Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Ledgie

Default 25 Years The Chain Box Set...

I was wondering... what are the new tracks on this box set and how are they?

I can't believe I don't have these songs!!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hon, I started a thread about this around April, Mayish.

There aren't really any 'new' tracks, just unreleased versions. I love the new Tusk on it. But save that the unreleased versions aren't that much better IMO.

ACTUALLY-there are a few 'new' tracks. Paper Doll is good, Make Me a Mask is basically a throwaway OOTC track, that is so Lindsey its not even funny. Heart of Stone is good, and The other Chris song...ugh forgot the title, is ok.

But I think that unless you are a new fan and don't have much of the albums or are an extreme hardcore fan, then don't waste your money. [Or get it on eBay for like 10 bucks. thats what I did. ]
Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
Hon, I started a thread about this around April, Mayish.

There aren't really any 'new' tracks, just unreleased versions. I love the new Tusk on it. But save that the unreleased versions aren't that much better IMO.

ACTUALLY-there are a few 'new' tracks. Paper Doll is good, Make Me a Mask is basically a throwaway OOTC track, that is so Lindsey its not even funny. Heart of Stone is good, and The other Chris song...ugh forgot the title, is ok.

But I think that unless you are a new fan and don't have much of the albums or are an extreme hardcore fan, then don't waste your money. [Or get it on eBay for like 10 bucks. thats what I did. ]
I will check eBay as I would like to hear these tracks.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You've got to get this set. The fourth disc is a great introduction to the pre-buckingham/nicks Mac. Plus it's got a great booklet with some cool pictures.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
You've got to get this set. The fourth disc is a great introduction to the pre-buckingham/nicks Mac. Plus it's got a great booklet with some cool pictures.
I agree. Some found it to be a sonic nightmare. But, it sounded okay to me. And, it has different versions of songs, e.g. Isn't it Midnight.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The other Christine track is called "Love Shines" ... I love both that, Heart of Stone (one of myfave CM tracks, actually) and Paper doll...Also worth it for Goodbye Angel (LB track) and the unedited version of Gypsy, which, IMHO is awesome...most of the alt versions available on here (which there are a lot of!) are really cool...and, as was already mentioned, the booklet is vv cool...
Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

IMO, the biggest treasure in the set is a previously unreleased Danny Kirwan song called Trinity. It's perhaps my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac song these days, and really is reason enough to buy the set.

In terms of the other new/previously unreleased stuff, I think Christine's new songs are amazing. I also really liked Lindsey's Goodbye Angel (which should have been on Mirage over a few songs that actually made that record) and, to a lesser extent, Teen Beat. The alternate version of Bob Welch's Lay It All Down is pretty killer, too. But the rest, eh.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
IMO, the biggest treasure in the set is a previously unreleased Danny Kirwan song called Trinity. It's perhaps my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac song these days, and really is reason enough to buy the set.

In terms of the other new/previously unreleased stuff, I think Christine's new songs are amazing. I also really liked Lindsey's Goodbye Angel (which should have been on Mirage over a few songs that actually made that record) and, to a lesser extent, Teen Beat. The alternate version of Bob Welch's Lay It All Down is pretty killer, too. But the rest, eh.
I agree with everything here...

Trinity and Lay it All down Love Shines and Heart of Stone are worth the box... (amazing tunes) Make Me a Mask is great as well... I can't stand Paper Doll.... it's worse than Silver Girl.... awful!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I can't stand Paper Doll.... it's worse than Silver Girl.... awful!!!!
I don't necessarily agree with that. I didn't like "Paper Doll" at first, either, but right out of the gate I thought it was light years better than "No Questions Asked" (from the GH set) and it has grown on me over the years, so now I don't mind it at all...and I really hated "Silver Girl" for a long time, too, until I heard it on a jukebox in a bar between my band's sets...it sounded decent in that setting to where I find it quite listenable now. The song of Stevie's that went from "cool" to "gag me with a spoon" was "Running Through The Garden". I just threw up a little in my throat just mentioning it.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Paper Doll. Maybe if it had come out at a different time, I wouldn't have. But coming as it did when I was feeling so nostalgic, paired with that video, showcasing such fine FM moments, I was taken with that song and still am.

Hate Silver Girl. Hate RTTG even more. Hate Sweet Girl.

Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else.

Michele
Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HOLY CRAP!!!
I can't BELEIVE I forgot about 'Goodbye Angel'!!!

Yeah, its worth the money just for that song!!
[Its on my Mirage mix, so I assume it's from the album. sorry ]

I still suggest eBay is the best place to get it.

I can't believe I did that!!

I love RTTG
Silver Gril, now thats a puker.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I love Paper Doll. Maybe if it had come out at a different time, I wouldn't have. But coming as it did when I was feeling so nostalgic, paired with that video, showcasing such fine FM moments, I was taken with that song and still am.

Hate Silver Girl. Hate RTTG even more. Hate Sweet Girl.

Yesterday I was fascinated by somebody else.

Michele

Get out.

am I the only person here that totally LOVES RTTG, Paper Doll, Sweet Girl, No Question Asked and really likes Silver Girl?? Surely, I cannot be alone
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Paper Doll is a great song - very much like Freedom or Affairs of the Heart which I love...

The best song on the box set IMO is Heart of Stone - one of the Christine tracks I actually can listen to without feeling like I am being tortured... ;-) String-a-long and Trinity are good also.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

Get out.

am I the only person here that totally LOVES RTTG, Paper Doll, Sweet Girl, No Question Asked and really likes Silver Girl?? Surely, I cannot be alone

You're not! (mostly) I love RTTG (I didn't at first...I thought it sounded too "80s" but I've grown to love it) Paper Doll, Sweet Girl (and I can't imagine any fan of Stevie's not loving that one!) & NQA...Silver Girl? Not so much...it's ok, but I don't think I'm ever gonna love it...
Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RTTG is one of my alltime favorite STevie songs!!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.