User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
The Faces were great too, and Rod Stewart et. al. took the music somewhere else. I have a soft spot for british music in the sixties though. Steve Marriot was The British Soul Singer par excellence much the same way that the british blues players made their own version of the blues. But Small Faces are often looked upon as "pop" which is far from the truth.
(I am sorry I know this is The Pre-Rumours section)

Ms Moose
There's no question that Steve Marriot was quite a talent. I'd love to have a singer with his voice in my rock band (if I were to form one ). I always had a Stax records vibe to early Small Faces, so I agree they weren't pop in the strictest sense. However by Ogden's Nut Gone Flake they were certainly in rock territory. "Tin Soldier" could've easily been on the first Faces album. I think for the states the band was just too British. One of their best songs "Lazy Sunday" just wouldn't translate well over here. Personally, the Anglophile in me just eats up that stuff.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For US audiences, I think Steve Marriott would be better recognized (for HoF purposes) for his work with Humble Pie. (now there's a band that is HoF worthy!!!)
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anglophiles Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
There's no question that Steve Marriot was quite a talent. I'd love to have a singer with his voice in my rock band (if I were to form one ). I always had a Stax records vibe to early Small Faces, so I agree they weren't pop in the strictest sense. However by Ogden's Nut Gone Flake they were certainly in rock territory. "Tin Soldier" could've easily been on the first Faces album. I think for the states the band was just too British. One of their best songs "Lazy Sunday" just wouldn't translate well over here. Personally, the Anglophile in me just eats up that stuff.
Yes Small Faces were very british! 'Lazy Sunday' is very very very british . It is like a music-hall song, really. But Steve Marriotts background was in theatre as a child actor/singer in that tradition.

They did an early version of 'You need Loving' which Led Zeppelin ripped of years later ('Whole Lotta Love') - exactly the same. It was on You Tube a while back. I have tried to find it for you but unfortunately it has been erased

Ms Moose
Old 01-31-2009, 01:39 AM
slipkid
This message has been deleted by slipkid.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This from a recent blog in the Times Union by J. Eric Smith, 1-31-09

http://blogs.timesunion.com/jericsmith/?p=379

I picked up a copy of Fleetwood Mac’s Future Games, probably my favorite of their albums, and one which I’d never seen in digital format before. Danny Kirwan was a genius guitar player and songwriter who got lost in the historical mix between the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer and Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks eras. Future Games has what I consider to be his two finest songs: “Sands of Time” and “Woman of 1000 Years.” The album also marks Bob Welch’s debut with the band, and he purports himself well on the lovely and uplifting title track and the ripsnorting “Lay It All Down.” Christine McVie adds all the class that she normally does, especially on “Show Me A Smile,” which really should have been a bigger hit than (yuck) “Rhiannon.”

For the record: I will not go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame until they admit Welch as a member of Fleetwood Mac. It’s a travesty that they excluded him, since he’s the one who kept things going after Kirwan flamed out and before Buckingham-Nicks arrived. Stupid, unjust and arbitrary. I want no part of that.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

For the record: I will not go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame until they admit Welch as a member of Fleetwood Mac. It’s a travesty that they excluded him, since he’s the one who kept things going after Kirwan flamed out and before Buckingham-Nicks arrived. Stupid, unjust and arbitrary. I want no part of that.
A lot of bloggers say that & a lot of Ledgies say it, too. But "keeping the band together" isn't a criterion of admission, obviously. The music itself seems to be the criterion, & the voting board that year stated that the Green band & the Buckingham band were the only two groups who deserved on aesthetic grounds. (See Robert Hilburn's comments at the time.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A lot of bloggers say that & a lot of Ledgies say it, too. But "keeping the band together" isn't a criterion of admission, obviously. The music itself seems to be the criterion, & the voting board that year stated that the Green band & the Buckingham band were the only two groups who deserved on aesthetic grounds. (See Robert Hilburn's comments at the time.)
Robert Hillburn is no judge of artistic merit...he's a hack. A well-known hack. Just because he writes for the LA Times doesn't mean his opinion is worth more than a pile of beagle diarrhea. I hate him...hated reading every one of his pompous self-grandizing articles in the Calendar (or as I call it, the "Collander") section...the Times Sunday "fish wrap" section.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
... the Times Sunday "fish wrap" section.
Gosh, Chili, tell us what you really think.

Personally, since I enjoy the Welch era the most of any eras of the band, I think leaving Bob out was a mistake, but since induction into the R+R HOF seems basically random, I really don't care.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

http://blogs.timesunion.com/jericsmith/?p=379

I picked up a copy of Fleetwood Mac’s Future Games, probably my favorite of their albums, and one which I’d never seen in digital format before. Danny Kirwan was a genius guitar player and songwriter who got lost in the historical mix between the Peter Green/Jeremy Spencer and Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks eras. Future Games has what I consider to be his two finest songs: “Sands of Time” and “Woman of 1000 Years.” The album also marks Bob Welch’s debut with the band, and he purports himself well on the lovely and uplifting title track and the ripsnorting “Lay It All Down.” Christine McVie adds all the class that she normally does, especially on “Show Me A Smile,” which really should have been a bigger hit than (yuck) “Rhiannon.”

Hello All-- I'm loving all your responses. I've learned so much. Special agreement with the above "Future Games" blog. "Sands of Time", and "Woman of a Thousand Years" are my two favorite Kirwan songs. Beautiful blends of lyric and melody, they contribute to an important part of Mac history. Essential, imho. Best always, Madelow.