Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anyone like Emmylou ?

So, I just got back from an adventurous evening, part of which was seeing Emmylou open for Dave Matthews at the Staples Center. She only did 8 songs, but what an excellent performance ! Highlights were Grievous Angel, Red Dirt Girl, Born To Run, and Deeper Well. Trey Anastasio (sp?) came onstage to play guitar on Deeper Well, which was the amazing last song. Kick Ass ! I think her slot on the tour is over tomorrow night in Oakland, but if you are in Oakland, GO !
Old 01-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For months now, I've had a sticky note on my computer, "Emmylou Harris - Black Hawk and White Wing Dove." It's a beautiful song, I had to jot it down after I heard it on the radio. It's on her album called "Wrecking Ball."

And I think she looks fabulous w/ her silver-gray hair!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

I LOVE "I Don't Want To Talk About It Now" off of "Red Dirt Girl". She most definitely kicks ass.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Emmylou is an amazing singer. Her voice gives me chills...it's just so unique and so beautiful. And I second Livia on complimenting her on her "silver-gray hair." Who else could get away with that?

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 01-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Me, me! She's amazing. I LOVE Emmylou--at least the last three albums she's done. Her voice is so ethereal, so haunting. I love "Deeper Well" from "Wrecking Ball", and "My Antonia" from "Red Dirt Girl". From the new album, "I Will Dream" and "Little Bird" are my favorites. I also like "Time in Babylon," but it's weird to hear her saying SUV and speaker phone because I think of her voice and music as something not of this world, not of this time.
I totally regret that I didn't see her when she was in the area performing recently. I'd spent all my money seeing FM 85 times this year. (Well, not 85, but too many! lol) I'm very jealous of you, sparky.

Last edited by Sorceress; 01-16-2004 at 02:05 PM..
Old 01-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I *love* Emmylou. She's fantastic. Red Dirt Girl is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love Emmylou Harris.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She & Dave Matthews did a CMT "Crossroads" show together. Unfortunately, I missed it last week, all 97 times they aired it.

I like both of them...but together? Seems like an odd pairing, but knowing them, they made it sound incredible.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I love Emmylou Harris.
Me too, but that Clark banner has to go, doll.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I use to like her. I remember in the seventies I bought an album of hers, I think it was around 78.
Anyway I remember Mr Sandman was on it and two other songs that sent chills down my spine. The songs were something to the affect, You Don't Have To Crawl, and a song about a guy being like a fire out for control. Anyone have a clue what these songs were, I have been trying to find them for years. The cover if I remember had a blue back groung with a full shot of her.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really know her songs, but I admire her voice. Her grey hair sure makes her instantly recognizable.

- Jake
Old 01-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to hear there are other Emmylou fans out there. She has such a unique voice and impeccable taste in material. It's cool that so late in her career she has blossomed into a skilled songwriter herself.

It was a totally random evening. Two days ago, a friend asked me to go, but told me we had to leave after Emmy to pick up a friend at the airport. All good. So we get there - tix and passes waiting for us (yeehaw). We went to the floor and watched most of the show from the light booth. Very interesting as I used to do lights myself. It was a cool set up.

After the set, we get hustled backstage to visit yet another friend of the pal who took me to the show. In the buzz of all this, we meet Emmy and the band, end up hanging in her dressing room, and then realize we are completely late to go to the airport. There are two missed calls on my cell phone. The plane has landed, there are two people who have flown in from Germany waiting for us at LAX. Ridiculous. So, we have to leave, and everyone in that dressing room looked at us like we were crazy when we said we had to go to the airport. We are rushing through the parking lot, saying - "We were just backstage at the Staples Center, in Emmylou's dressing room. We skipped the headliner. We're rushing to the airport. It's so rock and roll." We laughed like idiots at the silliness of it all.

BTW Emmylou is so beautiful and kind. Very shy, and humble about her work. What a treat to meet her.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky

BTW Emmylou is so beautiful and kind. Very shy, and humble about her work. What a treat to meet her.
She is incredibly beautiful. Did she have her big, black dog with her?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
She is incredibly beautiful. Did she have her big, black dog with her?
No dog. Dog free zone backstage, as far as I saw.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Emmylous Harris is awesome. As my dad once said, "She loves her guitar more than her husband and thats just cool."

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.