The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If anyone has heard Jeremy's playing recently, he's playing better than ever. PLUS, he even admitted in his Q&A here a few years back that he just was lazy and didn't apply himself while in Fleetwood Mac. NOW?! I think just the original quartet would be great.

No need for the "third guitarist". But, if they were going to be adamant about a third guitarist (and take this from me being as much of the Rick Vito fan that I am), I think if any Fleetwood Mac guitarist were to "fill Danny's shoes", the logical choice would be...oh, God, I can't believe I'm going to say this...Lindsey. There's no coincidence that a majority of the "old songs" that Lindsey chose to cover right after he joined were Danny's tunes:

Station Man
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Sunny Side Of Heaven

etc.

I can definitely hear Lindsey pulling off "Jigsaw Puzzle Blues" as well.

But, again, I really hope that they just keep it to the original quartet, though.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I think if any Fleetwood Mac guitarist were to "fill Danny's shoes", the logical choice would be...oh, God, I can't believe I'm going to say this...Lindsey.

(Passing out...breathing laboured...Can't believe he said that...Rick's biggest fan thinks Lindsey -LINDSEY- should fill in for Danny...Nothing makes sense anymore...Lights turning black...)

The only problem with Lindsey is that he doesn't like the blues, so I doubt that would fly with him. And I just don't see him finding anything artistic about that reunion. But, my biggest fear is that by the time they actually finished the project if Lindsey were in charge, Peter and Jeremy would both go insane (no pun intended) again!

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-21-2005 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Ledgie

I was just recently checking out Jeremy's website and listening to some live cuts from him. He really does seem to have his chops together as you say. I think that what would make greeny feel comfortable, and bring out the best in him is if he had a strong second "lead" guitarist to take off the pressure. How about someone like Mick Taylor? Then you'd have a little Mayall connection too. Maybe Albert Lee?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Jeremy never stopped playing. He's just kept an extremely low profile. As for a second lead guitarist, I still say Rick Vito. Heck, the guy even covers Peter Green on his own albums. His renditions of "I Loved Another Woman" and "Stop Messin' Round" were the high points for my first Mac concert back in 1990. It was dead-on! Mick Taylor and Albert Lee were contemporaries. Vito was a student, much like Kirwan, hence the appeal for me. As much as I don't like the "Tango" video, I'd still buy just for "I Loved Another Woman." It's probably the only good reason to own the video.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Enough with this Rick Vito... Sure, he's a fine guitar player, but if you go to hear Peter Green,
wouldn't people want to hear him play, not Rick Vito? Imagine if they had Eddie Van Halen
in the newly reformed Cream playing Eric's solos? Ok, Eric is in better shape than Peter, but anyway...
Old 03-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's apples and oranges between Clapton and Green. I can't believe you don't see that Peter has a history of freaking out whenever there's a lot of pressure on him. If there was a reunion of the original Mac, there would be much more pressure on Peter. He'd be the guy in charge. That's why the Splinter Group worked. Sure, he was the star of the band, but Nigel took a lot of pressure off of Peter in terms of guitar playing and in terms of the overall direction of the band. Peter didn't make the decisions in that band. He was much more sheltered in the Splinter Group than he would be in Fleetwood Mac. So, another lead guitarist would probably be in order, given Peter's history. And, I think the other guitarist should be dependable, and Rick has a proven track record.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Enough with this Rick Vito... Sure, he's a fine guitar player, but if you go to hear Peter Green, wouldn't people want to hear him play, not Rick Vito?
Well, I went to see the PGSG 5 times to hear Peter Green and heard much more of Nigel Watson. Even if I'd gone to see Fleetwood Mac in 1969/70, I would've gone to hear Peter Green play and STILL heard more of Danny Kirwan than I would have Peter.

My "thing" about Rick being involved is that Peter is already there...Rick & Peter's sound & feel are so close it would be like having two of the same guitarist playing. Back in the day, Kirwan had his own different sound (as did Nigel in the PGSG).

OK, somebody call Bob Welch...get his ass to the sessions. Welch, Green & Spencer, now THERE's your 3-guitar lineup!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, somebody call Bob Welch...get his ass to the sessions. Welch, Green & Spencer, now THERE's your 3-guitar lineup!
Ooh, I like that idea! Three talented guitarists with completely different styles. I wonder if Welch would do it considering his less-than-great relationship with the band in the past, but it would be a nice move that would help with recognizing his contributions in the early 70's.

