The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Ledgie

Default Books on Fleetwood Mac - To buy or not to buy??

Hi everyone, even though Im an avid Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan i've only read a couple of general books based on the band but i've never read Carol Ann Harris' book or Mick Fleetwood's autobiography.

I always got the impression that Harris' book was probably going to be "fluff" and was just a broken-hearted woman lamenting her relationship whilst giving Stevie a hard time etc. (Apologies for this very cruel/lude description);

Then i always stayed clear of Mick's book because of the whole thing that he made up the big Stevie/Lindsay fight so i was unsure what would be believable and truthful from him....

Anyway, I'm just asking would anyone still recommend these 2 mentioned books or any others?? All suggestions/comments/reviews welcome...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have both books. I think just like any book about anyone, you have to take the occurrences described with a grain of salt. Mick probably thought more 'drama' would sell better. I am sure there are parts of his book that are definitely true. I'm just as sure that some parts are more drama than truth.

Concerning Carol Ann's book, I felt that she tried too hard to make herself look never at fault for anything that happened to her/around her. In the process of doing that, she made herself seem like a clueless and helpless person. Of course, I don't know how much of what she said is true or untrue. Still, if someone is going to do tons of drugs around someone else doing tons of drugs, things are going to happen that may not have if both people were sober.

You can preview some of the book Storms at
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ha2...i=ezo4TcOQM4TQ
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a list, here, on The Penguin of a bunch of books related to the band. Some are out of print, but you can find them from time to time on eBay and some second hand book stores:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/artis...25&gid=0&fid=3
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Actually, there is one thing I never understood about Mick's book (which is great fun to read, by the way). If he was so determined to bring out all the drama and write a true kiss-and-tell story, willing to tell the world about his affair with Stevie and Lindsey's alleged outbreak against her in 1987, then why did he not say a word about Christine's affair with Martin Birch in the early 1970s, that is, while she was still married to John. There is this one paragraph in the book, where Mick describes how a drunken John was chasing Chris who had to seek shelter in Mick's hotel room that night. But the lady herself is the only one who is being portrayed as a true "English Rose". I never knew about the affair with their engineer until I read Bob Brunning's book (which was very boring otherwise).
Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Getting an education on Fleetwood Mac---

My recommendations:

I read as much as I could on this Ledge place...going into old threads, as people posted what they experienced at concerts back in the day. I learned a lot. And as I asked questions here on the Ledge, members were kind enough to respond.

The first book I read was Leah Furman's Rumors Exposed-the Unauthorized Biography...in the author section, it said she is an attorney and did her research. I liked how the book went from the early days of FM and didn't get started when SN and LB joined the band.

I was amused to find out that Jeremy Spencer did a mini-Elvis set (?) in the early days. From there I wanted to find concert audio to hear the songs. Someone here on the Ledge posted a song ...."Somebody's gonna get their head kicked in tonight." That is one fun song....

From there I got back issues of RollingStone, People, Circus etc. from the local library to read about the band as they were being reported.

And then...I went to Amazon/Ebay and started buying new and used books.

Books which I felt I should not have purchased were:
40 Years of Creative Chaos-Brackett
Read Between my Lines (Musical Life and Journey of Stevie Nicks)-Halliburton
Never Break the Chain-Cath Carroll
Fleetwood Mac: the First 30 Years-Bruning
The Fleetwood Mac Story-Rumors and Lies-Bruning

They were books which I did read and would not say I hated...just wish I had not bought them, because they would not be books that I would re-read.

As for Micks's and CAH's book, I read and purchased them...purchased both of Mick's books, the 25 years one and the My Life and Times one. The authors have different perspectives and for that, I found them interesting. Who really knows what "the truth" is? I wanted to find out what really happened in New Zealand.

One last comment...I can't remember...but the one book of Mick's is a coffee table sized book and contains lots of photographs. That one I did enjoy and I would recommend if you can find it. I found it on Ebay for about $10 and it was a hardback copy.

I don't know if this is what you wanted when you started this thread, but this is my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Ledgie

Thank-you to everyone who has replied so far... All of your inputs have been very informative and i'll have to explore a few of the recommendations. I think it's always good to here other people's thoughts and its not as though there are many reviews on these books on amazon etc. So thanks a lot everyone.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
One last comment...I can't remember...but the one book of Mick's is a coffee table sized book and contains lots of photographs. That one I did enjoy and I would recommend if you can find it. I found it on Ebay for about $10 and it was a hardback copy.
I bought one off of eBay, and it was still in the factory shrink wrap, so I couldn't bring myself to open it. So I bought another used copy, for my actual coffee table!

I like Mick's book the best, followed by CAH's. Others, such as Rumours Exposed, are pretty much disposable. Buy them if they're cheap, but only because you can't get enough FM in your daily diet!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I found Mick's book to be quite boring and it was deleted off my Kindle as soon as I was done (I do still have the text file though, so if want it, PM me and we'll make an arrangement).

