User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl View Post
Yep, thats about right, 7 hours to Auckland though is being generous and probably without stops! I can say however, from tip to tip (Cape Rianga-Bluff) it's about a 24 hr stint ( somehow, I'm not sure this is the Q ur asking, but I thought I'd just chuck that in anyway )
Oh yes, this is the question I was asking. Both you and Brandon were kind enough to notice.
You know just looking at NZ on a map makes it appear very small but when you compare it to Australia you realize the distance from north to south, when the experts tell us that Aus. is larger than the USA.
So one more question. How long a drive from east to west(coast to coast)?

Photobucket
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
How long a drive from east to west(coast to coast)?
Australia east to west or NZ east to west? Oz I have no idea... NZ... depends on which island you're on
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Australia east to west or NZ east to west? Oz I have no idea... NZ... depends on which island you're on
Gawd knows the answer to either of those Q's.just another random fact, not worth worrying about..NZ is the same distance from top to bottom as the UK (about 1000 miles long) but has less people of course (4.5 m-66m).Yeah, side to side I don't know...Brandon, get those maps out On the whole of course Australia is GINORMOUS ( is that how u spell it?) either way. what you doing Viv, some sort of road trip?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=tuigirl;843233]Gawd knows the answer to either of those Q's.just another random fact, not worth worrying about..NZ is the same distance from top to bottom as the UK (about 1000 miles long) but has less people of course (4.5 m-66m).Yeah, side to side I don't know...Brandon, get those maps out On the whole of course Australia is GINORMOUS ( is that how u spell it?) either way. what you doing Viv, some sort of road trip?[/QUOTE]

That was funny.
Yeah I'm asking about the distance from west to east of NZ? I already know for Aus it would take me about a week to drive from west to east.
I'm curious because I'm trying to imagine if I lived there, would it be worth my time to travel to see FM in concert. This city, New Plymouth sounds like it's a major inconvience to get to from the large cities of Aukland and Wellington, no?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That was funny.
Yeah I'm asking about the distance from west to east of NZ? I already know for Aus it would take me about a week to drive from west to east.
I'm curious because I'm trying to imagine if I lived there, would it be worth my time to travel to see FM in concert. This city, New Plymouth sounds like it's a major inconvience to get to from the large cities of Aukland and Wellington, no?
Well i live in Wellington and I dont even wanna go to New Plymouth. I think they have an airport... so you could fly which would probably less than an hour flight.

Distrance from east to west in NZ depends on the island you're on and what part of the island
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Well i live in Wellington and I dont even wanna go to New Plymouth. I think they have an airport... so you could fly which would probably less than an hour flight.

Distrance from east to west in NZ depends on the island you're on and what part of the island
I lived in New Plymouth for a year and it's a great place!! It's probably more accessable form Wellington, becoz it's only 4 hours drive away. But , yes, they do have an airport and it's perfectly fine, not some dustcropper kinda place!!haha. you want remote?? Greymouth on the West coast, now thats the pits.....So East to west, ain't a great idea.but the word is, your'e never more than 45 mins away from the coast , no matter where you live.I don't know if thats physically tru, but thats what they say. Maybe hiring a boat is the answer...hahaaha

Last edited by tuigirl; 09-21-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No room at inn for Fleetwood fans

9-28-09

The accommodation crush is being felt all over Taranaki as momentum grows for the Fleetwood Mac concerts in New Plymouth.

Home-billets are being organised as hotels and motels put up full-house signs for the December 19 and 20 gigs at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands.

The Taranaki Daily News has heard anecdotal evidence of people vacating their homes to stay with friends while letting their houses for more than $300 a night.

And the prices are being willingly paid by well-heeled baby boomers who aren't keen on roughing it in the campsite at Pukekura Raceway, where room for 3000 campers has been made available through the council's i-Site Visitor Information Centre.

The Bowl gigs are Fleetwood Mac's final of a world tour and the only New Zealand appearances. The Saturday show on December 19 is a sell-out and the few remaining tickets for the Sunday show are selling fast, New Plymouth District Council events manager Garry Sharpe-Young said yesterday.

