User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Also, I thought it was interesting you mentioned Venus instead of Earthquakes or Pink in your best friends list - I've noticed most people don't mention Venus as a favorite, unless they specifically mention that it's the live part (I'd be one of those folks, too, love the live disc, mostly neutral on the studio portion). Is it the studio or the live part, or both, for you?
Venus is my 2nd favourite album after Choirgirl. Both the studio and the live CD are absolutely flawless IMO. I love how radically different it sounds to everything else she's done. If you sit and listen to Pele and then listen to Venus, you wouldn't think it was the same person. Bliss, Juarez, Concertina, Glory Of The 80's, Lust, Suede, Riot Poof, Datura and Spring Haze are some of my all time favourite Tori tracks. I just love everything about Venus. My Tori albums in order or fav - least fav are:

Choirgirl
Venus
Scarlet
Pele
Pink
Posse
Sin
Earthquakes
Girls
Beekeeper

I know LE is low and don't get me wrong, I love it, but I just don't think it works particulaly well as an album. All great songs, but for some reason, they just don't gell together as an album for me
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Well, I'm a male non-Wainwright obssessed Tori fan. So I kind of break that definition a little bit lol.
Well there is always an exception to the rule

(but hey I'm a thirty-five year old guy sitting here typing while listening to Joan Baez so who am I to judge )
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well there is always an exception to the rule

(but hey I'm a thirty-five year old guy sitting here typing while listening to Joan Baez so who am I to judge )
It could be much worse - you could be a 35 year old guy prancing around in a leotard and tights singing Poker Face
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ditto! Me and The Beekeeper have a sort of mutual respect for eachother now. I appreciate her, but we're not best friends like me and Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet and Pele are.

I have made my own version of TBK:

Original Sinsuality
Parasol
Cars And Guitar's
Sweet The Sting
Barons of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
Jamaica Inn
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Garlands
Mary's Of The Sea
The Beekeeper
General Joy
Mother Revolution
The Power Of Orange Knickers
Toast

Photobucket

One of the things that really annoys me is the cover art. It's dreadful. So I made my own using the pic from the tourbook (the tourbook art was STUNNING!!)
BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love what you've done. That SHOULD have been the Beekeeper cover. I'm one of the few Tori fans who actually likes TBK, all of it, and always has. However, the cover sucks. Nice job!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Venus is my 2nd favourite album after Choirgirl. Both the studio and the live CD are absolutely flawless IMO. I love how radically different it sounds to everything else she's done. If you sit and listen to Pele and then listen to Venus, you wouldn't think it was the same person. Bliss, Juarez, Concertina, Glory Of The 80's, Lust, Suede, Riot Poof, Datura and Spring Haze are some of my all time favourite Tori tracks. I just love everything about Venus. My Tori albums in order or fav - least fav are:

Choirgirl
Venus
Scarlet
Pele
Pink
Posse
Sin
Earthquakes
Girls
Beekeeper

I know LE is low and don't get me wrong, I love it, but I just don't think it works particulaly well as an album. All great songs, but for some reason, they just don't gell together as an album for me
Mine would go -

From the Choirgirl Hotel
Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
To Venus and Back
Boys For Pele
Scarlet's Walk
Abnormally Attracted To Sin
American Doll Posse
The Beekeeeper
Strange Little Girls
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
It could be much worse - you could be a 35 year old guy prancing around in a leotard and tights singing Poker Face
I'm pretty sure the only men that should sing that song are Mike Patton and...uh...nope, that's it. Because General Patton basically wins at life.

Not that the chick should sing that song, either, mind you.

Quote:

Choirgirl
Venus
Scarlet
Pele
Pink
Posse
Sin
Earthquakes
Girls
Beekeeper

Ahhh, I got you. I like Suede quite a bit, particularly the version she did on Later with Jools Holland (epic!), but never quite connected with the studio side of Venus as well as I have with other albums. I do love the live side, though, especially The Waitress. Any time she busts out the "hang ten, honey" improv, I am enraptured.

I'm not sure I can pick an absolute favorite album, so we'll do my list like this:

Choirgirl/Pink/Pele
Earthquakes
Venus (live)
Scarlet
ADP
AAtS
Beekeeper
SLG

It makes me sad to put SLG last, because one of my favorite things about Tori are her amazing cover songs. Desperado, Whole Lotta Love, Thank You, Do It Again, Losing My Religion, Like a Prayer, etc, etc, etc - I LOVE when Tori covers a song, because she just does them so damn well and so uniquely. But SLG was just...meh.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
It makes me sad to put SLG last, because one of my favorite things about Tori are her amazing cover songs. Desperado, Whole Lotta Love, Thank You, Do It Again, Losing My Religion, Like a Prayer, etc, etc, etc - I LOVE when Tori covers a song, because she just does them so damn well and so uniquely. But SLG was just...meh.
I love her covers too. Do It Again & Live To Tell are 2 of my favs. A lot of her b-sides are some of my fav tracks - Honey, Beulah Land, Never Seen Blue, Sister Janet, Cooling (although I prefer it live - especially on TVAB CD 2), Take Me With You, Flying Dutchman, Take To The Sky, Upside Down, Here In My Head, Alamo etc. I think the only Tori songs I don't like are The Pool, Ireland, Walk To Dublin, Ribbons Undone, Witness, Dolphin Song, Not David Bowie, Not Dying Today and Posse Bonus.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered

Anyone else catch Miss T performing "Pink and Glitter" off "Midwinter Graces" on Letterman last night? She was fantastic - I couldn't help but smile the whole way through, because she looked so happy. Awesomesauce.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Ditto! Me and The Beekeeper have a sort of mutual respect for eachother now. I appreciate her, but we're not best friends like me and Choirgirl, Venus, Scarlet and Pele are.
Yeah, I've made TONS of edits of the Beekeeper over the years. Eventually, I just settled for making one that makes me happy, even though it means taking a LOT of liberties in song selection. I changed the order around almost completely and I think my version has a pretty good narrative flow.

Here's mine:

Original Sensuality (yep, I changed the spelling.)
General Joy
Not David Bowie (it's a crime that this didn't make it to the album)
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Garlands (ditto)
Parasol
Witness
The Power of Orange Knickers
Barons of Suburbia
Ruby Through the Looking Glass (so should have been kept for TBK)
Mother Revolution
The Beekeeper
Marys of the Sea
Toast