Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rib/Bone Injury

As I mentioned in another thread, I was recently hospitalized for a collapsed lung. I had to have a chest tube put in, and then I started hemorrhaging so I had to have additional emergency surgery (meaning, another foray through my ribs) and eight blood transfusions. I am doing fine and slowly getting back into life, however, the pain is unrelenting. The surgeon's nurse said it was normal for bone/rib pain to be slow healing and suggested a heating pad. That does help...until I turn the heating pad off.

Has anyone had a serious rib injury and if so, any home remedies for pain relief? I have weaned myself off pain medicine because the stuff I was on is so strong and I had to get back into school and my internship. I could really use some suggestions- I think I have another couple of weeks before the pain starts to go away.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dang girl! Sorry to hear about that. Hope your feeling better soon.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They say that the brain doesn't remember pain...

I say ... phewy!

As for how to relieve it --- after painful dental surgery, the dentist told me to take 800 mg of Motrin IB (4 tablets) and I was amazed. I had been taking percodan & percosett (sp) and puked for forever...but the Motrin IB actually allowed me to function with a clear head and not be so focused on the pain.

I wish I could tell you something more useful. Instead I will light a candle for you and send some healing thoughts, strength and words your way...(basically, another way of sayng prayers for you.)

Please keep us informed of your recovery...lots of us will be thinking about you.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanted to whish you well, and hope you will be feeling better soon! I love your posts, so you must get back to top form soon
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through! When I had chronic back pain I took Ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain. Take that if you're not already taking it. You can take more than recommended also, your doctor can tell you how much.

I've heard acupuncture is really helpful for pain relief as well. Or, you could try not breathing for a couple of days and see if that helps. Sorry, just a little dark humor there. Most of all just take it easy and ask your husband to do things and take care of you for now. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

good lord...i have nothing to add to this conversation other than to say get well soon and sorry to hear that you've been having to deal with all of this.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OUCH! That sucks, Jannie. The only thing I can think of is if the heat helps, you could try one of those heated patches. I've never tried one, not sure how well they work, but it's worth a shot. I think they have large ones.

http://http://www.drugstore.com/temp...ram=thermacare

The ibuprofen will help with pain & inflammation, but don't take more than 800mg & not more often than every 8 hours. If you have to cough or sneeze or laugh or anything like that, splint the area with a pillow or something similar (did they show you that in the hospital?) Not that you can carry a pillow around with you at all times, but you could roll up a scarf or your coat or something.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I was recently hospitalized for a collapsed lung. I had to have a chest tube put in, and then I started hemorrhaging so I had to have additional emergency surgery (meaning, another foray through my ribs) and eight blood transfusions. I am doing fine and slowly getting back into life, however, the pain is unrelenting. The surgeon's nurse said it was normal for bone/rib pain to be slow healing and suggested a heating pad. That does help...until I turn the heating pad off.

Has anyone had a serious rib injury and if so, any home remedies for pain relief? I have weaned myself off pain medicine because the stuff I was on is so strong and I had to get back into school and my internship. I could really use some suggestions- I think I have another couple of weeks before the pain starts to go away.
my lung collapsed when i was young. i've got a nice round scar near one of my ribs where they shoved a tube thru the rib cage! I hate to say it, but some nice bourbon clears up the pain quite well.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Not that you can carry a pillow around with you at all times, but you could roll up a scarf or your coat or something.
I was just about to say this.

hope you feel better soon Jannie!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I was just about to say this.

hope you feel better soon Jannie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie View Post
good lord...i have nothing to add to this conversation other than to say get well soon and sorry to hear that you've been having to deal with all of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I wanted to whish you well, and hope you will be feeling better soon! I love your posts, so you must get back to top form soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1769 View Post
Dang girl! Sorry to hear about that. Hope your feeling better soon.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you. I need all of the good thoughts and encouragement I can get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
They say that the brain doesn't remember pain...

I say ... phewy!

As for how to relieve it --- after painful dental surgery, the dentist told me to take 800 mg of Motrin IB (4 tablets) and I was amazed. I had been taking percodan & percosett (sp) and puked for forever...but the Motrin IB actually allowed me to function with a clear head and not be so focused on the pain.

