Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

Smile on Dearest

At the age of nine, I had a 2 LP MCA collection of Buddy Holly songs. I was hooked for life. I now have a 2CD collection of many of the great songs, but I'm a little miffed that it doesn't have the GREAT song "Dearest" that's featured on the "Juno" soundtrack. It's only available as an import.

BTW, I'm still waiting for your Grateful Dead response to my post on another thread .[/QUOTE]

Yes, that song is one of my favourites of his, if not THE fave for me, as simple as it is. I bought it as a single while in art college in 1964 when it was titled 'Umm Yeah" and I wore it out. It had overdubs by Jimmy Gilmer's Fireballs, but nothing beats the acoustic version heard in 'Juno'. Beautiful; as are a lot of those he recorded in his NY apt just before he passed on.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
What? What does THAT supposed to mean!
It's just that sometimes your "facts" err opinions I don't agree with. However, I agree with your assessment of Buddy Holly.

Quote:
It could be argued Bill Haley's band was the first true group, and Elvis the first true rocker (with Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry right on their heels), but I would say Buddy Holly was the foremost to capture the purest form of what we still readily identify today as "rock n roll". All of the above, along with Carl Perkins, had a distinct hand in the making of the genre, let's make no bones about that. There was also Little Richard parenthetically, but he was more R&B based. But from my vantage point, Holly was the purest.
I think of Bill Haley's Comets as a rock-abilly band with horns. The Crickets were a drummer, a bass player, and a guitarist, IE a rock band. Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry along with Holly maybe my favorite artist(s) from this era so you won't get any arguments from me.

Quote:
Great song. It's true, once you sample a good BH collection, you'll immediately know where so much of what we take for granted and groove to began, in better depth than ANY of the above mentioned artists. Call him the truest of the true! To think, all of his stuff was written and recorded within roughly a 3 year period! DAYUM
His influence on the British bands of the 60's and beyond is hard to quantify. Of course we all know of someone who was at his creative peak for three years until he left. At least in his case, he's still alive.

Quote:
Good to see you're so into Holly slipkid, and that you started so young. There's hope for you yet!

Alright, alright. I'll have to go revisit that thread. Now where is it?
To quote Peter Gabriel, "I know what I like, and I like what I know".

The thread is under "The End of the Game" in the Peter Green section.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Yes, that song is one of my favourites of his, if not THE fave for me, as simple as it is. I bought it as a single while in art college in 1964 when it was titled 'Umm Yeah" and I wore it out. It had overdubs by Jimmy Gilmer's Fireballs, but nothing beats the acoustic version heard in 'Juno'. Beautiful; as are a lot of those he recorded in his NY apt just before he passed on.
I've read on another forum that they are releasing the "Apartment Tapes" as part of a 3 CD set to mark the 50th Anniversary of Holly's death. I don't know if this is true or not, but I've also read that Holly's songs will become public domain 2/3/09? That may explain the new reissues. The current release date is 2/10/09 as it's been pushed back several times.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
It's just that sometimes your "facts" err opinions I don't agree with. However, I agree with your assessment of Buddy Holly.
When are you going to learn you can't argue with the facts! LOL

I think of Bill Haley's Comets as a rock-abilly band with horns. The Crickets were a drummer, a bass player, and a guitarist, IE a rock band. Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry along with Holly maybe my favorite artist(s) from this era so you won't get any arguments from me.

It's hard to deny Bill Haley his place with that great Rock Around The Clock anthem of his. May not have been technically the first R&R tune circa 1954 (after all, he did do Crazy Man, Crazy a year earlier), but that little ditty set so many wheels a-turning. IIRC, it was recorded at the Pythian Temple studios in NYC, where Buddy would later record himself. [also hard to believe it's barely over 2 minutes long - amazing].

And yes, all the acts above were golden. You hear a spattering of each on Kiln House, with the sound and style appropriately modernized. That is still sounds fresh today is a testament to how well the guys put their heads together and made the most of an otherwise unfortunate hand. I often wish we had a KH-2, and I guess we sort of do with the Madison Blues compilation release (with emphasis on sort of ).

His influence on the British bands of the 60's and beyond is hard to quantify. Of course we all know of someone who was at his creative peak for three years until he left. At least in his case, he's still alive.

