User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Stephen gets pretty good mileage out of it. But I never found out whether this was the Richard and Linda Thompson of that kinky little masterpiece “Shoot Out the Lights.” Stephen, could you clarify?
That’s the one. Also of the “Dimming of the Day,” “Who Knows Where The Time Goes,” and “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” masterpieces.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-20-2021, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The headline “Fleetwood Mac Fires Stevie Nicks” would humiliate Stevie, to be sure.
That would never happen, as it would KILL any tour sales. If they did it, they'd offer her a buyout and ask her to say it was a 'creative difference' issue.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
That would never happen, as it would KILL any tour sales. If they did it, they'd offer her a buyout and ask her to say it was a 'creative difference' issue.
There aren’t going to be any more tours, though. Mick and Mike said as much last year and Christine basically confirmed it. Having lost at least one year which may extend into two years, even a small run of shows here or there is becoming less realistic. They’re still on the table, though. Even if Fleetwood Mac only serves as a way for Stevie to get more attention, it’s a lot of attention, and something she’d hate to lose.

Fleetwood Mac might be in a position to force the issue of an album, which is really the only reason for a non-touring band to exist. At this point, the McVies are ready to wrap it up, so the threat of losing Stevie’s star power doesn’t hold a lot of weight for them. Neil has Crowded House, Mike has the Dirty Knobs and maybe the Heartbreakers (which gives him even more leverage), and Mick will likely have Lindsey.

The big tour paydays are over and everyone who wants work can get it. However, Stevie might benefit the most from Fleetwood Mac still being an entity. Otherwise, she’s just a solo artist and not also the star of a legendary band.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-20-2021 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The big tour paydays are over and everyone who wants work can get it. However, Stevie might benefit the most from Fleetwood Mac still being an entity. Otherwise, she’s just a solo artist and not also the star of a legendary band.
It would not surprise me too much if she recruited Mike and Mick ( who may by then be in serious need of $) as members of her band touring as an almost de facto Fleetwood Mac. She wasted no time in throwing together a box set and touring solo when the Dance reunion ended prematurely with Chris leaving. She even hit many of the cities that they missed on the Fleetwood Mac tour.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There aren’t going to be any more tours, though. Mick and Mike said as much last year and Christine basically confirmed it. Having lost at least one year which may extend into two years, even a small run of shows here or there is becoming less realistic. They’re still on the table, though. Even if Fleetwood Mac only serves as a way for Stevie to get more attention, it’s a lot of attention, and something she’d hate to lose.

Fleetwood Mac might be in a position to force the issue of an album, which is really the only reason for a non-touring band to exist. At this point, the McVies are ready to wrap it up, so the threat of losing Stevie’s star power doesn’t hold a lot of weight for them. Neil has Crowded House, Mike has the Dirty Knobs and maybe the Heartbreakers (which gives him even more leverage), and Mick will likely have Lindsey.

1)dear god I hope not

2) at this point in time it seems she's quite ok with that
Old 02-22-2021, 03:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

no matter how much some people here seem to be clamoring and insisting that Lindsey needs Mac, or Mac members, he doesn't. sure for friendship, but not for his career or his legacy.
The problem is, while his fans have every right to feel this way and this position is more than justified, I am not sure that Lindsey feels this way. He is not the man who left in 1987 and did not look back for 10 years. What he wants and what he should want maybe two different things.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The problem is, while his fans have every right to feel this way and this position is more than justified, I am not sure that Lindsey feels this way. He is not the man who left in 1987 and did not look back for 10 years. What he wants and what he should want maybe two different things.
yes, unfortunately.

won't stop fans who feel this way from screaming to all who would hear what he should want. what he says he cares about.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-22-2021, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wonder how many of the fans who feel that way were around in the ‘90s, back when Lindsey thought he didn’t need Fleetwood Mac for his career or his legacy?

OOTC, the masterpiece he had to leave Fleetwood Mac to make, got one of the most glowing reviews I’ve ever read in Rolling Stone and it was heavily promoted. Still, it only peaked at #128. That’s why he’s not the same guy who left Fleetwood Mac in 1987. He got thoroughly humbled by that experience and was back in the picture by 1995, two years after the OOTC tour (hence Time being DOA).

