User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Las Vegas 12-31-1995

https://youtu.be/o0F5ZSxXqPQ

I had never seen this before. Live footage of this incarnation has always been a bit hard to find and I think the only full show I saw was from France? This was New Year’s Eve 1995 and hard to believe in less than 18 months, The Dance would have already been recorded and about to enter our lives.

This band really isn’t too bad. Bekka’s vocals are really strong and while I’m not exactly a fan of Billy and Dave, they’re a pretty tight band here. The set is pretty diverse but of course is built around the typical standards. Interesting things: is this incarnation responsible for the “falling, falling, falllllllinnnnng” ending to Say You Love Me that so many here hate? I kinda dig this strange version of Gold Dust Woman - it’s just different enough that it doesn’t in any way feel like Bekka is simply covering Stevie. Nearly 15 minutes of World Turning. I suppose better than the 20 minute affairs they had done previously but who the hell has ever told Mick that anyone wants to see this crap? Blue Letter is a nice surprise and fits their voices perfectly. GYOW is impossible for anyone to do justice to IMO and this solo is a bit blah but it isn’t terrible. I wasn’t expecting Not Fade Away toward the end but maybe that was something this band covered and I just never paid attention.

Altogether this really was rather pleasant to watch. I will always prefer the band that reformed the next year and Dave Mason in Fleetwood Mac is forever weird to me, this was definitely a tight unit and Bekka’s vocal abilities are really incredible. It is however hard to reconcile this as Fleetwood Mac without Christine, Stevie, or Lindsey’s voices.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So this version of Fleetwood Mac did technically limp into 1996, then, as they were still performing after midnight. I can recall that Mick pulled the plug on the band shortly after "Time" was released although there was mention of there being a corporate gig they had to do. Oddly, the NYE concert isn't on setlist.com

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert...html?year=1995

I can't quite make up my mind about this odd period of Mac history. I like a fair bit of the quixotic "Time" album. However, Mick's assessment in his 2014 book was probably right - "we ended up with a band of talented people playing good music, but they should not have been touring as Fleetwood Mac...we should never have done any of it.....there were too many essential pieces of the machine missing this time."

A tour that included Christine would have been pretty interesting though, although it's completely understandable that she didn't want to do it. Bekka and Dave didn't get on according to Mick's book, and Christine and Dave were not supposed to be best pals either.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
So this version of Fleetwood Mac did technically limp into 1996, then, as they were still performing after midnight. I can recall that Mick pulled the plug on the band shortly after "Time" was released although there was mention of there being a corporate gig they had to do. Oddly, the NYE concert isn't on setlist.com

Bekka and Dave didn't get on according to Mick's book, and Christine and Dave were not supposed to be best pals either.
Dave MUST be a dick, if neither one of them could get along with him.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can't quite make up my mind about this odd period of Mac history. I like a fair bit of the quixotic "Time" album. However, Mick's assessment in his 2014 book was probably right - "we ended up with a band of talented people playing good music, but they should not have been touring as Fleetwood Mac...we should never have done any of it.....there were too many essential pieces of the machine missing this time."

A tour that included Christine would have been pretty interesting though, although it's completely understandable that she didn't want to do it. Bekka and Dave didn't get on according to Mick's book, and Christine and Dave were not supposed to be best pals either.
This was the first time I ever knew that this band did in fact limp into 1996 - even if only for a few minutes (assuming this was the last gig?). I do think there’s a legitimacy at this point that you really need at least one of the Rumours songwriters in any version of Fleetwood Mac probably as early as 1977. One of Chris, Lindsey, or Stevie really need to be there.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bekka and Dave didn't get on according to Mick's book, and Christine and Dave were not supposed to be best pals either.
Richard Dashut dropped out of the project because of Dave, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2022, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Richard Dashut dropped out of the project because of Dave, too.
Wow. You used to run a Dave Mason board, right?

Why is he such a dick?
Old 09-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
This was the first time I ever knew that this band did in fact limp into 1996 - even if only for a few minutes (assuming this was the last gig?). I do think there’s a legitimacy at this point that you really need at least one of the Rumours songwriters in any version of Fleetwood Mac probably as early as 1977. One of Chris, Lindsey, or Stevie really need to be there.
It's a real shame that Mick, John and Chris weren't on speaking terms with Bob Welch during this period. Some sort of regrouping involving him could have borne better fruit. I think he offered to replace Lindsey in 1987 but they didn't take him up on the offer.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Frisky group here. Bekka and Bill are so cute together. Did they boff for a time? Dave Mason only gets into any of this on WE JUST DISAGREE, FEELING ALRIGHT, and DEAR MR FANTASY. It’s obvious he has no interest in singing or playing any actual Fleetwood Mac songs. Steve Thoma is whacking the crap out of the ivories as if SAY YOU LOVE ME were BORN TO RUN. These guys were reformed and struggling and should have been acting hungry. Instead, they give you the impression they’re not particularly dedicated to their newish band and they trot out a few Mac songs (six or seven?) in their too-short 90-minute set. I mean, Stevie Nicks played longer than this on her Cocaine a Little tour as a huge star.