These attending the Sunday show are sure to be in for a party atmosphere from the band.

"It's their very final show on the world tour, so they are sure to be letting their hair down and partying after the Sunday concert," he said.

For Wellington fans, a train will travel through to New Plymouth and return to the capital after the Saturday concert. The same is on offer for Cliff Richard and the Shadows on February 27.

Meanwhile, the online scalpers are alive and well. Trade Me last night had 26 sets of tickets advertised for sale, offered by people from all over the country, with tickets up for grabs in all three price ranges.

General admission is $120, silver $250 and A-reserve sells at $320 through Ticketmaster.

The most expensive tickets on Trade Me to date appear to be a $1095 deal for two A-reserve gold tickets including return train travel to and from Wellington.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...Fleetwood-fans
Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
"It's their very final show on the world tour, so they are sure to be letting their hair down and partying after the Sunday concert," he said.
Or... they'll be back on the plane to Auckland in about 7 nanoseconds.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HOSTELS OPTION FOR FLEETWOOD FANS by Jared Smith 10-2-09

Taranaki Daily News
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...Fleetwood-fans

New Plymouth student hostels are opening their doors for desperate Fleetwood Mac concert-goers who want a bed for the night instead of camping under the stars.

Tickets for the December 19 show at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands were gone within 10 minutes of going on sale last month, with tickets for the announced second concert selling rapidly. Accommodation bookings in town quickly followed suit, with visitors now being directed to Stratford, Hawera, or the Pukekura Raceway, which has been opened up to campers.

Miranda Williams, manager of New Plymouth Girls' High School's Scotlands Hostel said that with their students on holiday in December, the hostel would let out their cubicle rooms at $250 for a five-person room, or $300 for six.

Guests could then decide to have the room to themselves, or fill all the single beds with their friends at $50 a head. "It's great because we're in walking distance of Brooklands," said Mrs Williams. "We just heard people were being turned away, and here we are with all these beds."

The hostel often rents its rooms in holiday periods for conferences, but had nothing scheduled that weekend.

Mrs Williams said guests would provide their own bedding and towels, and could get a hostel breakfast for $10 extra.

As of yesterday, Scotlands Hostel had let out four rooms for the Saturday and two for the Sunday – they can house up to 140 guests.

As many of the Fleetwood Mac fans were likely to be "older clients," Mrs Williams said they would probably prefer a bed and hot water to a camp site.

Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki has followed suit, opening up both its accommodation blocks. On-site manager Clare Penberthy said the student accommodation block was being let in a "backpacker arrangement" of $40 a night per person, with guests providing their own linen and cutlery.

They have taken a couple of bookings already for it.

The A Block accommodation has a self contained studio set up and guests could stay there at $100 a night. "People don't realise we don't do just students now," Mrs Penberthy said.

A Block is a motel-type set-up with bedding and linen, often used by shift workers staying in New Plymouth.

Staff at Francis Douglas Memorial College told the Taranaki Daily News they were also considering opening up the La Salle House, which houses 130 students. New Plymouth District Council general manager of customer services Cathy Thurston, said approximately 150 bookings had been taken so far for the camping ground.

Belt Road Seaside Motor Camp is handling the bookings on council's behalf, with most of the reservations so far being for the Saturday. "A number of people have expressed interest. As it gets closer it will keep building up," Mrs Thurston said.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you know your Taranaki 7 Wonders, you could win tickets to Fleetwoood Mac live at the TSB Bowl of Brooklands!

Each day we will post a different picture here of a Taranaki "Wonder". The trick is, it will only be a little piece of the wonder. Your job is to figure out what the picture is of. The picture will be up for 24 hours - the next day at 8.20, caller number 9 with the correct "wonder" will win a double pass to see the legendary Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.gimme.co.nz/competition/w...-tsb-bowl-5203
Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Vodafone Music Store NZ-

Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks is a fashion icon.
To win 2 Gold tickets to the concerts as TSB Arena, vote for what you rate as Stevie's most defining fashion feature.