In regard to CAH's book, I found that it's best to read with numerous grains of salt, but to just let yourself laugh (you remember the granny panties bit David?)

I did read that Cath Carroll one from the library and it really wasn't that great, but she got a ton of info from The Penguin of all places. And I heard Bob Brunning's book is something you should skip.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found Storms at my public library! It was an entertaining free read...
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Personally, I found Mick's book to be quite boring and it was deleted off my Kindle as soon as I was done (I do still have the text file though, so if want it, PM me and we'll make an arrangement).

In regard to CAH's book, I found that it's best to read with numerous grains of salt, but to just let yourself laugh (you remember the granny panties bit David?)

Bob Brunning's book is something you should skip.
I find that surprising! I like Mick's book, most of all! The main thing I like about it, is probably what the people that don't like it, dislike. That he devotes a CONSIDERABLE chunk of it, to the pre-1975 lineup.

I do find CAH's book to be an interesting read, even if she comes off as a saint. She actually reinforced, what I always believed, about Lindsey's temper.

I don't have the Brunning book...

Since we got wifi at work, my reading days are pretty much over.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've read Storms and Mick's book. I think they're both worth reading, if you have the time, interest, and money, though both are far from perfect.
Overall, I preferred Mick's. There may be some inaccuracies (as there are in CAH's book), but I found it an interesting, informative read. You learn a lot about the pre-BN days, in particular. And he has a totally inoffensive voice--which I wouldn't note if he weren't up against CAH.
I actually think almost everything Carol Ann said about Lindsey (at least, the important things) was true. But her writing was so...drippy. Still worth, reading, though--there are some good stories, interesting portraits of Lindsey and Stevie, and particularly entertaining moments involving Christine.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I find that surprising! I like Mick's book, most of all! The main thing I like about it, is probably what the people that don't like it, dislike. That he devotes a CONSIDERABLE chunk of it, to the pre-1975 lineup.

I do find CAH's book to be an interesting read, even if she comes off as a saint. She actually reinforced, what I always believed, about Lindsey's temper.

I don't have the Brunning book...

Since we got wifi at work, my reading days are pretty much over.
CAH's book was the first one I read and, while I did find it more funny that anything else, I did find some parts intriguing and as for Lindsey's temper, I do have reasons why I think it's true, mainly being the assorted stress at the time (or maybe he was PMSing )

When I was reading that Cath Carroll one, I was thinking "is it just me or have I read this stuff on The Penguin?" (I'm not gonna lie, the rest of the site keeps me very entertained on a boring day lol) and, lo and behold, in the works cited-thingy at the end, she cites The Penguin as a major source

And how did wifi prevent you from reading? Spending too much time of teh Internets now?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I was reading that Cath Carroll one, I was thinking "is it just me or have I read this stuff on The Penguin?" (I'm not gonna lie, the rest of the site keeps me very entertained on a boring day lol) and, lo and behold, in the works cited-thingy at the end, she cites The Penguin as a major source

And how did wifi prevent you from reading? Spending too much time of teh Internets now?
Which book is Cath Carroll's???

Yes, I am but a mere slave, to the internets. WTF did we do, before it? While I'm old enough to know, I don't remember life without it. WTF did we do, just sit around watching TV?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Which book is Cath Carroll's???

Yes, I am but a mere slave, to the internets. WTF did we do, before it? While I'm old enough to know, I don't remember life without it. WTF did we do, just sit around watching TV?
Cath Carrol wrote this one I think was called Never Break the Chain and it was on "the making of Rumours" (there was hardly anything on the topic and there was more on Tusk than anything else). I took it out from the library and I was thankful that I did (I have a bad habit of getting books and finding out later I don't like it).

And right there, you sounded just like me when I was little. Back then, I was basically obsessed with TV to the point where I'd put on the TV in every single room I went into, even if I wasn't staying and while I don't watch much TV now (thanks to teh internets), I used to wonder what people did before TV and thought they must've been falling off their faces bored.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Cath Carrol wrote this one I think was called Never Break the Chain and it was on "the making of Rumours"

And right there, you sounded just like me when I was little. Back then, I was basically obsessed with TV to the point where I'd put on the TV in every single room I went into, even if I wasn't staying and while I don't watch much TV now (thanks to teh internets), I used to wonder what people did before TV and thought they must've been falling off their faces bored.
I don't know, that I've seen that book....

God, can you imagine life without teh internets, OR TV? Good lord.....

About 3 years ago, we had a terrible storm here, and I was without power, for 3 days! By the third day, I was going absolutely batsh*t crazy. I called my aunt, an hour away, and said, "fire up that TV, I'm on my way!" Three days with NO NOISE, whatsoever(especially living by yourself) was quite unnerving.