Anyway, I still won't believe any reunion is happening until I see it with my own eyes (or hear it with my own ears? ). Seems to me that there are a lot of obstacles in the way.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My "thing" about Rick being involved is that Peter is already there...Rick & Peter's sound & feel are so close it would be like having two of the same guitarist playing. Back in the day, Kirwan had his own different sound (as did Nigel in the PGSG).
I can see that. I guess, for me, it would be nice to have an actual student of Peter's on stage with the band. But, yeah, I guess Rick could be seen as being too much like Greeny himself. As a fan of the blues era Mac and of Rick Vito, I always thought it would be cool to hear Rick with the early Mac. And, I think he's the only guitarist the Mac had post-Green that could really do that era justice if the original Mac got back together, while still being low-key enough to let the real stars of the show shine.

Quote:
Hmmm. That would be interesting. Many shades of Fleetwood Mac to be sure. My one concern is that the focus of the blues version of Fleetwood Mac would be overshadowed by Welch's jazz tendancies. But, it could be extremely rewarding.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
Ooh, I like that idea! Three talented guitarists with completely different styles. I wonder if Welch would do it considering his less-than-great relationship with the band in the past, but it would be a nice move that would help with recognizing his contributions in the early 70's.

Anyway, I still won't believe any reunion is happening until I see it with my own eyes (or hear it with my own ears? ). Seems to me that there are a lot of obstacles in the way.
Well, Welch has patched things up with the band, so I don't think that's an issue at this point. As for the actual possibility of a reunion, hey, I didn't believe the "Rumours" band would ever get back together, but it happened. Anything is possible with Fleetwood Mac.

To be honest, I think there's a better chance of the original Mac reuniting than Bob and Gary working out a new CBA anytime soon.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 03-22-2005 at 05:11 PM..
Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
To be honest, I think there's a better chance of the original Mac reuniting than Bob and Gary working out a new CBA anytime soon.
Yeah, you might be right about that
Old 03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I can see that. I guess, for me, it would be nice to have an actual student of Peter's on stage with the band.
Of course, I would LOVE to see Rick & Peter play together. But, after hearing Dickey Betts & Dan Toler together in one of the Allman Bros incarnations, it was like two Dickey Betts' on stage. I think the same thing would happen with Rick & Peter, though. I was glad when the ABB got Warren Haynes on board to spar with Dickey, it was like having Duane Allman back in the band again. There was a distinct difference between the two guitarists. That's why I think either Lindsey or Bob Welch would be better choices...or even add Bob Weston to the list.

But, I think we should wait to hear how Peter & Jeremy handle the situation themselves before we REALLY go off the deep end with the "third guitarist" scenarios.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah...you're right that Peter probably feels uncomfortable as the sole lead guitar player. Of course I can see that. It's just that it has to be someone who doesn't "step on his toes". Nigel Watson may have been supportive as a person, but as the years went he kind of almost totally took over on guitar. If you listen to early Splinter gigs Peter is actually playing more solos, "Supernatural" etc; than he did later on. So how is that being supportive?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Even if I'd gone to see Fleetwood Mac in 1969/70, I would've gone to hear Peter Green play and STILL heard more of Danny Kirwan than I would have Peter.

...well, certainly not on the bootlegs I have from that era!!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this is an exciting prospect for sure. i'll play the devil in this thread.

i don't think this is a very good idea. recall that fleetwood has been trying to get this to happen since peter came back in mid 90's. if you re-read the penguin q&a with peter from 99 you'll find another reference to an attempt to reunite the original fm.

you'd hope, that of all people, fleetwood has peter's best interests in mind- but i doubt it. there's a good possibility that it is about money as much as anything. were it about just getting together to play the blues why would they need a record contract? announcing it at the r&r hall of fame is not a good sign. between mick and nigel watson, i'm not sure who i'd choose.

if peter wants to do it and is allowed to do it on his own terms, then i hope it happens. i'll buy the record if they make one. but, i don't think peter will do it. and think it is unwise.

ok, let me have it!

best to all, zero