User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Let's talk about Say You Will marking FM's legacy

Hi all,

The last studio album by Fleetwood Mac was Buckingham McVie. Oh, sorry, my mistake - it was Say You Will. Apart from a 17 minute EP they haven't released new music or even live recordings apart from Live in Boston (2003) since then.

So how does Say You Will stack up? Does it cement their legacy as a confessional songwriting team? An adult contemporary pop music powerhouse?

I'm going to give my opinion in answer to those questions, but only because I want to hear yours too.

Say You Will is my second favourite Fleetwood Mac album. Tusk is my favourite but I've heard it too much. I've listened to Say You Will many times, it is in heavy rotation on my car CD player currently. I think is a brilliant, creative, challenging album. I think the band, including Christine (for her keyboards and backing vocals on two songs) can be very proud of their efforts. John McVie's bass line on Smile at You is genius. All the band members produced great works of art. Nicks could have written more than four new songs but other than that I can't complain. I think Say You Will has stood the test of time. 14 years later it sounds incredible to me still with every listen, though I first heard it in 2012.

Extended Play was good too but it doesn't count as an album and SYW ****s all over it.

But here's a curly one: what's a better legacy, Buckingham McVie (If it had been say, On With the Show by Fleetwood Mac) or Say You Will?

I'm curious to hear your answers to that one for sure!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Hi all,

The last studio album by Fleetwood Mac was Buckingham McVie. Oh, sorry, my mistake - it was Say You Will. Apart from a 17 minute EP they haven't released new music or even live recordings apart from Live in Boston (2003) since then.

So how does Say You Will stack up? Does it cement their legacy as a confessional songwriting team? An adult contemporary pop music powerhouse?

I'm going to give my opinion in answer to those questions, but only because I want to hear yours too.

Say You Will is my second favourite Fleetwood Mac album. Tusk is my favourite but I've heard it too much. I've listened to Say You Will many times, it is in heavy rotation on my car CD player currently. I think is a brilliant, creative, challenging album. I think the band, including Christine (for her keyboards and backing vocals on two songs) can be very proud of their efforts. John McVie's bass line on Smile at You is genius. All the band members produced great works of art. Nicks could have written more than four new songs but other than that I can't complain. I think Say You Will has stood the test of time. 14 years later it sounds incredible to me still with every listen, though I first heard it in 2012.

Extended Play was good too but it doesn't count as an album and SYW ****s all over it.

But here's a curly one: what's a better legacy, Buckingham McVie (If it had been say, On With the Show by Fleetwood Mac) or Say You Will?

I'm curious to hear your answers to that one for sure!
I've always seen it more as a Buckingham Nicks album with a good rhythm section as opposed to being a real FM album. I really don't care for it, a few good songs but overall too long and too loudly mastered for my tastes.
The vibe also seems unhappy. Have you heard Bare Trees, Future Games or Then Play On?
Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

I find Say You Will a bit like Buck/Vie- two solo albums combined into one. It's just more noticeable on Say You Will because there are 18 songs on it. The only songs I really love are Thrown Down, Say You Will, Peacekeeper, Goodbye Baby, and What's the World Coming To. The rest I either tolerate or dislike. I really wish Stevie and Lindsey sang more on each other's songs, a complaint I have about the Buck/Vie album as well.

I saw them in Columbus when they toured for this album, and I was surprised and thrilled they sang so many songs from Say You Will, but from what I understand, they pretty quickly replaced some of the new songs with standards either due to poor audience reaction or the lackluster sales of the album.

I'm glad you like the album, but for me it was a disappointment.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

One of my least favorite FM albums. Like lennonfan said, it's not got a happy vibe to it.

I absolutely LOVE this new Fleetwood Mac album, especially compared to SYW.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

John and Mick are SUBLIME on Say You Will. Sublime. Love the album and yes, it has stood the test of time.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like "Say you will"...and prefer it..
Yes it's a couple of songs too long.
But it does have some stuff you can get your teeth into.
It also took sometime to get to like, it so it's a slow burner.
........for me......
Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a masterpiece; the best work anybody involved in Fleetwood Mac has done since Tusk. It is a worthy send-off.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.