Good parallel. Too bad the psychedelic era led so many down the road of heavy drug use, often stemming from more innocent experimentation. It was all the rage back then! If it hadn't been for that key element, things may have spun a different way for the Mac. In fact, it would have almost certainly.

To quote Peter Gabriel, "I know what I like, and I like what I know".

Not bad from PG, but try this instead: What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular. *Truth*

The thread is under "The End of the Game" in the Peter Green section.

Ah yes, THAT thread! Not a bad one at all if I may say so. I must find my way there yet again.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
With guitar work from ace George Tomsco, the Fireballs being guided by Buddy's longtime producer, Norman Petty. A little taste of Tex-Mex from that famed Clovis, NM studio.

And yes, the Apartment Demos show where things were going, ever upward. Buddy was in fact just peaking!

Good to see the man who was so instrumental in the making of Kiln House stopping by to share a few thoughts. Hope our comments have done it justice! They've been overwhelmingly positive, reflective of the production itself. You and Danny worked like a pair of seasoned aces leading that project, and really pulled it off well.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Ledgie

Default Turning back the clock....

Quote:
At the age of nine, I had a 2 LP MCA collection of Buddy Holly songs. I was hooked for life. I now have a 2CD collection of many of the great songs, but I'm a little miffed that it doesn't have the GREAT song "Dearest" that's featured on the "Juno" soundtrack. It's only available as an import.

This started me looking back at my Buddy Holly stuff... I know the track, but dementia seems to get in the way...

Where was I?

Oh yes; I found a 45 that I had bought back in 1963, What To Do, and the flip side is Umm Oh Yeah. Coral Q 72469... now I have to get the 'old record deck' and an amp and speakers set up because I cant sleep until I have listened to it again..... Thanks for triggering the memory, Buddy Holly started the whole musical journey for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've changed my mind about This is the Rock - it's starting to grow on me!

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
I've changed my mind about This is the Rock - it's starting to grow on me!
Next up! Buddy's Song and Blood On The Floor. The former is a picture perfect Holly tribute (borderline cover really), the latter a classic parody/satire in song done only as Jeremy could do it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another review from David Bowling of Blogcritics.org. He's going down the FM catalog.
http://blogcritics.org/music/article...ac-kiln-house/

10/24/2010

Music Review: Fleetwood Mac - Kiln HouseBy DAVID BOWLING
BLOGCRITICS.ORG

There was such animosity between Fleetwood Mac band members Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer that they refused to even play together in the recording studio. 1969’s Then Play On found Spencer virtually absent from the recording process. Danny Kirwan was brought in as a third guitarist and he and Green formed a formidable duo. 1970 found Green missing and Spencer back on board. Bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood remained in place. Christine Perfect McVie was back as an unaccredited vocalist who also provided the album’s cover art. She would become an official member of the group shortly after its completion.

Kiln House is the beginning of the transition for Fleetwood Mac. Green was an accomplished blues purist while Kirwan had some rock leanings. Spencer was unique and basically did what he wanted, which was very apparent on this release. I have always found it interesting that the further they moved from the blues during this period of their existence, the less popular they became in their home country while increasingly becoming more popular in The United States. Kiln House was their lowest charting album to date in The U.K. (39) and their highest in The USA (69).

Kirwan and Spencer were both excellent guitarists but were just different and their contributions show these differences very clearly.

Spencer’s work had a fifties rock feel. “This Is A Rock” is basically a rockabilly piece. “Hi Ho Silver” is tongue in cheek. Spencer wrote the track but credited it to Fats Waller and Ed Kirkeby. “Buddy’s Song” is likewise credited to Buddy Holly’s mother. It was a creative and amusing take on “Peggy Sue Got Married” with new lyrics which included a number of Buddy Holly song titles. “One Together” is about the most normal of the Spencer creations.

Kirwan’s songs shared the limelight with Spencer’s. “Jewel Eyed Lady” features some excellent guitar playing. “Earl Gray” is an instrumental that shows his skills well. “Tell Me All The Things You Do” is another fine performance by Kirwan.

The best track, “Station Man,” was written by Kirwan, Spencer, and McVie and is a hard driving rock song. One can only wish that this lineup could have produced more material like this.

Kiln House is a unique release in the vast Fleetwood Mac catalogue as it was their first move toward a mainstream sound. If you could never make up your mind whether you liked the blues or pop/rock Fleetwood Mac, give this album a try as it contains elements of both.