User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Did the doc hurt Lindsey?

I'm sitting here thinking that there has been lots of "haterade" (LOL!!) towards Lindsey lately after the doc. Anyone else feel that way? I don't mean hate in the literal sense of hating someone, I just mean, people look at him as a whiney (DANG, I hate that word right now along with cheesy) jerk who doesn't know what he's talking about. He's out of the loop and needs to get a life.

Did the doc change people's minds about Lindsey one way or the other?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Did the doc hurt Lindsey?

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I'm sitting here thinking that there has been lots of "haterade" (LOL!!) towards Lindsey lately after the doc. Anyone else feel that way? I don't mean hate in the literal sense of hating someone, I just mean, people look at him as a whiney (DANG, I hate that word right now along with cheesy) jerk who doesn't know what he's talking about. He's out of the loop and needs to get a life.

Did the doc change people's minds about Lindsey one way or the other?
No, even though I haver criticized him a bit, I love him just the same. It's like that you know, always criticize the ones you love? I just want what's best for Fleetwood Mac when it's a band effort. God, I'm starting to sound like Stevie!
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the most part, I think the documentary mostly just reinforced the feelings someone already had before they saw it. Most of the harshest criticism I've seen directed at Lindsey came from people who are generally critical of him anyway. Several of those comments started with "He's still just the same...." By the same token, most of the people who were more apt to empathize with Lindsey's point of view before seeing the doc still feel that way. Generally speaking.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It didn't change my views. He's still the genius mastermind behind Fleetwood Mac.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Ledgie

Location: where FM, blink-182, norah jones, the shins, white stripes & cursive hang out!

Quote:
He's still the genius mastermind behind Fleetwood Mac.
this documentary definitely confirms that!

Quote:
It's like that you know, always criticize the ones you love?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

He's talked a lot over the past 6 or 7 years, about being a better person now, and that fatherhood has allowed him the chance to move away from being "selfish" (his word, not mine)... so I guess being that I was expecting to see more of that, I was kind of surprised to see someone who appeared quite unwilling to compromise except when absolutely forced to.

But, at the same time, he seemed quite loving towards, and kind-hearted with, Stevie, and it's easy to see that they take the bickering and disagreements far better than we do!

As long as you don't focus only on the negatives, or, on the flip-side, don't totally turn a blind eye towards them, then we seem to get a more accurate view of Lindsey as a person, than we have ever had before.
So basically I think it was a good thing to see.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 PM

Actually, the documentary made me respect him a little more. I now understand better why certain decisions were made. And I am happy that he pushed his argument as far as he could take it.

I would have done the same.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Well...

When a man asserts himself, he's being pushy and aggresive, but when a woman does it, she's doing a good thing.

I thought we were supposed to fight for what we want? But yet, people always want us to change (our ideas and our minds).

I understand compromise and why it can be a good thing, I just don't get the double standard.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't very surprised by the way Lindsey seemed in the documentary. I've always gotten that type of impression of him, at least when it comes to the creative process, and it was nice to see him in action, to actually have something to base that impression on. I don't think any less of him, because I get the idea that he's always been that way in the studio, and that's how FM albums get made. Maybe it shouldn't be that way (I found myself asking how John stands it when it comes time to record an album) but that is how it is. It may not be the most ideal, but it produces some pretty good stuff when the day is done.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
I thought we were supposed to fight for what we want? But yet, people always want us to change (our ideas and our minds).
If we didn't fight for what we want, we'd still be a British colony!

So, support Lindsey and be a patriot. Otherwise, well, you know... the terrorists win.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

So, support Lindsey and be a patriot. Otherwise, well, you know... the terrorists win.
Have you been drinking

Seriously, I think the doc. confirmed the persona of LB - he is an artist and a brilliant one at that. He also likes to cause a little trouble here and there for those who like to play it safe - more power to him. I am just thankful he did not give the "cycles" speech - now THAT would have hurt him

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-23-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Have you been drinking
Now, that would be a worthy endeavour at this point.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
yeah but on the other hand, you'd be living in the neighbourhood of New Amsterdam.

(i first intended to write: sometimes I wish you still were. But one can push too far on one day-huh? )

But I agree. His fighting is a very important part of the creative energy in this band. And he did it quite controlled-so He's not damaged in my opinion. Aux contraire.

Last edited by shackin'up; 03-23-2004 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Well...

Quote:
When a man asserts himself, he's being pushy and aggresive, but when a woman does it, she's doing a good thing.
No offense, Christy... but that's actually an ironic statement!

Traditionally, men have always been allowed to be assertive and aggressive... in fact, it's actually encouraged, as it's viewed as reinforcing one's masculinity... but a woman who asserts herself is typically written off as a "difficult, demanding bitch."
Just look at so many famously strong-willed women... Madonna, Cher, Martha Stewart, Bette Davis, Eartha Kitt, Joan Collins, etc... and you'll see how negatively they're often viewed for their assertiveness.

It's a horrible double-standard that is still perpetuated.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
No offense, Christy... but that's actually an ironic statement!

Traditionally, men have always been allowed to be assertive and aggressive... in fact, it's actually encouraged, as it's viewed as reinforcing one's masculinity... but a woman who asserts herself is typically written off as a "difficult, demanding bitch."
Just look at so many famously strong-willed women... Madonna, Cher, Martha Stewart, Bette Davis, Eartha Kitt, Joan Collins, etc... and you'll see how negatively they're often viewed for their assertiveness.

It's a horrible double-standard that is still perpetuated.
Actually, it's quite the opposite.

In recent years, it's become frowned upon for men to assert themselves because it's a sign of being domineering and too aggresive; that the man is trying to prove his masculinity. On the other hand, when a woman does it these days, it's considered to be a good thing in the sense that she is asserting her independence and strong will, whereas years ago, she would've been considered a bitch. She's not letting the men, who historically had the upper hand when it came to aggression and assertiveness because it was a trait of their masculinity, tell her what to do or make her conform to doing things they way they want them to be done.

Ah, the wonders of Sociology classes.

PS: I'm not saying that women still aren't viewed as being "bitches," I'm just saying that it's to a much, much lesser degree than thirty or even twenty years ago.

And Eartha Kitt? Meow. Read my sig.