Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default a fool no more, It Takes Time Poll

Two of the songs that Peter Green had recorded in the 60's and again upon is return to the stage are "A Fool No More " and "It Takes Time"

In listening to both songs, the versions are different over time. Which versions of each song do you like the best and why? You can include live shows in your choice

I am just curious

doodyhead
Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very good question!

I prefer the "In the Skies" version of "A Fool No More". The whole tone of the song is so different from the early Mac version - changing from a tone of anger to one of utter resignation. It might be my favorite track, studio or live, from all of Peter's post-Mac work.

I have the opposite feeling about "It Takes Time". I prefer the live version from The Warehouse in New Orleans, from 30 January 1970 - Peter and the band really nailed it on that night. That version has so much more life to it than the Splinter Group versions I've heard.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to agree with Sharksfan .
The version of "A fool no more" from "In the Skies" is so haunting.
It kind of resonates more, as if you can hear what Greeny had been through.
The 1970 version of "It takes time" has more drive, though.
What about other tracks? I def. prefer the '77 version of "Tribal Dance" to the Splinter Group version. Love the Splinter Group versions of "The Supernatural".
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"A Fool No More": Yep, I'll go with the In The Skies version, too, for overall "feel" & the intensity of the vocal, but I like the guitar work of the Fleetwood Mac version a bit better.

While I like both versions of "Tribal Dance", I tend to lean a bit toward the PGSG version as the better of the two. The In The Skies version's main guitar riff gets a bit grating by the middle of the track...the PGSG version's rhythm section has a bit more punch.

For me it's the Bluesbreakers' version of "The Supernatural", all the way. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the song played during those early PGSG concert sets, though. Up until I saw my first PGSG concert, I was resigned to the thought I'd never actually ever see Peter play those classic songs of his in person. ("Green Manalishi", "BMW", "Albatross", "Rattlesnake Shake", etc).

Even though the Bluesbreakers' version of "The Stumble" has more power & drive (and Peter really seems to be channelling Clapton's tone on that one), I tend to prefer the live version from the first PGSG CD the best...it sounds more "Peter" than that Hard Road version.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I have to agree with Sharksfan .
The version of "A fool no more" from "In the Skies" is so haunting.
It kind of resonates more, as if you can hear what Greeny had been through.
The 1970 version of "It takes time" has more drive, though.
What about other tracks? I def. prefer the '77 version of "Tribal Dance" to the Splinter Group version. Love the Splinter Group versions of "The Supernatural".

terrific thread vinnie. i agree with everyone about 'a fool no more' but at the time in the skies came out i felt the opposite. there's a rawness to the track. the guitar is so highly amplified and you can hear pete sliding his fingers along the strings between the notes. i thought 'geez he's playing is really not sharp' and the vocal sounded lazy and emotionless. i disliked it relative to the original. but it grew on me and eventually i heard the intensity of the playing and the resignation (perfect word sf2k) in the vocals and that was it. a favorite. over the years pete has continued to use the noise his fingers make on the strings between notes for extra expression. a signature that gets me everytime.

i prefer the live splinter group version of 'it takes time' to all of the fmac versions i've heard. its a touchstone to his past, a rerecording on a first 'comeback' record. for me there are three key tracks on the first splinter group record (the live one with the couple of studio tracks). there's the studio 'hitchhiking mama' in which he sings and plays alone- slide in a delta style. unexpected- i was floored. then there are the two live tracks in which pete is the primary guitarist throughout 'goin down' (its all pete) and 'it takes time' (nigel takes a break). both are really fluid and expressive. especially 'it takes time' where he accentuates his singing with small guitar comments here and there. it was very clear at this point he was back and playing very well which, after decline in the pvk and kolors era, i didn't expect. so its a sentimental favorite of mine and the fmac version sounds fake (sorry!) in comparison

what can i say? i know i'm in the minority in the forum but i prefer pete's playing these days to him with fleetwood mac

that said, on the mayall covers, the supernatural, i'll take either. it very hard to reproduce the sound in concert so i'd give the original the edge. its not a favorite of mine anyway. i like the splinter group version of the stumble more - anyone who thinks peter green is a shadow of his former self start here and please shut up, alright?

tribal dance, the in skies version. i never much liked it the first time round. hey! pg&f what about some in the skies material live? zero's favorite funky chunk?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
(...)... I have the opposite feeling about "It Takes Time". I prefer the live version from The Warehouse in New Orleans, from 30 January 1970 - Peter and the band really nailed it on that night. That version has so much more life to it than t... [...]
To me sharksfan (talking about life) the version of "It Takes Time" from Stockholm 1969-11-04 is a high octane killer, any thoughts on that one?

All the best
/z
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another thought

Regarding "It Takes Time"
I agree that of the FM takes of this song, the f=version in Sweden 69 had a lot of fire. The problem for me was Mick and John seemed to make it into a march rather than a pony ride
It was more reachable as a song with Brunning Sunflower but the Playing was subdued.

The splinter group played the song better and it worked as a song for them. It was Nigel who was less than up to the task, in my opinion.
As far as A Fool No More. The in The Skies version is so steamy and smoldering, it is reminiscent of Love That Burns.

Regarding the Stumble. To me nothing beats Bluesbreaker version that was released recently by Mayall in that five disc set. He just set the stage on fire. It was just like the "Stop Messin Around" from the College of Distributive Arts"

As for the Supernatural, It is hard to judge that one because it was manufactured in the studio and it is almost a "One of a kind". It sure had Carlos Santana swayed. I am sure that that had a direct effect on the first note he played on his version of Black Magic Woman

I like the Splinter Groups version of Tribal Dance. It is a more mature developed piece by this time

doodyhead
Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Regarding "It Takes Time"
I agree that of the FM takes of this song, the f=version in Sweden 69 had a lot of fire. The problem for me was Mick and John seemed to make it into a march rather than a pony ride
It was more reachable as a song with Brunning Sunflower but the Playing was subdued.

