Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 3

The Dance
Old 08-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Dance

I thought Stevie's girls were out of place. Then, again, somebody had to hit all her high notes....
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I thought Stevie's girls were out of place. Then, again, somebody had to hit all her high notes....
or all of their high notes Then again, CM never really had any high notes

The Dance was such an event - I think it was such a harmonious thing to see the five together again. I think La Nicks stole the show with that rendition of GDW, SS, and Landslide, but others will differ in opinion. Sadly, LB's screaming was the hardest thing for me to take on that tour. It will be interesting to see where The Dance lands and if it places very low will it be because the people who think Stevie shined, but do not like her, wish to make a point.

Oh - survivor games

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Tango IN the Night

Behind the Mask was incredible.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 3 - The Dance

I loved seeing the Rumours lineup back together, but from what I've seen and heard, it just seemed so repetitive and boring.

Inspired Angel: Stevie Nicks
Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Au contraire! I think that's a cop-out statement...the problem was that Billy & Rick DID fit in...VERY nicely, too...and that's what scared all the Buckinham fans...he WAS replaceable...and they just couldn't handle it.
Even Rick Vito himself said in his Q&A that you can't really replace anyone. This is what he said when he was asked of what he thought about following up Lindsey Buckingham:
Quote:
I've found that you can't really "live up to" anyone. You can only be yourself, and that's what I tried to do in the Mac.
Maybe Rick and Billy were capable of "replacing" Lindsey on stage (although I'd still rather speak of them being just themselves), after all, with a successful album under their belts Fleetwood Mac could have gone on stage with just about any professional guitar player and they still would have gotten a positive response from the tour. But in studio they couldn't replace Lindsey, after all Behind The Mask was a relative flop in the USA and at that point the public backlash against the members of Fleetwood Mac hadn't yet begun (Stevie's Timespace, released in 1991, still sold in significant numbers, etc.)
Quote:
So, Rick & Billy get the condecending back-handed compliments..."Oh, they're good players, but they don't fit"...that's crap. They fit, TOO good, actually.
In my opinion they are both professional players with a lot of musical skill. And I agree with SteveMacD who has often said that Rick is the best guitar player Fleetwood Mac has ever had, technically.

But then a band could be made of the finest musicians in the world, and it still may not necessarily work in the best way possible. After all, the players' limitations and quirks may not always fit together. But when they do, it doesn't matter how limited a player is; it's the band chemistry in work that makes a band successful, and I don't just mean financial success here.

After all, even Christine herself admitted in her 1995 AOL chat that Lindsey is in terms of chemistry the most appropriate guitar player for the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac that she's been in.
Quote:
What backup musicians? Ok, Isaac Assante played the miscellaneous percussion...Stevie brought "the girls"...other than that, it was just Mick, John, Chris, Billy & Rick. The Dance was the one where they first brought the orchestra.
That reminds me of a post that David wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Oddly, neither of them was able to evolve in any noticeable way in a live setting: e.g., compare Rick's playing of The Chain at the Capital Centre in October 1987 with Las Vegas in June 1990, & you'll hear virtually no difference in the riffs, the tempo, the attack or the general tone. This may have been the fault of the band in general, however. I call the 1987 tour the Digital Tour because everything went digital, & that gave a clinical dullness to the instrumentation (Mick's drums had never before sounded so bloodless & Christine's quirky keyboard presence was blunted) & the vocals, particularly the backup women. Speaking of which, there were the backup players. Oy gevalt. That was the year they all trouped out onstage for the duration of the concert -- one of the most unfortunate decisions the band's ever made, as far as I'm concerned. It was the tour that Fleetwood Mac got perilously closer to your worst MOR nightmare than it had ever been before.
A real band to me is a living, breathing organism that changes its arrangements and improvizes and feeds off from it's members constantly. I think of Fleetwood Mac on the Tusk tour as one of the ultimate peaks of this ideology (and add the Mirage tour as a continuation of that, if you will). I agree with David's statement, in that Rick and Billy didn't really evolve in the live setting of the band, even though they toured with it for a relatively long time. So clearly the chemistry that existed between the Rumours line-up was nowhere to be found after Lindsey left. Maybe that's what people mean by saying "Rick and Billy didn't fit in". The TITN tour/BTM line-up just played the songs professionally in a similar way every night and that was that, there was no real interest to see what the band could achieve in a live setting. And that's why there's no real dissimilarity between the TITN/BTM tour line-up and the line-ups for the Dance and SYW tours, in my opinion.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Behind the Mask was incredible.
Agreed!!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 3 - Behind The Mask Tour

Quite uninteresting to me.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Behind The Mask. Stevie looked comatose on this tour. The highlight for me was Christine's terrific piano solo during "Stop Messin' Around".
You should be ashamed of yourself being the huge christine fan that you are. This was her best tour. She was high in spriits and sounded great.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Started out good in Australia & the first month or two in the United States. Interesting songs in the set, too, like When the Sun Goes Down, Stand on the Rock & Save Me. But it wasn't long before enervation set in. The penultimate night of the tour, in Oakland, was as boring, logy & exhausting as the previous year's Stevie Nicks concert in Mountain View. But the Stevie Nicks concert had the virtue of being about 45 minutes shorter, so we could all go home quicker.
The beginning of this tour was soooo much better than the end. Stevie gained so much weight, the mini skirt was put away, and she stood there. But nevertheless I still love it. Christine actually moved around the stage quite a bit.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Round 3 (BTM) Dealy again! Sorry!

Round 3 sees that Behind The Mask got the most votes. This round saw a bit more diverse votes though.

Behind The Mask Tour, The votes have spoken. Please leave!

Behind The Mask Tour - 11
Dance Tour - 4
Tango Tour - 2
Tusk Tour - 1

Behind The Mask -
Golden Braid
strandinthewind
GypsySorcerer
WelshWitchPMD
face of glass
macfan 57
ontheEdgeof17
David
Hippocampus
msLinds
Serrart
Dance Tour -
chiliD
Neal
HomerMcvie
Dark Angel
Tango In The Night Tour -
gldstwmn
jbrownsjr
Tusk Tour -
AliceLover

Remaning Contestants -
White Album Tour
Rumours Tour
Tusk Tour
Mirage Tour
Tango In The Night Tour (Shakin')
Dance Tour

Voted Off -
Time Tour
Say You Will Tour
Behind The Mask

IMMUNITY!
(First one to answer the question correctly gets to pick who gets saved for the next round)
On which song from The Wild Heart album did Mick Fleetwood play drums?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
Behind The Mask

IMMUNITY!
(First one to answer the question correctly gets to pick who gets saved for the next round)
On which song from The Wild Heart album did Mick Fleetwood play drums?

Sable on Blond

Tusk Tour immune
Old 08-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 4: The Dance

No "Oh Well"?? Then you gotta go.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Dance

The beginning of the end....
Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Round & Round #4: Tango In The Night tour.

A good tour with well-done double-nostalgia for both the blues and Rumours eras, albeit the tour video still isn't much to talk about (in spite of a few highlights). However, I think I explained my case well enough above.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up