The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Junior Ledgie

Another Tweet about these rehearsals going on....I think its for a private show?

"hoping to jump across the street to see #fleetwoodmac play for about 80 people in a while... was lucky enough to see rehearsal yesterday!"
(via @miles_siggins)

http://twitter.com/VickyLC
http://vickylc.tumblr.com/
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Junior Ledgie

OK another tweet posted 5 mins ago by @garykordan.....

"Right this second I am 1 of 80 people watching a private dress rehearsal by Fleetwood Mac on a massive soundstage. Unreal goosebumps."

http://twitter.com/VickyLC
http://vickylc.tumblr.com/
Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Well, first of all, define "potential" in this particular context. SYW scanned about 750k in the US, and Warners was quite content with that. Stevie's just annoyed because the ridiculous financial excess of the album's production negated the possibility of any net proceeds. When your album is #1 for 33 weeks, you can afford to putz around in Sausalito/LA for a year contemplating navels and crystal visions, but if you're FM in the 2000's (and beyond) and you *NEED* all the accouterments that only the biggest acts in the world can financially justify just to record an album, you're screwed.

Secondly, are you actually comparing Fleetwood Mac to Eagles/Sade? Really? That's all kinds of crazy for reasons way too many to list.
Well I haven't talked to WB like you have, but thank you for letting me know that they are content--so content in fact that they haven't even asked for a follow up from the band. I did not conjecture to their contentment one way or another. Everything else you wrote helped make my point: there won't be another Mac album.

p.s. - they played exactly 0 tracks from this album on their latest Hits! tour.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-17-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
so content in fact that they haven't even asked for a follow up from the band.
It sold a decent amount & was supported by a successful tour- in other words, all a label could want from one of their legacy acts... which is more than can be said about, say, Sony's ELO disaster in '01.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kena View Post
I hope if they make another album that they actually make it together though, not just Lindsey having all his music ready and Stevie preparing most of hers separate. It would be great if at least on a few songs they started from scratch or close to it.
It sounds like they are addressing that issue by entertaining the idea of having an outside producer -- in effect, balancing out Lindsey's over-reaching, solitary influence.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It wasn't a bad seller given the fact that there wasn't a hit song or video and only the tour to rely on for promoting it. It sold a healthy amount in 2003, but hasn't really been selling much each year since with the last known number sold being 853k up to August, 2006. It's likely close to platinum if not just above it by now, just not recognized yet.

Some chart peak positions for "Say You Will" in all the countries I could find with numbers of weeks on that countries chart.

#03 - US - 23 weeks on chart (Certified Gold 500,000 units)
#06 - UK - 8 weeks on chart (Certified Gold 100,000 units)
#07 - New Zeland - 8 weeks on chart
#08 - Canada - 13 weeks on chart (Certified Gold 50,000 units)
#08 - Sweden - 5 weeks on
#10 - Germany - 12 weeks on chart
#23 - Norway - 2 weeks on chart
#24 - Australia - 5 weeks on chart
#28 - Netherlands - 8 weeks on chart
#38 - Belgium - 2 weeks on chart
#40 - Denmark - 1 week on chart
#51 - Switzerland - 5 weeks on chart
#108 - Japan - 4 weeks on chart
#113 - France - 2 weeks on chart

US: Released April 15th, first week sales 217,000 units. 538,177 albums sold in the first 8 weeks. Certified gold 7/21/03. 733,000 albums sold by week 21, Sept 20th.

US: #83 TOP ALBUMS OF 2003 with total 2003 sales at 799,852

US: Sales as of 8.25.06 - 853,000
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Registered

