Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default All the Various Rumours Editions

I have the following Rumours versions:

1. The 1977 release (CD and vinyl)
2. The 2004 release with an outtakes CD
3. The 2001 DVD-A
4. The Deluxe Edition (CD, Vinyl, Rosebud film, Live CD, 2 outtake CDs)

I'm not trying to be a completest on this album or anything, but I do like remasters, outtakes, demos and rough cuts. So far, I haven't bothered to see if I have any overlap on outtakes, demos, etc. I understand there is a remastered version now? Assuming it contains rare gems not previously released, does anyone know off hand what it would add to my collection? I'm trying to avoid having to write it all out on paper so I can compare. I'm also assuming a remastered version may not sound a whole lot better than the DVD-A. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any information you fellow collectors can add.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Supporting Ledgie

There was also an SACD hybrid release of the album from about 5-6 years back
Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh heck, never mind. I got caught in my mess of a CD catalog trying to figure out which remasters I need and went a little bonkers. Unfortunately, due to running out of storage space, I made a bad decision to throw out jewel cases and artwork in favor of book holders so in some cases I have no idea which version a disc is because it doesnt say on the label. I have a white album CD that says disc 1 but cant find disc 2. I fear it got tossed with the case. Doesnt help that each title has 8 versions and I cant seem to stop myself, haha! Anywho, carry on! :-)
Old 11-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertangel View Post
Oh heck, never mind. I got caught in my mess of a CD catalog trying to figure out which remasters I need and went a little bonkers. Unfortunately, due to running out of storage space, I made a bad decision to throw out jewel cases and artwork in favor of book holders so in some cases I have no idea which version a disc is because it doesnt say on the label. I have a white album CD that says disc 1 but cant find disc 2. I fear it got tossed with the case. Doesnt help that each title has 8 versions and I cant seem to stop myself, haha! Anywho, carry on! :-)
I just can't bring myself to throw them out. .. I know how you feel
Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't do it. You see what can happen? I want to search the boxes in the garage in case it was a nightmare, but there's a faded memory of that sinking feeling as I tossed them in the garbage can and the internal conversation... "when's the last time I opened any of these? And boy do they take up room." I did keep the Enchanted and Chain box set cases. Those blasted cleaning jags can be brutal!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To this day I have the LP....and only the LP.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
To this day I have the LP....and only the LP.
I bought the 2004 reissues, and I'm DONE. Because, lessee...if memory serves, that's:
4 - 8 track tapes
3 - cassettes
2 - LPs
3 - CDs

That's 12 royalty payments for the same album. They could wrap another version in one of Stevie's shawls, and try to sell it... But I'm done.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do love all my Rumours treasures. It's great to trash all the poor boot recordings and replace with quality "official" music. I have bought all of the reissues.I didn't get the vinyl or the DVD Rosebud portion but I can live without that.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought that the 2004 "Remastered and Expanded" edition was the best one. Not only is "Silver Springs" in the middle of the album where it belongs and not tacked on at the end, which totally ruins the epic ending of GDW, but the audio quality is spot on. The 2013 remaster used waaaaaaayyyyy too much compression. It's a lot louder, but distorted in a few places.

They messed with the running order too much on the original DVD-A release, which I wasn't happy about.

Also, I think you missed one. There was the boxset version with the records and DVD's as well as the 3 CD remaster from 2013.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:47 AM

I love the Silver Springs Demo of the 2004 reissue, it's the longest we have and it's fabulous with Stevie screaming the coda ad infinitum.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I love the Silver Springs Demo of the 2004 reissue, it's the longest we have and it's fabulous with Stevie screaming the coda ad infinitum.
I almost forgot about that. I think there's like 3 or 4 GDW on that cd.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm still waiting for the band to release a version of Rumours where various members of the band can be heard breathing in between takes. That'd be fantastic.

Happy Birthday to you and me today, doll!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's one of my favourite outtakes ever, seriously. Stevie said the original Silver Springs was almost 7 glorious minutes long, and that outtake is 6 minutes and 14, so it's the closest we have to it.
However the only little problem I have with the Mac reissues is the fact that they tend to have 4/5/6 outtakes of the same song. Like on Tusk last year, 6 outtakes of I know I'm Not Wrong followed by 5 outtakes of Tusk? Who thought that was a good idea?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It's one of my favourite outtakes ever, seriously. Stevie said the original Silver Springs was almost 7 glorious minutes long, and that outtake is 6 minutes and 14, so it's the closest we have to it.
However the only little problem I have with the Mac reissues is the fact that they tend to have 4/5/6 outtakes of the same song. Like on Tusk last year, 6 outtakes of I know I'm Not Wrong followed by 5 outtakes of Tusk? Who thought that was a good idea?
not sure how much input the band has on these. the record label owns the master tapes, and can do what they will, as long as the producers and artists and songwriters get their royalties. That's why Lindsey made a point in the DR doc to remind the band (Mick I think actually) that *he* owned the masters to all of his own songs and therefore could pull them off the FM record if he wanted.
The label picked Ken to work on it. I'd be curious if the band got any say at all.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
not sure how much input the band has on these. the record label owns the master tapes, and can do what they will, as long as the producers and artists and songwriters get their royalties. That's why Lindsey made a point in the DR doc to remind the band (Mick I think actually) that *he* owned the masters to all of his own songs and therefore could pull them off the FM record if he wanted.
The label picked Ken to work on it. I'd be curious if the band got any say at all.
Absolutely yes, I also remember Lindsey saying he wanted to stay out of the last reissues. That's also why the band doesn't know anything about their much coveted past live footage. Really someone should knock out whover is responsible for all these lost chances. Think about all those remastered DVDs of concerts that we could have.