The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey doesn't need any expensive videos for his DVD and I loved seeing and analyzing the band pictures he used in the past and the way he sequenced them. I wouldn't give that up and I am addicted to anything including his family. But I would prefer that the DVD not contain too much hand held footage that he shot himself this time around.

Michele
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey doesn't need any expensive videos for his DVD and I loved seeing and analyzing the band pictures he used in the past and the way he sequenced them. I wouldn't give that up and I am addicted to anything including his family. But I would prefer that the DVD not contain too much hand held footage that he shot himself this time around.

Michele
I agree Michele. I did enjoy the inclusion of his family (that little Stella!!) but, like I said, the grass shots, the lengthy shots of the LA skyline (where we see nothing but a skyline and he even stops talking at one point so you can watch with him), and the random shots of...random things that really have little to do with the song/theme going on at that given moment (like the video from DOR- um, yawn).

His whole record label ordeal was fascinating to watch.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
and the random shots of...random things that really have little to do with the song/theme going on at that given moment (like the video from DOR- um, yawn).
I think combined there must have been a whole minutes of shots of that thing that looked like the lane markings on a high way, just going on and on.

I guess it's a metaphor for life and the passage of time, but the monotony. It seemed to me that he was trying to hypnotize the viewer, for some nefarious purpose.

Michele
Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think combined there must have been a whole minutes of shots of that thing that looked like the lane markings on a high way, just going on and on.

I guess it's a metaphor for life and the passage of time, but the monotony. It seemed to me that he was trying to hypnotize the viewer, for some nefarious purpose.
i wonder whether he ever actually watched what he put together there? and if he did, did he really think - "yeah, exactly what i wanted. but now i need another 2 minutes of this one song covered, so i'll just show driving down this road by that crossroads sign again - maybe somebody will buy that this is supposed to be deep and symbolic."
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i wonder whether he ever actually watched what he put together there? and if he did, did he really think - "yeah, exactly what i wanted. but now i need another 2 minutes of this one song covered, so i'll just show driving down this road by that crossroads sign again - maybe somebody will buy that this is supposed to be deep and symbolic."
I'm convinced he believes he's being "deep and symbolic" when he does these kinds of things.

What he doesn't realize is it needn't be so contrived. Every note that pours out of him in the live setting is so filled with passion and emotion that you can actually feel what he may have been feeling at the time he wrote & sang it. So he just needs to be...he's naturally a deep, dark, and mysterious individual. No need to force it.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 04-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree Michele. I did enjoy the inclusion of his family (that little Stella!!) but, like I said, the grass shots, the lengthy shots of the LA skyline (where we see nothing but a skyline and he even stops talking at one point so you can watch with him), and the random shots of...random things that really have little to do with the song/theme going on at that given moment (like the video from DOR- um, yawn).

I'm not altogether convinced there was ever anyone on the other end of those phone conversations - anybody else think that?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm convinced he believes he's being "deep and symbolic" when he does these kinds of things.

What he doesn't realize is it needn't be so contrived. Every note that pours out of him in the live setting is so filled with passion and emotion that you can actually feel what he may have been feeling at the time he wrote & sang it. So he just needs to be...he's naturally a deep, dark, and mysterious individual. No need to force it.

Well said!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm the opposite. I could do without much of his family but I really enjoyed the video-collage a lot. I'm not saying that I'd want the same thing again but I thought that on the Bass Hall DVD documentary it worked well.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I'm the opposite. I could do without much of his family but I really enjoyed the video-collage a lot. I'm not saying that I'd want the same thing again but I thought that on the Bass Hall DVD documentary it worked well.
hmm... when i watch that doc i just feel almost embarrassed for him how bad i think that "collage" is, with his "deep thought" narrative over it - and i don't think it can even be called collage. he's great expressing himself through music, but video is not his form, at least it wasn't when he was playing with it few year ago.

the snippets of it out on youtube are not that bad on their own, but the whole string of that in a home movie... ugh.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
hmm... when i watch that doc i just feel almost embarrassed for him how bad i think that "collage" is, with his "deep thought" narrative over it - and i don't think it can even be called collage. he's great expressing himself through music, but video is not his form, at least it wasn't when he was playing with it few year ago.

the snippets of it out on youtube are not that bad on their own, but the whole string of that in a home movie... ugh.
I agree that it's not exactly "high art" but I just like the abstract images. I don't know if he was going for "deep" or not (although I suspect that he was) but there is just something about the images that I like on a purely visual level.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
I'm not altogether convinced there was ever anyone on the other end of those phone conversations - anybody else think that?
I've wondered!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Definitely. I always say that Lindsey was talking to the same person on the phone that Stella was talking to on the phone. I think it was a recreation of his record company encounters. That's not to say that it still didn't tug at my heart strings to have his work rejected, because it has happened, even if it didn't really happen on that DVD.

Michele
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Then at the end, when they're looking out over Los Angeles and Will asks him a question about the lights in the distance. I'm sure it's a metaphor for something, but it just makes me giggle. I mean, I enjoy it on one level. I like the idea of Lindsey with his son, no matter what they're talking about, be it a baseball stadium, but the whole effort to make it seem like something profound (as Bel Air Rain, actually is), is just humorous to me.

I'm like, "Will, go to bed. Your father doesn't know anything about the baseball season."

Michele
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham gearing up for new album, tour

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110412/.../us_buckingham

for a full article, see separate thread

Last edited by elle; 04-12-2011 at 03:18 PM..