Quote:
yes, unfortunately.

won't stop fans who feel this way from screaming to all who would hear what he should want. what he says he cares about.
Lindsey doesn’t lose anything by putting Mick on drums, though. The actual art doesn’t suffer. His songs and sonic textures don’t change. If anything, adding Mick would give the songs a more organic feel compared to how Lindsey usually does the drums, and give Lindsey more attention with the association of the Fleetwood name.

ETA: It will also give him a new five minute psychobabble-laden speech on healing, forgiveness, and growth.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-22-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ILindsey doesn’t lose anything by putting Mick on drums, though. The actual art doesn’t suffer. His songs and sonic textures don’t change. If anything, adding Mick would give the songs a more organic feel compared to how Lindsey usually does the drums, and give Lindsey more attention with the association of the Fleetwood name.

ETA: It will also give him a new five minute psychobabble-laden speech on healing, forgiveness, and growth.
i agree with you that artistically, Mick is a plus. for any releases, yes.

however, Mick on tour is overpriced and makes the tickets more expensive for fans. he will want to make more money than on MFBB solo band - where he makes money by $400+ M&Gs.

meanwhile, Lindsey has now figured out he can make money on solo tours by doing relatively cheap M&Gs ($250-300), sell VIP packages, and have market-priced ticket sales (ie variable prices depending on the demand) - while his prices are still very affordable for fans.

Mick added to Lindsey solo tour would raise the price for fans and probably create less profit for Lindsey, since Mick would want to make at least as much as he's making with his overpriced MFBB M&Gs. Mick has not done any FM or MFBB / solo tours without his overpriced M&Gs for more than a decade now. i don't see him starting now, just for the pleasure of playing unless he all of the sudden has reverse in personality.

if there was FM 4 project with Mick, Chris, Lindsey and John starting with issuing a new release, i could get on board of that. as long as there's no Stevie who would hold the project hostage as she had been for the last 2 decades.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-22-2021, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m not sure the price of M&Gs is a convincing justification for not adding Mick. Touring generates the most income for artists these days, and adding Mick would likely lead to bigger venues.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m not sure the price of M&Gs is a convincing justification for not adding Mick. Touring generates the most income for artists these days, and adding Mick would likely lead to bigger venues.
again, adding Mick would likely generate less revenue for LB and the rest of his band - since it seems that's what your main worry is. (it is definitely not mine, Lindsey and Mick should have been set for life long time ago, and definitely now after selling some of their rights.)

i've heard many breathing a sigh of relief when we found out Mick will not be a part of BuckVie touring band. the price of tickets, interacting with performers on stage, and therefor proximity to the stage is important to many fans i know. it obviously is not important to you, and that's ok.

Mick and his band play bars, vineyards, and tiny clubs. i really don't understand why you think that somehow adding him would expand the venue sizes - plus again, even if that would be the case, why would fans want to see shows in larger venues? if i can see any of my favorite stadium bands in clubs or theaters, i would definitely prefer that.

Last edited by elle; 02-22-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m not sure the price of M&Gs is a convincing justification for not adding Mick.
the price of tickets, and how good of a seat you can get without having to pay Mick's M&G. not the price of M&G.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
the price of tickets, and how good of a seat you can get without having to pay Mick's M&G. not the price of M&G.
It would still be Lindsey’s show. Lindsey could just say no M&Gs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

if there was FM 4 project with Mick, Chris, Lindsey and John starting with issuing a new release, i could get on board of that. as long as there's no Stevie who would hold the project hostage as she had been for the last 2 decades.
Exactly. The only FM project I'll ever buy into again is a $tevieless one. If Lindsey would go back, the old goat better not be there.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It would still be Lindsey’s show. Lindsey could just say no M&Gs.
If Mick and Lindsey were to do live shows together, I believe it would be billed Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham. I can't see Mick as a member of Lindsey's band. Yes he'd play the drums with Lindsey, however I'd see it being Lindsey and Mick's band.
I see them sharing the billing, kind of like Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo, or Matthews and Reynolds

I think Mick would rather play with Neil than Lindsey though.

I'd be happy if Lindsey had Jimmy Paxson, though Lindsey hired a new guy for the tour that was to happen in Spring/Summer 2020.