The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know that I'd say its his worst but after the first initial listens, I haven't found myself going back to it all that much, aside from a few songs ("Rock Away Blind," "The Way Love Goes," "In Our Own Time"). It kind of brought to light a few frustrations that I have with Lindsey in general and part of that is my own taste evolving over the past few years. I don't have as much interest in the perfection that he strives for, and I think this album has more of the aspects that I'm not as taken by anymore. Gift of Screws was like a breath of fresh air after Under the Skin, and both were very different from the previous three in a lot of ways. I'm not the type of person that requires a distinct change with each album from an artist or a full evolution or anything like that but something about SWS makes it feel a lot less interesting than his other work.

Last edited by bucklind17; 12-03-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
I must be the only one who loves "Go Insane" as one of my favorites! perhaps it now holds meaning of a special, certain time in my life...BUT wehn I heard it then, i was obsessed with it. No, it wasn't 1984, it was 1999, LOL, but I just loved it.
Me too! (Both loving Go Insane and it being roughly 1999! ) I have the Go Insane poster on my bedroom wall; I made sure to put it right across from the bed.

And I agree with some of the previous posters that it's not so much the songs on SWS that are disappointing (well, most of them aren't), but the production, mixing, and five million compressions and overdubs. IOOT, RAB, TTWLG, Illumination are all great songs. Some of the rest do feel a little like "more of the same" compared to other albums.

Last edited by bangdrum; 12-03-2011 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: some not all
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Love it! And I too have a Go Insane poster in my room Right next to my "OOTC" headshot that he signed last month!! Ahhhhh
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have a preprinted (or possibly signed in person for somebody else) OOTC headshot - the 12" thing, right? I think my mom's colleague (who is a Stevie nut) got it for me, but I don't remember for sure. I have more posters than wall space! On the wall are GI, The Dance poster, and the 1984 Chris poster. In storage are another Dance poster, Tango, Tusk double-sided, Live long poster, SYW vinyl poster, and a perfect condition Law and Order poster.

My signed SWS CD sits on my desk in a Bath & Body Works box because it's see-through but still protects it, and I can't figure out what else to do with it...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Drooling! LOL where is the emoticon for that!! That "Tusk" double sided poster..my friend had that one, oh man was that nice. Yeah my headshot thingie from OOTC is double sided 12"x12" which i think is referred to as a "poster flat." Never would've happend if he didn't do the interview/signing thing in NYC! Anyway, to bring this back full circle, I am so happy someone else enjoys Go Insane as much as me. I would crap my pants if at one of his shows he broke out with "Loving Cup" or something crazy!!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
And I agree with previous posters that it's not so much the songs on SWS that are disappointing (well, most of them), but the production, mixing, and five million compressions and overdubs. IOOT, RAB, TTWLG, Illumination are all great songs. Some of the rest do feel a little like "more of the same" compared to other albums.
But I didn't critique anything about he quality of the songs OR the production. Please don't lump me into that group. I am DAMN HAPPY with the album and find it to be one of his best and one of my faves of the year, quite frankly.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
But I didn't critique anything about he quality of the songs OR the production. Please don't lump me into that group. I am DAMN HAPPY with the album and find it to be one of his best and one of my faves of the year, quite frankly.
I wasn't lumping. Should I change it to "some previous posters?"

I never said it was a BAD album, anyway. Just not as good as his others.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
I wasn't lumping. Should I change it to "some previous posters?"

I never said it was a BAD album, anyway. Just not as good as his others.
My tongue was firmly in cheek and I can't begrudge you your opinion. Even if I don't fully agree. But, you know, I wanted to point that out so that it doesn't go down on Ledge record that everyone pretty much thought the above. That's all.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Seeds We Sow !!!!

Nico...I agree...we all do on this end!
Different is so wonderful and the guitar work
is rockin' good! Lindsey is a great musician !!!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
I must be the only one who loves "Go Insane" as one of my favorites! perhaps it now holds meaning of a special, certain time in my life...BUT wehn I heard it then, i was obsessed with it. No, it wasn't 1984, it was 1999, LOL, but I just loved it.

"Out of the Cradle" is probably my favorite now though. The whole CD just flows together for me. I wish I had seen him on that tour. UGH!
You are not the only one! I absolutely love Go Insane. It's my favorite!!

I also wish a million times over that I could have seen him during the OOTC tour! I had just graduated from high school and had absolutely no money to travel to see him!!

I have to say that I don't completely understand the dislike so many fans have of UTS. I like it better than SWS or GOS.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After seeing him play some of the SWS tracks live, I have a new appreciation for the album (which, as some will remember, I trashed mercilessly upon it's release). Granted, it's basically "more of the same"...but, there are a few songs on the album that stand up to anything else he's done. But, what I find to be interesting is that I thought the iTunes bonus tracks were better than quite a bit of the songs that made the album's final track listing. (I especially prefer the "electric" Seeds We Sow over the album's track)

Now, I wouldn't call SWS his WORST album, but it's far from his BEST. (For me, he set the bar so high with Out Of The Cradle, he'll never reach it again)
Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chili, I agree with you about SWS electric!! I love that infectious track and *sometimes* I wish he would have ended the night with that one instead of the acoustic.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
After seeing him play some of the SWS tracks live, I have a new appreciation for the album (which, as some will remember, I trashed mercilessly upon it's release). Granted, it's basically "more of the same"...but, there are a few songs on the album that stand up to anything else he's done. But, what I find to be interesting is that I thought the iTunes bonus tracks were better than quite a bit of the songs that made the album's final track listing. (I especially prefer the "electric" Seeds We Sow over the album's track)

Now, I wouldn't call SWS his WORST album, but it's far from his BEST. (For me, he set the bar so high with Out Of The Cradle, he'll never reach it again)
I pretty much agree with ya... minus the "electric" bonus tracks being better than the album ones.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I pretty much agree with ya... minus the "electric" bonus tracks being better than the album ones.
"Sleepin' Around The Corner" sounds like it was a leftover from the official Gift Of Screws album.

Now...we're only:

Gotta Get Away
Deep Dense
My Little Demon
Given Thing
Blue Turns To Grey
&
The Singer Not The Song

away from all those '96-98 tracks "officially" released.

Although, I'm really disappointed at the offiical release of "She Smiled Sweetly"...I think the leaked GOS version is far superior to the SWS version.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Although, I'm really disappointed at the offiical release of "She Smiled Sweetly"...I think the leaked GOS version is far superior to the SWS version.
Totally agree.