in high school. I went to a Christian school from kindergarten through 8th grade, we mostly read The Bible. LOL I had seen those BBC Narnia movies on PBS one morning when I was like 15, and fell in love with the story, so when our English teacher asked us to read a book on this list she made, I asked if I could read the Narnia books instead, and she said yes. I did the same thing with Alice in Wonderland. LOL

I'm not a big reader, although I do love to write. I love Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH too. The Secret of NIMH is one of my fave movies of all time. I like dark stuff, for some reason. LOL
Old 01-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: What Are Your Favorite Children's Stories?

Quote:
I also love the Berenstain Bears series. I have every one of their books from when I was little. They are some of my most treasures things becaus eof the memories I have of reading them with my mom when I was little.
I had a boatload of Berenstein Bear books and I even had a board game and a video. They have their own TV series on I think PBS that every once in a while I'll catch on. I loooved them.

Do you remember The Little Critter books? I loved those too
Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.)

I love that story.
d'accord et moi aussi - ma petite jeune fille

Old 01-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: What Are Your Favorite Children's Stories?

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
I had a boatload of Berenstein Bear books and I even had a board game and a video. They have their own TV series on I think PBS that every once in a while I'll catch on. I loooved them.

Do you remember The Little Critter books? I loved those too
I've only seen the new Berenstain Bears cartoon a few times, but I have tons of the old cartoons on video. Do you have a favorite book? Mine was the Berenstain Bears and the No Girls Allowed Club. Another great one was the Berenstain Bears Christmas; it was epic length for a BB book! "Deep in Bear Country...on a sunny dirt road." Luv em!

I loved the Little Critters, too. I thought they were adorable!

Has anyone read the childrens book Marianne Dreams? It's almost fifty years old and is from England, most people aren't familiar with it. It's quite dark and scary for a kids book, but it is one of the best ever written. Maybe Pip has seen it?

Old 01-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: What Are Your Favorite Children's Stories?

Quote:
I've only seen the new Berenstain Bears cartoon a few times, but I have tons of the old cartoons on video. Do you have a favorite book? Mine was the Berenstain Bears and the No Girls Allowed Club. Another great one was the Berenstain Bears Christmas; it was epic length for a BB book! "Deep in Bear Country...on a sunny dirt road." Luv em!
No Girls Allowed was a favorite of mine as was the one where brother breaks mother bears..i think it was lamp? The new baby book was cute too
Old 01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still love Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. It is just wonderful! I also loved Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books as a child. Judy Blume wrote the Hey God, Are You There, It's Me Margaret?, Tales of A Fourth Grade Nothing, Etc. Beverly Cleary wrote Dear Mr. Henshaw, Ramona Quimbey, etc. Some other good children's books are Holes, Tuck Everlasting, Sounder, and Charlotte's Web.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hmm, after seeing the movie, 'The Princess Bride' book was about the most disappointing thing I've ever read. It didn't at all have the magic and spirit of the film.
(The only other case I can think of, where I found the movie to be FAR better than the book, was 'Somewhere In Time.' The book it was based on, 'Bid Time Return,' SUCKED! What a waste of time.)

My favorite books when I was a kid, were the classic stories... 'The Wizard of Oz,' 'Beauty And The Beast,' and the like.

I also loved a zany little story called "Stand Back," Said The Elephant, "I'm Going To Sneeze!"... that one's a classic.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Somewhere in Time" is one of my favorite movies!!!!!

Jane Seymore is so incredibly beautiful. I love it when she looks up at Christopher Reeve and asks - "Is it you?"

Sighs!!!!