There is a whole lotta skill on the stage in the service of blandness. It’s a variety gig from a pickup band. The year after this, folks in the audience probably said to their loved ones: “Remember we saw that strange version of Fleetwood Mac on New Year’s last year?” “Kind of, yeah. Why?” “No reason.”

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Wow. You used to run a Dave Mason board, right?

Why is he such a dick?
It was kind of surreal. Die-hard fans who communicated with me said he could be polite, but was generally cold to be around if not an all around ass. Some said he was still using.

He didn’t go to Jim Krueger’s funeral in 1993. At the time, Dave lived in Chicago and Jim in Milwaukee, which is maybe a two hour drive.

John Courage gave me an earful on Dave. He was polite about Bekka and Billy, but had extremely negative things to say about Dave.

Anyway, the more I learned about Dave, the less interested I became in him.

He and Mick did an online chat a year or so ago and it was kind of uncomfortable. Dave was extremely fidgety. Mick said Dave was a perfectionist. I could easily see Christine not digging him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2022, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Frisky group here. Bekka and Bill are so cute together. Did they boff for a time? Dave Mason only gets into any of this on WE JUST DISAGREE, FEELING ALRIGHT, and DEAR MR FANTASY. It’s obvious he has no interest in singing or playing any actual Fleetwood Mac songs. Steve Thoma is whacking the crap out of the ivories as if SAY YOU LOVE ME were BORN TO RUN. These guys were reformed and struggling and should have been acting hungry. Instead, they give you the impression they’re not particularly dedicated to their newish band and they trot out a few Mac songs (six or seven?) in their too-short 90-minute set. I mean, Stevie Nicks played longer than this on her Cocaine a Little tour as a huge star.

There is a whole lotta skill on the stage in the service of blandness. It’s a variety gig from a pickup band. The year after this, folks in the audience probably said to their loved ones: “Remember we saw that strange version of Fleetwood Mac on New Year’s last year?” “Kind of, yeah. Why?” “No reason.”
Bekka and Billy were on again off again. I like that Billy ditched the western attire and mullet. Bekka looked great, too.

Billy knew this was going to be the last show. The body language, especially Dave’s, seems defeated, like they were just going through the motions. Still not a bad show, aside from Steve Thoma overplaying.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-01-2022, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Frisky group here. Bekka and Bill are so cute together. Did they boff for a time? ”
Billy certainly looks more handsome here than in other videos I've seen.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was kind of surreal. Die-hard fans who communicated with me said he could be polite, but was generally cold to be around if not an all around ass. Some said he was still using.

He didn’t go to Jim Krueger’s funeral in 1993. At the time, Dave lived in Chicago and Jim in Milwaukee, which is maybe a two hour drive.

John Courage gave me an earful on Dave. He was polite about Bekka and Billy, but had extremely negative things to say about Dave.

Anyway, the more I learned about Dave, the less interested I became in him.

He and Mick did an online chat a year or so ago and it was kind of uncomfortable. Dave was extremely fidgety. Mick said Dave was a perfectionist. I could easily see Christine not digging him.
Cocaine or heroin?

I loved the Colonel, but he's gone now. Care to share any deets?

Lindsey was the ultimate perfectionist, but Christine loves him... old Dave must put the D back in dick.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Cocaine or heroin?
Cocaine.

As for anything beyond that, there wasn’t much more to report. It was probably a twenty minute call or so. There was a webmaster spreading misinformation that Bekka, Billy, and Rick were going to be part of the backing band and that it was going to be a 30th Anniversary Tour. JC quickly dispelled that. He also said that the Time band was like a cover band and felt that they had all of these songwriters and should’ve been doing their own songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-02-2022, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Cocaine.

As for anything beyond that, there wasn’t much more to report. It was probably a twenty minute call or so. There was a webmaster spreading misinformation that Bekka, Billy, and Rick were going to be part of the backing band and that it was going to be a 30th Anniversary Tour. JC quickly dispelled that. He also said that the Time band was like a cover band and felt that they had all of these songwriters and should’ve been doing their own songs.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bekka should have been doing anything but Stevie's songs. She should have done deeper cuts like Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, Why, Just Crazy Love or Warm Ways. Sugar Daddy would have been a fantastic song for her to do.

I've never felt that Dave was a good fit for Fleetwood Mac. He always came across to me as someone who's a "straight-ahead" performer whereas most of the members of the band felt like they could branch out. Besides, if you can't get along with Bekka Bramlett, you must be a giant @$$hole.

Even if things worked out completely with this era of the group, success still would have been limited given the amount of change within the band. I like the Time album but the best thing that happened IMO was it gave Bekka her biggest platform. I wish more people would be able to get past whatever comparisons they thing about a blonde replacing another blonde (or two depending on your point of view.) She's such a fantastic and overlooked talent. She also seems to be an absolute sweetheart of a person who has never seemed to allow whatever negativity came from that period to affect her.