The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will Buckingham Mcvie outsell 24KG in week 1? (33,000 copies)
Yes 32 45.07%
No 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Will Buckingham Mcvie outsell 24KG?

Just an interesting question. How many of you think that the Buckingham Mcvie album will sell more than Stevie's 24KG in week 1 in the US?

I know it seems a tedious question but I think it's an interesting one. It'll show how many die hard Mac fans there are, how many fans don't care very much for Stevie's input (or vice versa), and if Stevie's solo career is bigger than the other two main people in FM put together.

Stevie's 24KG came out in October 2014 but frankly the music business and album sales have not changed since then. It sold 33,000 copies in one week with hardly any promotion. Can Buckingham Mcvie beat that? Well I don't know. I think it'll be close but I think Stevie might just edge it.

Thoughts? Btw, this is pure speculation and I for one am so excited for the new album.

Last edited by James89; 04-11-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Just an interesting question. How many of you think that the Buckingham Mcvie album will sell more than Stevie's 24KG in week 1 in the US?

I know it seems a tedious question but I think it's an interesting one. It'll show how many die hard Mac fans there are, how many fans don't care very much for Stevie's input (or vice versa), and if Stevie's solo career is bigger than the other two main people in FM put together.

Stevie's 24KG came out in October 2014 but frankly the music business and album sales have not changed since then. It sold 33,000 copies in one week with hardly any promotion. Can Buckingham Mcvie beat that? Well I don't know. I think it'll be close but I think Stevie might just edge it.

Thoughts? Btw, this is pure speculation and I for one am so excited for the new album.
LB/CM is a new entity, and neither were especially viable as solo artists. SN is established as a solo artist. If they had released it as FM, then the poll would be a little more valid.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think not, but I also think that if the album has good songs, the Buckingham McVie album will eventually sell more than 24KG worldwide.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted yes, just because I want them to succeed as a duo, after their need to create and share with their fans their hard work.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, it probably wont outsell 24kG, but I don't care.
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie will probably struggle to break the top 20, but I don't care.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
No, it probably wont outsell 24kG, but I don't care.
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie will probably struggle to break the top 20, but I don't care.
Exactly. They're not doing it for the money. I'm hoping the music is really good. That's what I want.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could care less how many copies it sells. Sales are not a barometer for the success of this record. I only care about the quality of the music, that is how I and all fans should be assessing this record.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a major factor at play here as to which album will sell better. First and foremost, I think it's important to note that "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" was the LAST album that Stevie owed Warner/Reprise to complete her contract. The album was only recorded with the imposed deadline to complete her obligation to the label and bring her contract to an end. That being said, Warner/Reprise had no intention of launching a huge promotional push to sell the record. Thanks to Warner's lackluster promotion, "24 KG" was intentionally dead on arrival. This is sadly a common practice in the world of major label deals. When a label sees that it has nothing more to gain from an artist, they usually cut their losses and complete the contract with no promotion for the last record.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the NEW Buckingham/McVie record will be released by Atlantic Records. Thus, I'm assuming that Atlantic signed the duo to some sort of NEW deal. I'm not sure if the label thinks it will get to release any future Fleetwood Mac projects. Maybe they are hoping this "pet project" by the duo will turn into something greater.

My point is that the new Buckingham/McVie album will benefit from greater promotion from the label. This will surely translate into better sales. However, if this duo's record was up against a new Stevie album with full scale promotion from a major label, there's no way they would outsell Stevie, especially without the Fleetwood Mac name.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I know charts and sales are something that interests you, but honestly? Who cares!

Also, pitting different members of FM against each other is something we had so many uproars against on this board recently, and this poll does exactly that, so it's really unhealthy imho, even if you didn' mean it that way.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is a troll of a thread
I don't know why some fret over chart listings and sales. Stevie solo records have routinely sold better than Lindsey or Christine solo records. Stop pitting the members against each other like its a board game!
My answer to the poll: Who cares?
Old 04-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dumb thread. They are a new entity and are not getting special promotion or a World tour to help sell it.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's just for speculation! You don't have to vote.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
There is a major factor at play here as to which album will sell better. First and foremost, I think it's important to note that "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" was the LAST album that Stevie owed Warner/Reprise to complete her contract. The album was only recorded with the imposed deadline to complete her obligation to the label and bring her contract to an end. That being said, Warner/Reprise had no intention of launching a huge promotional push to sell the record. Thanks to Warner's lackluster promotion, "24 KG" was intentionally dead on arrival. This is sadly a common practice in the world of major label deals. When a label sees that it has nothing more to gain from an artist, they usually cut their losses and complete the contract with no promotion for the last record.

By contrast, it is my understanding that the NEW Buckingham/McVie record will be released by Atlantic Records. Thus, I'm assuming that Atlantic signed the duo to some sort of NEW deal. I'm not sure if the label thinks it will get to release any future Fleetwood Mac projects. Maybe they are hoping this "pet project" by the duo will turn into something greater.

My point is that the new Buckingham/McVie album will benefit from greater promotion from the label. This will surely translate into better sales. However, if this duo's record was up against a new Stevie album with full scale promotion from a major label, there's no way they would outsell Stevie, especially without the Fleetwood Mac name.
Bingo! If they had gone with Warner Brothers, I would have said no way....it's just going to be tossed out there, with dire results.
Atlantic, on the other hand, still works their acts, and they seem to have a plan for this album....there's a single out this week, the pre-order is up (Warners has gotten VERY lazy with their pre-orders, often waiting until just four to six weeks before the release date to put them up)....if radio gets behind the single (and that's a tall order these days!), they just might pull it off!
A good video would also help!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

One other thing that I don't think has ever been mentioned/addressed.....on three or four albums SINCE the release of 24KG, Stevie is still given a courtesy credit of WB/Reprise.
If she were a free agent, as should be the case, after wrapping up her current contract with 24KG, this wouldn't be necessary....she might get a courtesy credit of (making this up here!) Welsh Witch Productions.....or, more realistically, nothing at all.
Has anyone heard of her (sadly!) reupping with WB?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

#15 based on one day of pre-orders. Is that a good sign?

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-..._dp_ts_music_1

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.