Does anyone know with some retail stores selling used cds now; if when the cd is scanned at the register, it is counted as a sale at Soundscan later to be used in updating of RIAA certifications, when it's actually being resold? I bought some used cds the other day, and the titles and sku #s all showed up on the receipt.
Though the repackaged and resold cheaper cd may have a different stock number glued on the repackaging than the new previously unsold cd of the same title, I think it's possible it may be counted as another sale for the same cd that had been sold, returned, and resold. Otherwise, why have the title and # on the cd and receipts?
I've seen both SYW and TISL for as low as 2.99 at the FYE chain.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-18-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
Does anyone know with some retail stores selling used cds now; if when the cd is scanned at the register, it is counted as a sale at Soundscan later to be used in updating of RIAA certifications, when it's actually being resold? I bought some used cds the other day, and the titles and sku #s all showed up on the receipt.
Though the repackaged and resold cheaper cd may have a different stock number glued on the repackaging than the new previously unsold cd of the same title, I think it's possible it may be counted as another sale for the same cd that had been sold, returned, and resold. Otherwise, why have the title and # on the cd and receipts?
I've seen both SYW and TISL for as low as 2.99 at the FYE chain.
From what I can gather... a chain like FYE or Best Buy orders "X" amount of copies and those count then as a sale. Whether those CDs languish in the warehouses of said chain, I believe they still count as "made sales" already. Because if you sell a few copies of Rumours, Best Buy will just restock them from their massive inventory... they don't place a brand new order for them. At least I *think* that's how they do it. That's how we did it when I worked at FYE in 2001.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
From what I can gather... a chain like FYE or Best Buy orders "X" amount of copies and those count then as a sale. Whether those CDs languish in the warehouses of said chain, I believe they still count as "made sales" already. Because if you sell a few copies of Rumours, Best Buy will just restock them from their massive inventory... they don't place a brand new order for them. At least I *think* that's how they do it. That's how we did it when I worked at FYE in 2001.
Chartwise sales, such a Billboard, are based on cash register sales whereas RIAA sales are calculated based on wholesale shipments.

Since May 26, 1991, the Billboard 200's positions have been derived from Nielsen SoundScan sales data, as of 2008 contributed by approximately 14,000 music sellers. Because these numbers are supplied by a subset of sellers rather than record labels, it is common for these numbers to be substantially lower than those reported by the Recording Industry Association of America when Gold, Platinum and Diamond album awards are announced (RIAA awards reflect wholesale shipments, not retail sales)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Registered

^ and ^^
Yes, and thank you for the two replies. But I guess I didn't make it clear what I asked- I tried- but I can be lacking-- I meant the repackaged USED cds that these stores frequently have at a fraction of the price- that people have returned, the store has restocked the used copy and sells it. So, if there's a new unopened 'Say You Will' for $14.98 and a used, re-shrink-wrapped 'Say You Will for $3.99 at the same store and the used, cheaper one is the copy the customer chooses, with the 'Say You Will' title and part of barcode on your receipt, then my Q was does it count as another sale for the 'Say You Will' cd through Soundscan even though it's a resale of a returned or traded-in copy, and still makes the band one copy closer to 1 million copies sold, or not? My guess is it counts.
I know there's a difference between shipping and selling platinum, but never have been informed about how exactly the used cd selling affects royalties and certifications. Maybe I should email Soundscan or Fred Bronson of Billboard.
If he's still there!

Last edited by Nikolaj; 10-18-2010 at 03:20 AM..
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was just thinking this must be for a one off show. If they were doing a big tour they would have rehearsed for 2 or 3 months, not 2 weeks.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
^ and ^^
Yes, and thank you for the two replies. But I guess I didn't make it clear what I asked- I tried- but I can be lacking-- I meant the repackaged USED cds that these stores frequently have at a fraction of the price- that people have returned, the store has restocked the used copy and sells it. So, if there's a new unopened 'Say You Will' for $14.98 and a used, re-shrink-wrapped 'Say You Will for $3.99 at the same store and the used, cheaper one is the copy the customer chooses, with the 'Say You Will' title and part of barcode on your receipt, then my Q was does it count as another sale for the 'Say You Will' cd through Soundscan even though it's a resale of a returned or traded-in copy, and still makes the band one copy closer to 1 million copies sold, or not? My guess is it counts.
I know there's a difference between shipping and selling platinum, but never have been informed about how exactly the used cd selling affects royalties and certifications. Maybe I should email Soundscan or Fred Bronson of Billboard.
If he's still there!
Yeah I was just reinforcing the fact that registers scans do count, but whether or not used sales count, I haven't a clue!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I was just thinking this must be for a one off show. If they were doing a big tour they would have rehearsed for 2 or 3 months, not 2 weeks.
Well it's not like the setlist would be changing.

But I agree.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This doesn't sound too encouraging...from Bill Dobbins on Facebook ( and twitter ):

ALL ACCESS - To the Fleetwood Mac run through at the old MGM studios last night. The band prepping for a multi-million dollar private party.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
This doesn't sound too encouraging...from Bill Dobbins on Facebook ( and twitter ):

ALL ACCESS - To the Fleetwood Mac run through at the old MGM studios last night. The band prepping for a multi-million dollar private party.
I wonder how much of the multi million goes to them?