Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What albums are the very best of Fleetwood Mac

you may or may not agree with a lot of this - eg i wouldn't put White album as high but i like Say You Will well deserved place high up - but seeing lists like this makes me wish all over again that Buckingham Mcvie was released under Fleetwood Mac moniker as i'd be extremely curious where it would rate in the articles like this one.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...T0RGwLdeWQkfDc

How to buy the very best of Fleetwood Mac
By Paul Elliott (Classic Rock) 10 days ago Classic Rock

Their ‘you couldn’t make it up’ story is a mini-soap opera, with a soundtrack that includes some of rock's very best moments – here we unpack the Mac's most essential albums

Fleetwood Mac
(Image: © Getty Images)

Few rock’n’roll stories are as downright weird as the strange tale of Fleetwood Mac: a 50-plus-year saga involving drug-induced madness, bitter in-fighting, a ‘fake’ band that stole their name, a bizarre on-tour disappearance, two broken marriages, at least one ruinous coke habit and the kind of bed-hopping normally seen in an old-fashioned West End farce. Oh, and also involving some of the best rock music of the 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond.

Fleetwood Mac formed in London in 1967 at the height of the British blues-rock explosion. The band was named after drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie – partly as a ploy to persuade the latter to join – but the real star of the original band was guitarist/vocalist Peter Green. Green was so good that he’d been picked to replace Eric Clapton in John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers (where he was later joined, albeit briefly, by Fleetwood and McVie), and his innovative style would inspire future generations of rock guitarists, from Tony Iommi and Gary Moore to Noel Gallagher.

Green quit the band in May 1970, his mental health damaged by drug use. A second guitarist, Jeremy Spencer, also afflicted by drug-related trauma, vanished 10 months later in the middle of a US tour, after saying he was popping out to get a magazine. He later resurfaced as a member of American religious cult The Children Of God. And a third guitarist, Danny Kirwan, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital after being fired in 1972. A fourth, Bob Weston, was also fired after he had an affair with Fleetwood’s wife.

In the early 70s, Fleetwood Mac were in disarray. But in 1975 everything changed. Having relocated to Los Angeles, Fleetwood, McVie and his wife Christine (née Perfect, a singer and keyboard player who’d joined the band in 1970) brought in a new Californian guitarist, Lindsey Buckingham, plus his girlfriend, singer Stevie Nicks. Within two years, Fleetwood Mac were one of the biggest groups in the world, their new sound (far removed from the blues rock of old) defined by 1977’s blockbuster Rumours, the archetypal Californian soft-rock album.

Over 50 years and more than 100 million album sales later, Fleetwood Mac are still going strong – sort of. While Buckingham departed the band for the second time in 2018, under a suitably dramatic cloud of cross-words and lawsuits, the remaining members are enjoying a lengthy tour which isn't due to wrap up until late 2019. After 17 studio albums and 15 different line-ups – in which, aptly enough, Fleetwood and McVie have been the only constants – it’s likely that the strange tale of Fleetwood Mac is still to be continued.

Rumours (Warner Brothers, 1977)

On the simplest level, Rumours is a set of brilliant songs, beautifully played. That alone has made it the eighth-biggest-selling album of all time.

On a deeper level, these bitter-sweet, autobiographical songs spoke of the complex emotional turmoil at the heart of this uniquely dysfunctional band. John and Christine McVie’s marriage was falling apart; Lindsey Buckingham had broken up with Stevie Nicks. Nicks’s Gold Dust Woman documented the madness of cocaine addiction. She later confessed: “I curse the day I ever took cocaine.” But it was at their most ****ed-up, radiating paranoia and mutual enmity, that Fleetwood Mac created their iconic masterpiece. VIEW DEAL

The Best Of Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac (Columbia, 2002)

In the four years that Peter Green led Fleetwood Mac, they recorded just three original studio albums, plus a handful of non-album singles. The key tracks from this period have been collected on other compilations, but this 2002 Best Of is the definitive article.

Green’s influence was so far-reaching that his songs were covered by radically different groups: Santana had a hit with Black Magic Woman; Judas Priest reworked The Green Manalishi... The latter proved to be Green’s last for Fleetwood Mac. His most famous was of course Albatross, the soft-focus instrumental that remains the group’s only UK No.1. VIEW DEAL

Fleetwood Mac (Warner Brothers, 1975)

The eponymous title of Fleetwood Mac’s first album with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks was a statement in itself. This was a new beginning, a band redefined.

