Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
As rough as Stevie's singing is on "Juliet" and "Ooh My Love" the passion and warmth in her voice are still evident. I can see why neither song was chosen for TITN (they don't fit with the other material--or they fit even less than the ones that were chosen). But at least on these demos I can hear the old Stevie. On "When I See You Again" and "Welcome..." she sounds disengaged, distant, even tranquilized. I never understood why the band didn't try to record "Planets of the Universe" and "Smile at You" during these sessions. They'd tried both songs before and presumably that familiarity could have been used to their advantage.
But wouldn't Planets of the Universe or Smile at You have been even more out of place on Tango in the Night? I really can't imagine them with all that 80s pop sinth. Maybe If You Were My Love but even that is a bit of a stretch.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Glad LB got rid of the overly tweaked squeaky vocals on Tango demo in favor of more of his "real" voice.

I think I'd have preferred the Tango In The Night version Richard Dashut unearthed a while back. That was a much earlier and more interesting version as it was so different to the final cut. This version is pretty much the same music but with crappier lyrics and silly voices...a bit annoying.

I love Mystified but the alternate does nothing for me. It sounds kind of eerie and slowly chugs along (but in a weird way).

Ooh My Love- perhaps should have replaced When I See You Again (but not with this vocal).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I had no idea Lindsey wrote Ooh My Love until I read the credits. Even though the song is different from the one on Stevie's solo album, they do share some lyrics. Yet Lindsey is not credited at all on her album. Interesting.
I doubt very seriously he did. I think that is an error on my he liner notes.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi all! Enjoying my first listen of the box set. Does anyone have details on the Tango in the Night demo. I was taken aback by that one.

Love Where We Belong, but really I liked all the demos and alternates except for Ricky, and I'm sure he'll grow on me.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpai View Post
Hi all! Enjoying my first listen of the box set. Does anyone have details on the Tango in the Night demo. I was taken aback by that one.

Love Where We Belong, but really I liked all the demos and alternates except for Ricky, and I'm sure he'll grow on me.
Is this our first time hearing Ricky? I love it! Listen on headphones. So good.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As rough as Stevie's singing is on "Juliet" and "Ooh My Love" the passion and warmth in her voice are still evident. I can see why neither song was chosen for TITN (they don't fit with the other material--or they fit even less than the ones that were chosen). But at least on these demos I can hear the old Stevie. On "When I See You Again" and "Welcome..." she sounds disengaged, distant, even tranquilized. I never understood why the band didn't try to record "Planets of the Universe" and "Smile at You" during these sessions. They'd tried both songs before and presumably that familiarity could have been used to their advantage.
An easy explanation :
"Juliet and "Ooh My Love " as well as "Seven Wonders " were recorded pre' Klonopin ..the other two after.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
An easy explanation :
"Juliet and "Ooh My Love " as well as "Seven Wonders " were recorded pre' Klonopin ..the other two after.
Her warbling was OUT OF CONTROL on every song in that era. I hate her singing on Rock a little and Tango. She kind of became of caricature of herself at this point. Thank God when the Dance came around she went back.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
An easy explanation :
Her vocals on the The Other Side Of The Mirror were horrible to say the least!

Last edited by Jondalar; 04-02-2017 at 03:30 AM..
Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Her vocals on the The Other Side Of The Mirror were horrible to say the least!
OSOTM is the one that turned me from a huge fan,...into what I am now!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
But wouldn't Planets of the Universe or Smile at You have been even more out of place on Tango in the Night? I really can't imagine them with all that 80s pop sinth. Maybe If You Were My Love but even that is a bit of a stretch.
LB's production of Smile at You on SYW and the Chris Lord Algae(sp?)'s production of Planets on TISL seem very Tango-friendly. I think with a touch of imagination, these could have fit in nicely. Alas, my fantasy is only that and we're left with what we've got: two outright clunkers.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
An easy explanation :
Oh, okay. Did she start taking Klonopin during the sessions or right before them? I mean, Juliet and Ooh My Love wouldn't be on Tango unless the takes there were recorded during the Tango sessions. Or maybe not?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
LB's production of Smile at You on SYW and the Chris Lord Algae(sp?)'s production of Planets on TISL seem very Tango-friendly. I think with a touch of imagination, these could have fit in nicely. Alas, my fantasy is only that and we're left with what we've got: two outright clunkers.
Yes, it's Chris Lord-Alge. I don't know, Planets of the Universe from the Rumours sessions and Smile at You from the Mirage sessions are among my absolute favourites and I can't see them in every other way. Also since I've read that When I See You Again was chosen for Tango in the place of What has rock and roll ever done for you I just always thought that that and Joan of Arc would have been much better choices.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Deluxe Version

The standouts for me are the instrumental demo of Mystified and the Full versions of You and I. With the original Album clocking in at 44 minutes, I wonder if they had to choose between Part 1 or Part 2 due to time constraint of the vinyl (in lieu of the full version) - a la Silver Springs.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I adore the instrumental version of Mystified and the full version of You and I.

I think Juliet should have been wonderful as part of Stevie's solo albums. Maybe it's in one of them and I didn't know it. I don't follow Stevie's solo career that much.

I'd probably have included Ooh my love, but then I don't know what song I'd have cut.

I love Ricky, but I loved it since I found the vinyl.

Where we belong and Book of Miracles have that Mirage vibe, if you know what I mean. They sound more 1982 than 1987.

The extended remix of Big Love. Fantastic. Those "big, big love" at the end from Stevie make the song even better.

Four versions of Family Man is way too much, but if I have to choose one, maybe the Extended Guitar Version is my favorite, just because of all those Stevie's "sister, sister" at the end.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Ledgie

Rupert Hine really worked some magic on Ooh My Love. The Tango version is a complete mess!