Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
doesn't matter.....that's the goal of merchandising... whatever the reason they bought tickets, once they're there, and she's talking about the songs on the album and she's PLAYING the songs on the album, you have a captive audience so to speak, and if they LIKED the songs off the album that they heard her perform, they are more likely to BUY the album right then and there when they are still in the glow of the moment (and as a souvenir of sorts) than once they get all the way home, days later, have to make it a point to remember to either go buy a CD or go on iTunes or wherever and download it. By then people think, Do I REALLY need it??

It's like why they have candy and gossip rags and such at the checkout in stores.... it's called impulse buying. It would mean more ka-ching in her coffers.

Now if as someone says, sales at shows (i.e. through non retailers) don't count towards Billboard rankings, and if in fact this is why Stevie and her people didn't have them for sale at shows, that would seriously damage my opinion of her/them.... because that would say they aren't about getting actual music out to actual fans (you know, all that blah blah in interviews about how "the real reason I write songs is to make people feel better, to bring some joy to them for 3 minutes of their day") but all about the image-polishing prestige of Billboard rankings. (not that I think those don't count but to piss on fans who keep you in private jets and all like that is crap)
First of all, I'm pretty sure they did indeed have the album displayed for sale at the shows.

So anyways, the thing is, as someone already mentioned, the tour did nothing to give the album any late boost or spike in sales. As far as I can tell, it didn't re-enter the charts or have any notable sale increase at all. So even with her performing some of those new songs and talking about them, people still didn't go and buy the album.

I very honestly believe that the majority of people who go to Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac or any 'classic' artist concerts go to see a greatest hits show.