The splinter group played the song better and it worked as a song for them. It was Nigel who was less than up to the task, in my opinion.
As far as A Fool No More. The in The Skies version is so steamy and smoldering, it is reminiscent of Love That Burns.

Regarding the Stumble. To me nothing beats Bluesbreaker version that was released recently by Mayall in that five disc set. He just set the stage on fire. It was just like the "Stop Messin Around" from the College of Distributive Arts"

As for the Supernatural, It is hard to judge that one because it was manufactured in the studio and it is almost a "One of a kind". It sure had Carlos Santana swayed. I am sure that that had a direct effect on the first note he played on his version of Black Magic Woman

I like the Splinter Groups version of Tribal Dance. It is a more mature developed piece by this time

doodyhead
Vinnie, I agree on the Stumble, nothing I've heard beats the Bluesbreaker version. Regarding Stop Messin' Around, I remember a Helsinki version that kills!

Haven't thought of the "march rather than a pony ride" issue. I'll check that out :-)

I couldn't find that version of "A Fool No More" on my HD, but I remember listening to a haunting slow blues FM used to play (beamed me from The Skies back to the FM days).

/z
Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
To me sharksfan (talking about life) the version of "It Takes Time" from Stockholm 1969-11-04 is a high octane killer, any thoughts on that one?

All the best
/z
Zoork, I was going to listen to that Stockholm version again but haven't done it yet. I've listened to the Warehouse version much more often due to the better sound quality.

While we're on the general subject, how about "Albatross"? I never thought anything could top the original (though some of the early live performances are excellent - the ones from Shrine '69 and from the New Orleans Warehouse show come to mind). But I sure do like the recent "Peter Green & Friends" performances - the new arrangement works beautifully, and Peter's playing has been exceptional.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Ledgie

Sure it is "It Takes Time" from Stockholm 1969-11-04, I was there! PG was on fire that night. A highlight of my live concertgoing experiences.
As for "The Supernatural" it's the Hard Road version, but a later version that's spinechilling is 1999-02-28, also from Stockholm, Peter and Nigel Watson played with Ronander Blues Band... By the way, I was there too;-)
Old 09-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep, the Bluesbreakers versions are killer, but it was early days - hence the Clapton influence. I don't think Green hade fully developed his tone yet in '66. So it's two sides of the same coin. Personally I very much enjoy versions of "Supernatural" and "Stumble" - just listen to the precision, the care with which he chooses his notes in the recent Stumbles..amazing.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

I would plum for the fleetwood mac version of fool no more. I know alot of people see the in the skies version in a positive light, and i do like the album alot however for me they are incomparable.
I feel the in the skies version is like they have asked him to play an old tune and to me he doesnt sound like he´s giving his all, or maybe due to his well being he was unable too. The fleetmac version is awesome and pretty flawless!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have to agree with Greenmanastrat concerning Fool No More. It has much more of the anger that Sharksfan seemingly dislikes compared to the In The Skies Version. I reckon that I would feel the anger too when I conclude for myself that I won't be that fool no more either. But....each to his own opinion, with al respect. BTW just listened to the Middle Earth Club version. Awful recording, but Peter's tone was outstanding.

As for The Stumble, I feel that no version can in any way compete with Freddie King. Sorry folks. And actually the same goes for It Takes Time. No better that Otis Rush, although I do feel that Peter did a really good job on this one, whichever version.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Have to agree with Greenmanastrat concerning Fool No More. It has much more of the anger that Sharksfan seemingly dislikes compared to the In The Skies Version. I reckon that I would feel the anger too when I conclude for myself that I won't be that fool no more either. But....each to his own opinion, with al respect. BTW just listened to the Middle Earth Club version. Awful recording, but Peter's tone was outstanding.
Wouter, it's not that I don't like the Mac recording of "A Fool No More". The lyrics certainly suggest a tone of anger would be appropriate - Peter does a fine job of it there and I like it quite a bit. But I was stunned at how he turned the whole feeling of that song upside-down with the In the Skies version. His vocal and playing on that carry so much more emotion to me.... it reminds me in a way of Peter's first masterpiece, "Out Of Reach" (and as Vinnie mentioned, "Love That Burns", as well as other slower, down-beat numbers like "Worried Dream" and "All Over Again"). But of course as with many blues (and other) songs, what carries an emotional connection with one person may not do that with another.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default a fool some more and it takes more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post

As for The Stumble, I feel that no version can in any way compete with Freddie King. Sorry folks. And actually the same goes for It Takes Time. No better that Otis Rush, although I do feel that Peter did a really good job on this one, whichever version.
I have to agree with Wouter with respect to "It Takes Time" But which Otis Rush version?He too, had so many. The one that he did in Mourning In The Mornin (produced by Michael Bloomfield and Nick Gravenetes) was not as good as the original. In fact the second best one in my opinion was done by The two producers in "Live At The Filmore West". That was the first version I heard and is a benchmark for me. I was just comparing PG versions in this PG site. As for the Stumble, again Freddy King is the King. I saw him do it live and I wa floored, but that was never recorded. Even Freddies "I'm Tore Down was not as good in Getting Ready as it was on the original recording. "Oh Well", but PG does a hard to beat version and any guitarist would give their Fret Arm for that.

doodyhead

Thanks Wouter, Lee and Ken