Those velvet skirts - A mystical look you can make your own; Her platform boots - Nicks has worn suede platform boots in various colours, usually black, cream, tan or maroon in almost all of her performances since 1975; Her blonde tresses - Surely never bigger than in the 80's and Her amazing hats.

http://vmusic.vodafone.co.nz/

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Taranaki Daily News, by Felicity Ross, 10-15-09
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-from-concerts

$7.5 Million Windfall From Concerts

December's two Fleetwood Mac concerts will bring a $7.5 million bonanza to the Taranaki economy.

The figure comes from a recently-published forecast from Venture Taranaki, which says more than 36,000 fans are expected pass through the gates of the TSB Bowl of Brooklands within a 24-hour period – with more than 25,000 of them from out of the region.

Among those fans will be diehards flying in from the United States and Britain, intent on attending what is likely to be Fleetwood Mac's final concerts ever.

The New Plymouth District Council and VT are forecasting that these visitors will contribute the $7.5 million to the local economy.

This means each visitor will spend roughly $300 each during his or her time here.

The same forecast looks at the value of three rugby World Cup games in New Plymouth in 2011 and estimates those games will bring $5.2 million in visitor money to the economy.

The council's manager of business events Garry Sharpe-Young says the sheer magnitude of the concerts and their guests have prompted several local agencies to form a steering committee to manage the large amount of out-of-towners to the region.

Agencies include the council, VT, Taranaki Chamber of Commerce and the police.

"We have discovered many of the people coming in have never been to New Plymouth before and we want to encourage them to see more of it than just go to the concert and leave," Mr Sharpe-Young said.

"We are also encouraging businesses to stay open during that weekend because the economic impact is just huge. It will be $7.5m plus."

At the REM concert at the Bowl in 2005 Easter licensing laws ruined the party for thousands of fans who hit downtown New Plymouth after the band's concert. Strict liquor licensing laws forced bars to close early, with many bar owners feeling they missed out on the fun.

But this time around, with more than twice the crowd likely to hit the town after Fleetwood Mac, local business owners are being encouraged to stay open to cater to the masses.

About 100 people are coming from the US and the United Kingdom, many of them have been following the international group's world tour, which is said to be its last.

"It's a huge opportunity for us to alter people's perception of New Plymouth in a positive way," Mr Sharpe-Young said.

"You could definitively say this is the biggest concert to hit New Plymouth in the last 40 years."

Tickets for Fleetwood Mac's concert on December 19 sold out within minutes when they went on sale last month.

The second concert for December 20 is almost sold out, with only general admission tickets available.

In order to cope with the region's extra guests, volunteer co-ordinator for the steering committee, Moira Irving, says organisers need about 200 volunteers to help with various tasks around the city.

"We want volunteers on the walkway and greeting people at the airport, we want them at the park, we just want people to feel sort of overwhelmed at the amazing weekend," Ms Irving said.

"We will have people handing out information and showing them what restaurants will be open, places they might want to go and visit through and make sure it's a whole Taranaki visit, it's not rushing into the concert and then shooting through."

Anyone wanting to become a volunteer should contact Ms Irving at the New Plymouth District Council.

But the region better get used to being overrun by out-of-towners as Mr Sharpe-Young says he intends to bring in a major international act every year.

"There are a few possibilities for early 2010 and more for 2011 and 2012.

"We want to bring in another contemporary act like we did with Jack Johnson."

WHERE THE FANS ARE FROM

Auckland: 7000

Wellington: 8000

Waikato: 2500

Manawatu: 2000

Bay of Plenty: 2000

South Island: 2000

West Coast: 32

Taranaki: 10,000

American and UK: 100
Old 10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Taranaki Daily News, by Felicity Ross, 10-15-09
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-from-concerts

Among those fans will be diehards flying in from the United States and Britain, intent on attending what is likely to be Fleetwood Mac's final concerts ever.
Andrew MacManus will say anything to the press to sell tickets. Greedy fearmongering f***!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Andrew MacManus will say anything to the press to sell tickets. Greedy fearmongering f***!
Were you thinking about going to these 2 shows?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Were you thinking about going to these 2 shows?
Oh heavens no. I'm not going to fly halfway around the world and then sleep in a muddy infield. Are you?