I wish I could tell you something more useful. Instead I will light a candle for you and send some healing thoughts, strength and words your way...(basically, another way of sayng prayers for you.)

Please keep us informed of your recovery...lots of us will be thinking about you.
I should have mentioned that while I stopped taking the narcotic meds, I have been taking Motrin (Advil) around the clock. Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through! When I had chronic back pain I took Ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain. Take that if you're not already taking it. You can take more than recommended also, your doctor can tell you how much.

I've heard acupuncture is really helpful for pain relief as well. Or, you could try not breathing for a couple of days and see if that helps. Sorry, just a little dark humor there. Most of all just take it easy and ask your husband to do things and take care of you for now. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Interestingly, it's not that kind of pain (thank GOD). I can even sneeze without severe pain. It's more of an aching constant pain, more than anything else. My husband has been incredible throughout this- couldn't have made it without him.

Quote:
OUCH! That sucks, Jannie. The only thing I can think of is if the heat helps, you could try one of those heated patches. I've never tried one, not sure how well they work, but it's worth a shot. I think they have large ones.

http://http://www.drugstore.com/temp...ram=thermacare
That is a *great* idea- I hadn't even thought of that. I could slap one of them on and go to class. I was busy trying to figure out how I could bring my heating pad to school- LOL. Or even better, when I'm doing therapy with someone, "would you mind if I plugged my heating pad in?" Heh.

Quote:
If you have to cough or sneeze or laugh or anything like that, splint the area with a pillow or something similar (did they show you that in the hospital?) Not that you can carry a pillow around with you at all times, but you could roll up a scarf or your coat or something.
For whatever reason, as I said, it's not that kind of pain. I am so grateful for that! They had to make extra incisions (one underneath where the chest tube went in- it's huge and scary looking- and one in my back). I think this is where a lot of the ache is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
my lung collapsed when i was young. i've got a nice round scar near one of my ribs where they shoved a tube thru the rib cage! I hate to say it, but some nice bourbon clears up the pain quite well.
I'm going to the beach for a week-end with one of my girlfriends next week-end. I have already given this remedy some thought!!!

I hope I've answered everyone who took the time to respond. I think I *may* notice a slight improvement this morning. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

hi jannie i am sorry to hear your news but i hope that you are feeling better soon.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to hear you're feeling a tiny bit better Jannie! Let me know if those Thermacare things work. I'm sure they're no where near as effective as an actual heating pad, but maybe they'll help some.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have you tried 5% Lidoderm patches? A lot of patients in the pain clinic have reported really good results using them for a variety of pain conditions. Of course you also have some patients for whom they don't seem to do anything. You can cut them to whatever size you need then apply it to the affected area and leave it on for 12 hours, then take it off for 12 hours before applying another one. You have to get a prescription for them, though, and they're pretty expensive. If you've got insurance it'll likely be your highest co-pay.

Just something else to toss out there. Hope you get some relief soon!

Brad
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Have you tried 5% Lidoderm patches? A lot of patients in the pain clinic have reported really good results using them for a variety of pain conditions. Of course you also have some patients for whom they don't seem to do anything. You can cut them to whatever size you need then apply it to the affected area and leave it on for 12 hours, then take it off for 12 hours before applying another one. You have to get a prescription for them, though, and they're pretty expensive. If you've got insurance it'll likely be your highest co-pay.

Just something else to toss out there. Hope you get some relief soon!

Brad
Oh Brad, I was hoping you'd chime in. I will call my doctor about it tomorrow morning. I have met my deductible (the $39k hospital bill took care of that!) so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to hear about this, do hope you are feeling better and get back to 'rockin a little' real soon. Ditto to anyone who suggested ibuprofin instead of narcs, if you can. Just make sure you take it with food, else you can wind up with other problems. My favorite recipe is to alternate aceteminophin with ibuprofin, as they attack different pain receptors. Course, I'm not a doctor, nurse or pharmacist (I just fix their computer systems!)