Fleetwood Mac got lucky with Buckingham and Nicks. As the latter admitted: “All they wanted was a guitarist. They did not need another woman in the band.” But Buckingham had insisted that he and Stevie were a package deal. It was one of her songs, the hit single Rhiannon that best defined Fleetwood Mac’s new pop rock style. Nicks’s other songs, Crystal and Landslide, were equally beautiful. And Buckingham’s stunning blues, I’m So Afraid, proved he could measure up to Peter Green. VIEW DEAL

Tusk (Warner Brothers, 1979)

Some albums are so good, so big, that the follow-up can only be a disappointment. As Lindsey Buckingham says of Tusk: “We’d made this record that was so far to the left of Rumours, and when it didn’t sell 16 million copies, that was hard.”

Tusk sold a respectable two million, but the experimental nature of this double album (typified by the eccentric title track, released as the first single!) baffled many who were expecting Rumours Vol.2. In fact, Tusk is far better than its reputation. Buckingham’s fascination with new wave inspired some brilliant left-field songs – Not That Funny, That’s Enough For Me – while Nicks’s Sara and Beautiful Child are among her very best. VIEW DEAL

Say You Will (Reprise, 2003)

What began as a Lindsey Buckingham solo album, with Mick Fleetwood helping out, eventually developed into a full-blown Fleetwood Mac comeback featuring four-fifths of the classic Rumours line-up. Only Christine McVie was missing, having quit after 1997’s live reunion album The Dance. But it really didn’t matter, as the Mac delivered their best album since Tusk.

Buckingham was the chief architect and virtuoso star of the Say You Will album, his explosive lead guitar on Murrow Turning Over In His Grave matched by the dazzling acoustic picking on Say Goodbye. Nicks contributed some fine songs too, notably Destiny Rules and Thrown Down. VIEW DEAL

Then Play On (Reprise, 1969)

The last Mac album recorded with Peter Green, Then Play On is one of the seminal late-60s rock records. Since its original release, the tracklisting has been altered four times. And although the current CD version omits three songs by late guitarist Danny Kirwan, it’s still the best original album from the Green-era Mac.

Two songs are also included on The Best Of Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac: the swaggering Rattlesnake Shake, and Oh Well, Green’s magnum opus in two parts; proto-metal riffing giving way to Zen-like calm. And there are many more great tracks here, including two blistering jams, Searching For Madge and Fighting For Madge, plus Kirwan’s My Dream, which prefigured the soft rock of Rumours. VIEW DEAL

Tango In The Night (Warner Brothers, 1987)

Fleetwood Mac’s best and biggest-selling album of the 80s followed a five-year break during which Buckingham, Nicks and Christine McVie all released solo records. Tango In The Night proved they were better off together – artistically and financially, if not emotionally.

The album was their most popular since Rumours. In the UK it topped the chart and produced three Top 10 singles, including Big Love and Little Lies. The Mac were back.

But Buckingham didn’t stick around to enjoy it, quitting the band after a blazing row with Nicks. Ten years passed before they – and Fleetwood Mac – were publicly reconciled. VIEW DEAL

Mirage (Warner Brothers, 1982)

It topped the US chart and produced three hit singles, but Mirage remains one of Fleetwood Mac’s most overlooked albums. And in truth it is a little patchy.

Prior to Mirage, both Buckingham and Nicks had released solo albums in 1981 – the latter’s Bella Donna was a US No.1, aided by the radio anthems Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around and Edge Of Seventeen – but they didn’t keep all their best songs to themselves: Gypsy was classic Nicks, and Can’t Go Back was another of Buckingham’s deft new-wave pop tunes. In addition, Christine McVie’s Hold Me, the album’s biggest hit, proved that Fleetwood Mac weren’t just the Buckingham/Nicks show. VIEW DEAL

Mystery To Me (Reprise, 1973)

After Peter Green’s departure, Fleetwood Mac lacked clear direction and drifted into relative obscurity. The six studio albums they released between 1970 and 1974 are largely forgotten. Only one, Kiln House, charted in the UK, and none broke into the US Top 30.

Mystery To Me is the best of them. It’s also the oddest and most eclectic album of the band’s entire career, mixing mellow rock with funk, reggae and even disco. American guitarist Bob Welch was at the heart of it all, writing seven of the 12 tracks, including The City, a badass white funk number worthy of Little Feat, and Hypnotized, the best Fleetwood Mac song that hardly anyone has ever heard.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know Then Play On gets the biggest share of love from the pre-Welch era (followed perhaps by Dog and Dustbin). But my favorite from that time is English Rose, a mongrel album that just keeps dumping great material on you, even though it doesn't all (and isn't meant to) hang together sonically. Maybe that's its power: it's a shimmery kaleidoscope of slow blues, burning blues, pumping blues, and Moody Blues (Kirwan's Something Inside of Me) that fills your ears with variety and passion. It feels like the soundtrack to a gritty Sixties documentary.

