The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: It's a love/hate relationship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlene
At least they both spelled it right!
I dated a Karlene years ago. I always thought the spelling was just about the only thing right with her.

- Jake
Old 01-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm sort of ambivalent about my name. I don't love it or hate it... it just is.
And I've never really felt like a "Brian"... probably because I bear a strong resemblance to my mother's dad (who passed away in 1976) and her brother, both of whom are named Samuel... so the extended family (Great-Aunts & Great-Uncles, and 2nd & 3rd cousins), as well as family friends, have often called me "Sammy," because of it.

It's actually pretty hysterical when people who went to high school with my uncle (he graduated in 1977), see me and say, "Sammy! Oh my God, you still look just like you did in school!"

But overall, "Brian" is a good name... plus it means "strong and noble," so one could definitely do worse!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: It's a love/hate relationship!

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
I dated a Karlene years ago. I always thought the spelling was just about the only thing right with her.

- Jake

EEK! Whatta rip, Jake!

But not all Carlenes are bad.

I will, though, add your comment to my list of "sightings." I am always amazed when I hear about other people with my name (that was especially true when I was younger).

I think the country singer Carlene Carter is the biggest name I know of. (And what's with this country music connection!?!?) Maybe I missed my calling.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
I hate my name actually, although a lot of people like the name Justin. I don't get it, it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely, and usually when you try to say the name fast the 't' sound gets slurred or blunted, so it sounds like "Jussin." I was supposed to have been named Brent, which I would take over Justin any day, but honestly I don't know what name I would prefer most. Guys names aren't fun like girls' names.
I've always really liked the name Justin... it's masculine, and it has a great meaning (just, true, virtuous), without sounding at all stodgy or out-dated.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In a word, no.

I always get called Kristy, Kristin, Crystal.... It gets old.

Krista

Last edited by GypsySorcerer; 09-01-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I used to really dislike Sarah,but i think i have grown to really like it..and after all,it does mean Princess

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 01-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like my name......Danielle........and I like my last name so much that when I got married, I didn't change it! (I'm a rebel!)

I have one song of that I know of with my name in it....it's "Darlin' Danielle Don't" by Henry Lee Summer. I think he even released it as a single, but I don't think it went too far. oh well. What does the record-buying public know anyway? lol
Old 01-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maria Ann.

I agree with Brian, I don't like it or hate it. It just is. Not sure what it means. My pet-peeve is being called Marie.... takes me back to childhood, and when I hear someone call me that, I think I'm in trouble!

Maria
Old 01-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't mind my name, but I certainly don't feel like it fits me. My real name is Catherine, but people call me Kate. My nickname is really supposed to be Katie, but people always call me Kate. And I like Kate better than Katie... I think it fits me more

On another note, don't even bother asking me about my last name. I freaking hate it. I think my first name would sound better with Buckingham at the end but that sure ain't happening any time soon
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Speaking of name meanings, Joseph means 'He shall add children!' What the hell? Talk about getting a hint from the folks
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess my name's okay...but for some reason no one seems to know how to say it!! I've been called Dana, Dina, Diana (my BIGGEST pet peeve) at restaurants or whatever I always emphasize the DEEanna...ahaha..but it never fails, they write down Diana, and that's what they call out...it bugs me.

Anway, seems that there were several parents not wanting to give their kids hard names to spell....

My mom wanted to name me Danielle after an uncle (Daniel) I have, then she wanted to name me Emmanuel or Noel (the first two were too hard to spell, the last my dad hated) so somehow they ended up with Deanna
Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My dad's name is Daniel....and I am Danielle.... I have been told that I was almost a Christine. (LOL!)
Old 01-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never really liked my name, Deborah, a lot. I will introduce myself as Deborah and people will still call me Debbie which I hate. Deb is okay but I am definitely not a Debbie. Of course Deborah is better than Dorothy which my dad wanted to name me after his mom.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: It's a love/hate relationship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlene
Growing up, I hated Carlene because it was not common. I would have killed to have had the luxury to walk into a card store and pick up "Carlene" pencils and "Carlene" notepads!! All my friends had pencils with their names on it....why couldn't I?!?!
I was exactly the same way as a kid... you couldn't find jacksquat with "Meredith" on it... it used to piss me off!

Now I'm pretty neutral on my name. It's ok.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Ledgie

When I was little, I didn't like my name...but now I love it and the different sounds it makes.

My mother wanted to name me Lara after the character in Dr. Zhivago...but instead chose Laurie (my middle name is Ann)...She would absolutely LOATHE it when someone would pronounce it LOR-EEE... It had to have the proper inflection.

Now, when I got in trouble as a kid...I'd hear "Laurie ANN!!" and now when I hear it...I always feel like a little girl again

Most of the time people close to me call me "Laur"....which makes me feel good. You know when people feel close enough to you not to be so proper with you and are comfortable enough around you...So everytime I hear someone call me that, I find it very endearing

And I love when one of my friends calls me and I'm not home...she 'sings' my name..."Lauuuurieeeeeeee"....over and over until she realizes I'm not home