The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Blue Letter" - BN Brought To FM Or FM Had It First?

I know BN played the song in Alabama in 1975, but that doesn't settle the issue as to whether they had the song first and brought it to FM, or whether FM had it first and presented it to BN upon their entry into the band.

Does anyone know?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I know BN played the song in Alabama in 1975, but that doesn't settle the issue as to whether they had the song first and brought it to FM, or whether FM had it first and presented it to BN upon their entry into the band.

Does anyone know?
The Curtis Bros. were also recording at Sound City at the time. Richard Dashut was part of the production team.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM

B/N because I believe they were going to do another B/N album and this was intended for that 2nd album.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
B/N because I believe they were going to do another B/N album and this was intended for that 2nd album.
That was always my understanding.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
That was always my understanding.
I remember Lindsey saying that because the record did so badly that they were using someone else's studio time or the studio was letting them record for free but there was little support other than that for the 2nd album.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-09-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey worked with Curtis brothers and produced songs for them during BN days.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey worked with Curtis brothers and produced songs for them during BN days.
Would love to know more about this. I'm trying to compile a list of everything Lindsey produced or co-produced outside of his own music.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Would love to know more about this. I'm trying to compile a list of everything Lindsey produced or co-produced outside of his own music.
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-...9479/biography

Artist Biography by Jason Ankeny

Sibling country-rockers the Curtis Brothers -- singer/guitarist Rick, singer/bassist Michael, and guitarist Tom -- launched their career in 1965, teaming with sister Patti and friend Travis Rose to form the psych-folk band These Vizitors in the family's hometown of Goshen, IN. After earning a devoted local following and even appearing on WGN Chicago's wildly popular children's television program The Bozo Show, the group signed to Capitol, traveling to New York City in 1967 to record with producer Phil Ramone; the sessions yielded five tracks in all, with the most commercial -- "For Mary's Sake" and "Happy Man" -- appearing as a Capitol single in May of 1968. By that time These Vizitors were settled in West Palm Beach, FL, appearing on local bills in support of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Jefferson Airplane; when the single went nowhere, the group dissolved, although Rick and Michael continued pursuing a career in music. In 1972 the Curtises contributed original material and vocals to the Crazy Horse LP At Crooked Lake, which they parlayed into an option deal with Polydor; there they befriended the struggling duo of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, and together the foursome cut a pair of demos: "Blue Letter" and "Seven League Boots." While the former was later re-recorded on the self-titled 1975 Fleetwood Mac album that heralded Buckingham and Nicks' addition to the group, the latter was later retooled by Crosby, Stills & Nash, becoming their 1982 smash "Southern Cross." In the interim, Tom rejoined his siblings, and as the Curtis Brothers -- a unit also including drummer Thom Mooney -- they cut an eponymous 1976 LP for Polydor. The album received little notice, and two years later the group completed a follow-up for International Artists -- for reasons unknown, the label shelved the project, and the Curtis Brothers officially parted ways. Mike later toured with latter-day lineups of the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield, in addition serving for 12 years as a member of singer/songwriter Hoyt Axton's backing band. Rick died unexpectedly after suffering a seizure in January 1995.

read the description of this video.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THE Stephen Hopkins