User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default NME article

Hi folks!

I promised a looooooooong time ago to post an old NME article where Peter mentioned the Green-Kirwan intrumental album that never materialized. (Remember, Sharksfan? )
The article was called "Why Peter Green wants to give away his money".

I have several articles and interviews from 1968-70, and I'd gladly post more, but it takes time because I am no computer Einstein and the limit for pictures is 100 kb. So I have to split them up...

So this is rather caveman-ish, but I hope you folks enjoy!

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NME 28 Feb 70 - 1.JPG (83.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg NME 28 Feb 70 - 2.JPG (75.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg NME 28 Feb 70 - 3.JPG (74.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg NME 28 Feb 70 - 4.JPG (79.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg NME 28 Feb 70 - 5.JPG (76.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The rumour of Danny leaving Mac in 1970 is mentioned in another article that I have too .. one announcing a FM live LP to be released in 1970 (the Boston Tea Party recordings). In that article Clifford Davis denies Danny leaving, but revealing that Danny had been under much stress. I think the story was that Danny had walked off stage in anger during a show.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Article

Thanks for sharing, couldn't stop reading....

/Z
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very nice stuff. Like a trip through time.

Thank you.

Michele
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Hi folks!

I promised a looooooooong time ago to post an old NME article where Peter mentioned the Green-Kirwan intrumental album that never materialized. (Remember, Sharksfan? )

I have several articles and interviews from 1968-70, and I'd gladly post more, but it takes time because I am no computer Einstein and the limit for pictures is 100 kb. So I have to split them up...

Daniel
Daniel, I do remember that you were going to post this, and thanks so much for doing it! Very nice to read this article....I know it's not easy to deal with that 100kb limit for uploads so I think everyone here appreciates the time it took you to do this. Love to see more articles if you get the time - thanks again!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What a damn shame!

If Peter could've stayed in the the line-up just another six months, his future would've been very different. The Boston Tea Party shows would've been released the same year as "Live at Leeds", and "Get Your Ya Ya's Out". That album would've changed the band in the U.S.. Even if Green had left at the end of 1970, his legacy would've been sealed in America instead of his cult status among musicians, and anglophiles in the states. One listens to those concerts in the winter/spring of 1970, compared to concerts from '69, and this is a band on the verge of greatness. By 1970, they had figured out how to balance Spencer, Green, and Kirwan songs that didn't bore the audience. When I first discovered this version of FM years ago, you heard "acid casualty". Being a Syd Barrett Pink Floyd fan I know what "acid casualty" truly was when Barrett could no longer play with Pink Floyd on stage, and stood still in silence. From the live recordings that exist after "Munich", Peter Green was playing his very best.

P.S. thanks dansven for the work it took to post this.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-14-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks friends!

Slipkid, that's interesting ... comparing the Boston recordings with "Ya Ya's" and "Leeds".
I've posted another article on the Pre-Rumours forum .. also something that "could have been".

Last edited by dansven; 08-14-2009 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks friend!

Slipkid, that's interesting ... comparing the Boston recordings with "Ya Ya's" and "Leeds".
I've posted another article on the Pre-Rumours forum .. also something that "could have been".
Even though it wasn't released until years later, the three volume Boston set should stand along "Leeds" and "Live at the Fillmore East" (Allman Bros.) as the best live rock albums of all time. I mentioned Ya Ya's because it was released in '70, but I don't think it's the best or one of the best live albums, though it is very good. I have a Stones at Leeds '71 boot that kills Ya Ya's.

Another reason to stick it out for another six months: Kiln House (with Peter Green). "Loving Kind", "Only You", and "Sandy Mary" never made it to the recording studio (outside of the BBC). Add those dual guitar gems to the existing album and it's another animal.

Last edited by slipkid; 08-14-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In my last post it was supposed to be "friends" in plural!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Even though it wasn't released until years later, the three volume Boston set should stand along "Leeds" and "Live at the Fillmore East" (Allman Bros.) as the best live rock albums of all time.
Yes, I am not that familiar with the Allman brothers album, but imo Mac's Tea Party beats both the Who and Stones.

It's also interesting that Peter revisited a couple of his own blues songs, both as studio outakes and onstage. I'm thinking about "Fast Talking Woman Blues" (based on "Driftin'") and "Leaving Town Blues" from BBC/Show-Biz Blues album. Both songs were unreleased at the time ... So I've always imagined that the next FM album (if Peter had stayed) would have contained one of these....

I have a live bootleg with the Kiln House line-up (can't remember the date), and Danny actually did "Like It This Way" alone. And although he did a fine job, it's still quite sad. Because the absence of Peter is so evident on that song, where there should have been two duelling guitars.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Great caveman superpost rules!

Quote:
Hi folks!

Daniel
Thank you very much for posting this article dansven. Music magazines at the end of the sixties were great. I remember reading NME as a very young kid, but alas! I was not interested in FM then, so I never kept them! So it is really really nice to see this article. Like Sharksfan2000 I would appreciate if you some time - along the way - have the time and patience to struggle with whatever it takes (I am an IT- illiterate myself, so I know how it is).

Thanks again - Ms Moose
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you, Daniel!
Greeny comes across as very clear-headed in that interview, more Bob Geldof than Syd Barrett.
Please put up more stuff when you have time
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have a live bootleg with the Kiln House line-up (can't remember the date), and Danny actually did "Like It This Way" alone. And although he did a fine job, it's still quite sad. Because the absence of Peter is so evident on that song, where there should have been two duelling guitars.
I know what you mean about that Kiln House era "Like It This Way", Daniel (that boot is listed as Fillmore West, 7 August 1970, one of their first live shows after Peter left the band). I've only heard it from that one date, so maybe they quickly figured out that it didn't work without both Danny and Peter. Considering how crucial their guitar interplay was to that song, I'm surprised Danny even attempted it without Peter.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Greeny comes across as very clear-headed in that interview, more Bob Geldof than Syd Barrett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
I know what you mean about that Kiln House era "Like It This Way", Daniel (that boot is listed as Fillmore West, 7 August 1970, one of their first live shows after Peter left the band). I've only heard it from that one date, so maybe they quickly figured out that it didn't work without both Danny and Peter. Considering how crucial their guitar interplay was to that song, I'm surprised Danny even attempted it without Peter.
Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the date! And perhaps it was right of them to leave it and look forward instead..

Check out the Pre-Rumours forum for another article!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Even though it wasn't released until years later, the three volume Boston set should stand along "Leeds" and "Live at the Fillmore East" (Allman Bros.) as the best live rock albums of all time.
To me:

Everything else pales in comparison to the Allman Bros Live At The Fillmore East. Long been touted as the best live album ever released, bar none. Derek & The Dominos' In Concert is far back at #2. The Live At The Boston Tea Party is probably a distant third. Live At Leeds, as originally released with only 5 tracks, is pathetic...it wasn't until they reissued the expanded version on CD that it's true "worth" finally appears, too little, too late. The Stones didn't release a decent live album until Flashpoint. Ten Years After's Recorded Live is definitely in the Top 5 of all-time live albums. And, let's not forget Jimi Hendrix's Band Of Gypsys.