Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: THE CHIFFON PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteWingedOne

Ask The ChiffonStepfordWives that question. They're the ones that can't take the heat and get agressive and PMS-out when you say ANYTHING in the Anti-Nicks! I say TOUGH! I love Bella Donna and Wildheart and her commercially successful work. Basically to me she's rock's greatest bull**** artist and it works for her in a weird way. I think LB slept with his guitar for a BIG REASON!
You are too witty.....but you know here's a thing I think Lindsey Buckingham is the most gifted beautiful human being to walk this earth.....but you aren't interested to know what my opinion is of LB all you can see in your own narrow minded blinkered way is OMG Stevie fan!!!!! she must be totally nuts, dress like Stevie, quote Stevie, be a total Stevie wannabe.....you see unlike you I give each member of the Mac their dues they are each very talented.......I 'm afraid all I get from you is Lindsey is the genius behind the Mac....well what about Peter Green, Mick and John, Bob Welch.....what about Christine and her role within the Mac...all truly gifted people....but all you seem to be out to do is critisize folks who love Stevie's work and who totally get her message, and force feed everyone Lindsey buckingham....not a good way put across your argument....
Old 08-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: THE CHIFFON PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally posted by highpriestess53

You are too witty
thanks. now will you please stop FOLLOWING me all over this board and clam up, you're giving me a headache!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: THE CHIFFON PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteWingedOne

thanks. now will you please stop FOLLOWING me all over this board and clam up, you're giving me a headache!
Do unto others as you wish them to do to you

Old 08-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sometimes the fans are the worst promoters of what they like.

Personally I got pretty much sick of Nicks and Buckingham as something I will listen to on any regular basis, just up from the Eagles whom I didn't care if I ever heard again from about 1982. Right now I have Then Play On playing though, since I got the CDs I have listened to Tusk once and Sara twice, the white album and Mirage about three times and Rumours I have listened to one or two tracks because I got so much of that album it was up there with Bee Gees and Abba for overkill. Not that this is Nicks or Buckinghams fault or that the music is not good but I am amazed at people who listen to the same music for twenty five years or whatever and never move on! I think Buckingham was a quirky indie type person who got on a major label and having Stevie twirling about and selling the stuff had a lot to do with that where the media is concerned. There is a lot of great innovative stuff that never got the attention, no twirling pre-raphaelite chicks they were breaking up with or whatever, like Television and Tom Verlaine who did these great experimental albums around the same time that were pretty infuential as one example.

I am still pretty much sick of Buckingham and Nicks and their boring past relationship being dissected endlessly, and I tend to skip their tracks for Christine's when I do play the FM albums from then. I have the Buckingham Nicks 1973 thing but otherwise none of their solo stuff and I don't think of them as the heart of FM at all. Too say either of these people are overlooked or slighted is ridiculous to me really, their albums are inescapably everywhere, all of them but the 1973 one anyway. I couldn't stand to listen to either for about fifteen years or more and am only thawing a little lately.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by becca
Not that this is Nicks or Buckinghams fault or that the music is not good but I am amazed at people who listen to the same music for twenty five years or whatever and never move on! I think Buckingham was a quirky indie type person who got on a major label and having Stevie twirling about and selling the stuff had a lot to do with that where the media is concerned.
You get 100 points for outspokenness. But that'll cost ya.

Here's what I think: It's hard to argue with most of what you said, and I tend to agree with your sentiment. However, if people can listen to Bach and Mozart throughout their lives, why can't we have a couple of Fleetwood Mac albums to hang on to for 20 years or more? I usually listen to Fleetwood Mac maybe once or twice a month, though Lindsey a little more. Used to be I could sing every word on every FM album I owned. But I've never committed to memory most of the newer stuff.

My main point of contention with you is saying "never move on!" for instance, have you heard Marah or the Strokes or the White Stripes? Perhaps you've listened to Ryan Adams, Whiskeytown or Mulehead. Or maybe you like North Mississippi All Stars, A3 and Kula Shaker? These are all newer artists (actually Kula Shaker has already disbanded) but they are people I listen to.

Ironically, while you slam people for listening to music that is 20 years old or more, you mention an album that is close to 30. Go figure!
Old 08-19-2002, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Strokes and White Stripes are great. The Strokes are kind of like Television reborn for me. I like Kula Shaker and some of the others you mention too, don't know of a couple at all. I have more Stereolab CDs than FM by a couple but have been getting all the FM on CD lately. I had some one vinyl and one was around all my life almost and I just got the CD, Then Play On. My point is more about people who seem like a record stuck in a groove for x number of years in that all they go for is either the same stuff played over and over (could be Beatles or Elvis, could be FM-Eagles-Aerosmith), and they tend to put down a lot of other and newer music as not important or good. I find the most fanatic people are like this, like the people who watch the same movies umpteen times and know all the dialogue, it scares me. I think a lot of people on this site are bound to be really attached to a certain FM line-up and the whole Rumours drama whatever it is. I am no less a FM fan, just not a fanatic. Part of it is going to be nostalgia I guess though, connecting people to past things in their own lives, like the white album and Mirage do for me, if I listened to them continuously for 20-25 years I think I would lose being able to recall those personal things from when those albums were the new thing. I have had a lot of new things since. Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks or any one artist probably will never be worth my intense attention and if they never go away how can I begin to miss them?
Old 08-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The chiffon thing in terms of being cruel...

Well, yes, it is insulting. I used to sing along with the Stevie Nicks songs arranged by Buckingham and related to the lyrics. I moved on though but even back in the day I didn't try to absorb her personality or image as my own. I guess I can't say I grew along with her I grew out of her. I couldn't stand to think of putting on Belladonna or Rumours because I got sick of it. I got sick of Buckingham's quirky jerky emotional tunes too but once I thought he was all that and a jar of dills. I think though a lot of people can listen to and enjoy the music without the image and personality stuff being the main interest.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:44 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by becca
I am still pretty much sick of Buckingham and Nicks and their boring past relationship being dissected endlessly
I dissected frogs in bio class that had more interesting guts than those 2. how many times do we need to hear about the "package deal" and all that crap? They went out, they worked together and then they broke up. people act like they're major people in history or something and it changed world events!
Old 08-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: THE CHIFFON PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally posted by highpriestess53

Do unto others as you wish them to do to you

I;m not old enough to do anybody. but if I was, and it involved you, I would have to go get rabies shots first. and then maybe again when we were done just for safe measure. Now leave me alone!!
Old 08-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well if your old enough to talk the way you do i am sure you don't hold much else sacred,so enough with the virginal act..I respect your opinions on things,and i even think SOME of your comments are humorous,but statements are taken more seriously when stated in a mature manner.

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 08-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Ledgie

Carne,
As the post states, it's just my opinion. I'm not presuming
anything.

witchywoman

Smile! It makes people wonder
what you're up to.

Whatever, that's Rock & Roll!
Old 08-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry This thread is locked

If you don't know why, here it is:

The tone of the thread starter was confrontational, however there were some interesting opinions and posts and I thought we might be able to continue the discussion in a civil manner.

But since a few people are still making rude and nasty comments, despite several warnings about sticking to the rules, it's now closed.

Barbara