Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Would Peter do it?

I'm very facinated by the thought of Peter Green joining Fleetwood Mac onstage for their next tour, although I'm not sure that will happen. I guess my question would be, wold Peter be willing to do it, or would Lindsey be willing to share the stage with him. I certainly hope he would, since there would not have been a Fleetwood Mac to begin with if it werent for the Green god.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I'm very facinated by the thought of Peter Green joining Fleetwood Mac onstage for their next tour, although I'm not sure that will happen. I guess my question would be, wold Peter be willing to do it, or would Lindsey be willing to share the stage with him. I certainly hope he would, since there would not have been a Fleetwood Mac to begin with if it werent for the Green god.
I doubt that he would, though it would be fun. Lindsey would certainly be open to it, though. I think Green is really the only Mac guitarist that he would want to share the stage with. Lindsey's ALWAYS had glowing thing to say about Peter Green. I think it would be cool for Stevie to do the old "Rhiannon" dance during the solo of "Black Magic Woman." Make the song a conceptual piece.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I doubt that he would, though it would be fun. Lindsey would certainly be open to it, though. I think Green is really the only Mac guitarist that he would want to share the stage with. Lindsey's ALWAYS had glowing thing to say about Peter Green. I think it would be cool for Stevie to do the old "Rhiannon" dance during the solo of "Black Magic Woman." Make the song a conceptual piece.
I like that. Very fresh thinking.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gotta say, I don't care for this idea at all. I like Peter, I like Lindsey/Stevie, but I don't really have any desire to see them share the same stage. I think it would end up coming across as some kind of pity gesture, and most of the folks in the audience who came to see Lindsey/Stevie would have no idea who the guy was, nor care to hear any of his songs, and that would just be incredibly unfair to Peter.* I don't think Peter would come across very well with such a huge pop backing band, either. It would just be two completely contrary aesthetics working against each other.

*While I fully believe that Fleetwood Mac underestimates their audience in a big way and really ought to "challenge" them more by playing more relatively obscure material and mixing things up a bit, I do think bringing Peter out on stage would be pushing it a bit too far.

Last edited by Jyqm; 12-07-2005 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Gotta say, I don't care for this idea at all. I like Peter, I like Lindsey/Stevie, but I don't really have any desire to see them share the same stage. I think it would end up coming across as some kind of pity gesture, and most of the folks in the audience who came to see Lindsey/Stevie would have no idea who the guy was, nor care to hear any of his songs, and that would just be incredibly unfair to Peter.* I don't think Peter would come across very well with such a huge pop backing band, either. It would just be two completely contrary aesthetics working against each other.

*While I fully believe that Fleetwood Mac underestimates their audience in a big way and really ought to "challenge" them more by playing more relatively obscure material and mixing things up a bit, I do think bringing Peter out on stage would be pushing it a bit too far.
Well, I respect that opinion, but if they would do it, I would hope that it would be handled in a way that could make it possible. Maybe you're right though..
Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I respect that opinion, but if they would do it, I would hope that it would be handled in a way that could make it possible. Maybe you're right though..
I mean, I'm just taking a very realistic and somewhat cynical approach. If Fleetwood Mac existed in a vacuum, and you said, "Hey, wanna go to this Fleetwood Mac concert? Peter Green is going to be playing along with Lindsey, Stevie, John and Mick, and there's only enough tickets for the hardcore fans," I'd be there in a second.

Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen. The two realities that really turn me off to the idea are 1) the audience (I mean, if half the venue takes a piss break when Lindsey plays "Come," can you imagine what would happen if Pete shuffled on stage and the band went into "Albatross"?) and 2) the fact that Fleetwood Mac on tour is not just Fleetwood Mac (apologies to Brett and Taku and the rest, but I just don't see them meshing very well with Mr. Green).
Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, I'm just taking a very realistic and somewhat cynical approach. If Fleetwood Mac existed in a vacuum, and you said, "Hey, wanna go to this Fleetwood Mac concert? Peter Green is going to be playing along with Lindsey, Stevie, John and Mick, and there's only enough tickets for the hardcore fans," I'd be there in a second.

Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen. The two realities that really turn me off to the idea are 1) the audience (I mean, if half the venue takes a piss break when Lindsey plays "Come," can you imagine what would happen if Pete shuffled on stage and the band went into "Albatross"?) and 2) the fact that Fleetwood Mac on tour is not just Fleetwood Mac (apologies to Brett and Taku and the rest, but I just don't see them meshing very well with Mr. Green).
Ok, I HAVE to share this with you. On SYW, Albatross would play at the end of every show, and one night this guy came up to me and said WTF is that they're playing? It sounds like elevator music. I wanted to give this turkey a piece of my mind I tell ya....
Old 12-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say that this debate only applies to North America. I think "Oh Well" and "Black Magic Woman" would be the only songs the North American crowds would get into, and maybe "Manalishi" and "Rattlesnake," though I'm not as certain. I think the band worked for so many years to get out of Green's shadow and succeeded that it wouldn't work too well.

Now, Europe is another story. I think it would be absolutely huge there.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think Peter would come across very well with such a huge pop backing band, either. It would just be two completely contrary aesthetics working against each other.
Absolutely right. All that hardware & all those meddling backeruppers would bury anybody guesting. Heck, they bury the guys already in the band. The whole Fleetwood Mac show is a circus these days. What does that have to do with Peter Green? And why would Peter's fans want to hear him trying to play above three corny girl backup singers, four or five other guitarists, a percussionist & fifty different synthesizer modules, all going at full throttle?

You might as well put Christine onstage with Rage Against the Machine.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Now THAT, I'd pay to see. They SYW Orchestra? No thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely right. All that hardware & all those meddling backeruppers would bury anybody guesting. Heck, they bury the guys already in the band. The whole Fleetwood Mac show is a circus these days. What does that have to do with Peter Green? And why would Peter's fans want to hear him trying to play above three corny girl backup singers, four or five other guitarists, a percussionist & fifty different synthesizer modules, all going at full throttle?

That is like the best thing I have read all day...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And why would Peter's fans want to hear him...
...play any venue that holds more than 3,000 people.

unless it was a daytime, outdoor gig in summer, on a football field at a college campus somewhere near the Pacific Ocean
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Now, Europe is another story. I think it would be absolutely huge there.
If they'd come to my place in Holland, no one could stop me from going to see them, in whichever line-up or songs they'd play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think if Mac could bring themselves to do some gigs with as few extra musicians as possible, and leave the dozens of hangers-on backstage, then bring out Peter for a few numbers, that would work well in Europe. In fact I think they'd be killed in the rush for tickets. I also think that might be the only way in which Peter could be convinced to do it.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I think if Mac could bring themselves to do some gigs with as few extra musicians as possible, and leave the dozens of hangers-on backstage, then bring out Peter for a few numbers, that would work well in Europe. In fact I think they'd be killed in the rush for tickets. I also think that might be the only way in which Peter could be convinced to do it.
Yeah you're probably right. I'm sort of an idealist, I'd like to see it here too, but I dont think that will happen. I'm one of those fans, that while I won't deny my preference for the post '75 version of Fleetwood Mac, I DO listen to and appriciate the older music as well. I know there's that dichotomy there with the fans pre and post '75, but to me, that's whats most fascinating about Fleetwood Mac as compared to other bands, how they've changed and evolved over the years and still stayed together. And there's pretty much one man that's been the glue that's held this band together through thick and thin, and that's Mick Fleetwood. I have the utmost admiration and respect for him, cause I dont care how much money he made or how much went up his nose or whatever, he lives for thei band, and for that I thank him.