User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There's only one guitarist -- Lindsey -- & I don't think he is covering all the guitar work we're hearing.
Sure he could...thanks to a "loop sampling" effect unit (adding some delay, too). Boss RC20XL Loop Station (from Musician's Friend.com) After the first few bars, that part comes around again, and he's doubling what he played the first time through, then it comes around again, and he's playing over the first two parts, until it eventually gets to sounding like four or five guitars playing at once (or three 12-string guitars).

There are also a few types of vocal doublers/harmonizers (here's one for example) TC Electronics Voice Doubler (from Musician's Friend.com)

What I'd like to hear from Lindsey is just his guitar and his voice, undoctored by effects (except for some ever so slight delay/reverb for his voice)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
What I'd like to hear from Lindsey is just his guitar and his voice, undoctored by effects (except for some ever so slight delay/reverb for his voice)

Well, Chili, listen to Shut Us Down, NGBA, Trouble, Go Insane from his last tour.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's cool stuff. How likely is it that he'd be using one of those. To be honest I'd just assumed it was whatever effect/delay he was using that gave that sort of sound.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Sure he could...thanks to a "loop sampling" effect unit (adding some delay, too). Boss RC20XL Loop Station (from Musician's Friend.com) After the first few bars, that part comes around again, and he's doubling what he played the first time through, then it comes around again, and he's playing over the first two parts, until it eventually gets to sounding like four or five guitars playing at once (or three 12-string guitars).

There are also a few types of vocal doublers/harmonizers (here's one for example) TC Electronics Voice Doubler (from Musician's Friend.com)

Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. These performances nowadays are more Memorex than live.

I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album).
Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Well that's exactly what I'm talking about. These performances nowadays are more Memorex than live.

I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album).
o_O

in my world, it's still considered "live" because he actually played it "live"... the machine is just looping that previously played live part while he plays another part live...

do you guys want he should have another army of guitarists? or perhaps it'd be more "authentic" if the song was left practically empty because using available technology threatens the sanctity of live music? hmm.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are recording artists who have used recording technology such as what Lindsey likely uses for songs like "Red Rover" to build their entire career. When used correctly and well, it's essentially like a whole other instrument. I've seen some pretty complicated processes and it can be very interesting and exciting, and in some situations, the best way to re-create the sound of a song that is pretty complicated musically.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
in my world, it's still considered "live" because he actually played it "live"... the machine is just looping that previously played live part while he plays another part live...
I don't know what sort of hardware & software they're using onstage, but if it's some sort of looping/sampling playback technology & it requires that an initial signal be sent/played, then let's call the whole thing partly live & partly Memorex. Thomas Dolby does the same thing when he performs his great love song "I Love You Goodbye." Fleetwood Mac's been using prefab triggered sources at least as far back as the Tusk tour, when Jeff Sova "played" both the Dodger Stadium crowd sounds & a modification of the Bartner brass arrangement on a loop triggered by an Oberheim on the song "Tusk" (& did much the same thing on the Mirage tour). Certainly each succeeding Fleetwood Mac tour used similar technology -- probably more & more with time & advancements -- for live performances of "Seven Wonders," "Little Lies," "Everywhere," etc. Ditto for Lindsey's early '90s tour (with its elephant honk, real or simulated). So I don't mean to imply that this dialing in is new this year. I'm just curious about what all is happening.

Quote:
do you guys want he should have another army of guitarists? or perhaps it'd be more "authentic" if the song was left practically empty because using available technology threatens the sanctity of live music? hmm.
I'll repeat my words from Post #34, above:

"I guess that's why RED ROVER sounds so good (& so much like the album)."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Even though I'd only believe it when I hold it in my hands, a new Lindsey solo album, the long-rumored "rock album" he has been working on with producer Rob Cavallo, would be a real treat.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouldnt it be great if there were 11 or 12 BRAND NEW Rock Songs done from scratch. Nothing taken / copied from GOS or anything. Just new great songs which sound similar to GYOW, EOTW, TOF, COME, countdown etc etc

Just a load of catchy beats with a few good lyrics a small solo in the middle then one great complex solo at the end, that nodody else can do or tab out. Thats all it takes.

Bring it on I have definately been awaiting the release of a rock album much more than the release of Under the Skin, ever since I was told they were gonna be released "back to back".
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post

Bring it on I have definately been awaiting the release of a rock album much more than the release of Under the Skin, ever since I was told they were gonna be released "back to back".
But last year Lindsey started backing away from the idea that it would be a rock album. He started saying that it might be more acoustic once again. In fact, he noted that some people were under the impression that it would be a "rock" album, as if we just developed that impression ourselves and he had nothing to do with it! So, I no longer really expect a rock album, perhaps 3-4 harder songs, but not an album full. Still I do expect to hear Countdown, You Do or You Don't, Wrong, etc. in concert at some point -- or else I will heckle him at every single show.

Michele
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Still I do expect to hear Countdown, You Do or You Don't, Wrong, etc. in concert at some point -- or else I will heckle him at every single show.

Michele
Can I sit by you?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Can I sit by you?

We will get thrown out together!

He will never get away from the voice of the women who love him -- and OOTC. Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-21-2008 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He will never get away from the voice of the women who love him -- and OOTC. Michele
Oooohhhh, we can all sit together!! Count me in!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I agree, when he did Turn it On, I was in absolute heaven. I need to hear Twist of Fate live. That is just a classic!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
He started saying that it might be more acoustic once again.
Right now, to me it seems like it will be acoustic in the vein of Cage's 4'33. But let's keep on hoping.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up