I'd also have to dump my favorite Welch-era album, Penguin, on my top list. Most everyone says they love all of Mystery to Me; well, I love all of Penguin, especially Did You Ever Love Me, which, had it been recorded for the 1975 album, would have been an even bigger hit than Say You Love Me in Fleetwood Mac's catalog.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Each album is different and I like them for different reasons. Impossible for me to rank them as favorites. So I use a different measuring stick: POTENTIAL
What albums were good but had the potential to be so much better.

Tango - it had the 80s synth pop but lack so much depth. Stevie's songs are a miss. Chris brought her A game but too many songs that are just straight up Lindsey solo songs. A group effort would have been so good. I know Lindsey had a horrible hand in creating the album so I don't fault him for that. Just pointing out this average album IMHO missed a golden opportunity. Very little of the album sounds like Fleetwood Mac IMHO.

Say You Will - I'm glad to see this album on the list. I get and hear the hard work Buckingham put into this album. Classics like Running through the Garden and Smile at You finally made an album. Stevie's voice is so much better and not as flat as TISRL. Each brought good songs but the album really needed Christine. If you could remove 5 songs and add 5 Christine songs and add her to the mix, this album would have been incredible.

Mirage - I LOVE Mirage. Its pure pop greatness before the synth pop of drum machines took over the 80s. Its very classic Mac but with no risks. While Tusk was all risk, this album suffered from no risk. The songs are very solid but a few dares in rock could have made this album so much better.

Tusk - While one of my favorite albums, the project could have been enhanced more as a group effort. While I get and admire most of Buckingham's creative risk, a little more traditional Mac sound and effort would have went a long way.

Live album should be on this list. It made the point that live Mac is not the same animal as studio Mac. The album showpieces some of their best work live. However, I would have scrapped the 3 "new" songs for The Chain and Sisters live. How can you have a live Mac album without the Chain?

I would not change a thing to the White album, Rumours or Mystery to me. Those albums are near perfect and cant imagine any potential to make them better. I say this after heard them a million times.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just don't care for Say You Will, unfortunately. I love 4 songs out of 18, which is about the lowest ratio I've ever had for a FM album. My personal list:

Fleetwood Mac
Behind the Mask
Tusk
Rumours (this used to be #1 for me, but I've listened to it too much, so that's my fault)

I love certain songs on Tango and Mirage, but overall find them pretty weak. I really can't rank their other albums, as I was never a fan of the pre-Rumours or Time lineup.

I would happily rank Buck/Vie either right before or immediately after Rumours.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I know Then Play On gets the biggest share of love from the pre-Welch era (followed perhaps by Dog and Dustbin). But my favorite from that time is English Rose, a mongrel album that just keeps dumping great material on you, even though it doesn't all (and isn't meant to) hang together sonically. Maybe that's its power: it's a shimmery kaleidoscope of slow blues, burning blues, pumping blues, and Moody Blues (Kirwan's Something Inside of Me) that fills your ears with variety and passion. It feels like the soundtrack to a gritty Sixties documentary.

I'd also have to dump my favorite Welch-era album, Penguin, on my top list. Most everyone says they love all of Mystery to Me; well, I love all of Penguin, especially Did You Ever Love Me, which, had it been recorded for the 1975 album, would have been an even bigger hit than Say You Love Me in Fleetwood Mac's catalog.
I LOVE English Rose. The four Kirwan tunes, Albatross, Black Magic Woman, and the best Green from Mr. Wonderful--this is a potent compilation for American consumption. Even the four Spencer tunes (all but one pretty much identical) aren't too hard to bear given the variety of the other numbers. This album, along with the Greatest Hits one from 1971 (all the Green hits, some Spencer, and Kirwan's Dragonfly) are ideal starting points for anyone wanting to know about the first era of the band.

I too prefer Penguin over MTM. The recording feels airier, spacier, like Future Games. "Night Watch" is mysterious and cool, and all of Christine's songs here land very well. It's all over the place in terms of styles, but I like that. I could even stomach the Walker songs if there were one more song each by Welch and McVie. One detraction--nothing Welch does on it compares to "Miles Away," imo.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a very best of album. Just buy that