The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Though I still think that was an unfair comment, because it was Christine & Stevie's right to stay within the musical framework they were happy with.
Let's not forget that it was Stevie's stage act that most closely resembled a Broadway show (and it isn't all that different from what Fleetwood Mac are doing now), a thing where people might as well forget about the music and focus on the stage actions. That must have been a hard beef to bite for Lindsey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
Admittedly, I have not seen much LB solo stuff, but what I have seen begs the question, how far removed from lounge act was a Lindsey Buckingham solo show?
Like David said, that tour took place 9-10 years after the original comment. By that time Lindsey's attitude had obviously changed, he obviously felt the need to make the stage sound more perfect and full overall, unlike the Fleetwood Mac stage shows before the Shake The Cage tour. Obviously some of the complaints about FM's sound being disappointing on stage for some people (because they didn't sound like they did on the albums) had got to his head by then.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Let's not forget that it was Stevie's stage act that most closely resembled a Broadway show (and it isn't all that different from what Fleetwood Mac are doing now), a thing where people might as well forget about the music and focus on the stage actions. That must have been a hard beef to bite for Lindsey.
I know it's been said that the rest of FM were at times embarrassed by Stevie's onstage antics, but I've never understood why.

Sure, the "rock & roll ballerina" thing, with all of the twirling and scarves, was probably a little more "fluff" than they were comfortable with, but it added a visual element that helped prevent the proceedings from being just a standard run-of-the-mill rock concert. So when coupled with the sublime music they were creating, Stevie's image was one of the things that propelled them to "supergroup" status.

Any artist that hits it big, owes their success partly to their music and partly to whatever image they project. And no matter what the most erudite of critics might think of you, it's the buying public that decides your fate.
It's just the way it goes, and I've never understood fighting it or bemoaning it.

The funny and ironic thing is, these days Stevie has toned all of that stuff down, while Lindsey has amped up his own stage antics!

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 06-23-2004 at 12:43 AM..
Old 06-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I saw what I think was the last night. Was Los Angeles the last night?

I'll tell you what I'd like. Here's what I'd like. I'd like to get a laserdisc-to-DVD transfer of that video because the VHS contained Got a Hold on Me & Love Will Show Us How short-form videos, while the laserdisc contained the live performances of those two songs.
I have the original video album as well as the laserdisc copied to videotape. I believe it's the entire laserdisc footage. There is a documentary of the making of her album & a shortened version of the show that she recorded at the Reseda Country Club. "Got A Hold On Me" & "Love Will Show Us How" are not on there, either the short-form videos or the live versions. I do have a CDR of the Reseda show & it does have the live versions of those 2 songs plus "Say You Love Me" & "Over My Head" as well as the rest of the songs that are on the video album. Maybe I don't have the complete footage from the laserdisc afterall.

The Reseda show was not a part of her tour. It was a promo for her album & was broadcast later on MTV. She was trying to promote her new album. That's why most of the songs from her new album were on the video plus a few of her Fleetwood Mac hits. She did vary the set list for her later tour. She even did a few songs from the Bob Welch/Fleetwood Mac years. I agree about "Hold Me". That song was better on her solo tour than on the Mirage tour. I would have preferred to see "Hold Me" on the video instead of "World Turning". I liked her show from her tour better than the video. But, I still don't find the video boring. I'm biased, but I don't find anything boring about Christine McVie.

Last edited by macfan 57; 06-23-2004 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 AM

I blame the director of the video. The cameras, lighting and sound were pretty average. This show was not boring per se, it was the presentation.

On a side note, (this is too funny) when LB did his OTTC tour I saw him in a lounge!

It was in Cleveland called Peabody's! I love LB, but he is always putting his foot in his mouth. Even now he does. But he is a damn fine guitarist! It was a great show!

When he left FM he claimed they were stale and he had to do all the work. When Chris left FMac he claims they now are able to do what they want and it's refreshing after 25 years. When Stevie did her solo stuff he made various comments about her stage show and the way she writes. IMHO he's resented the fact that he is always outsold by the other two's work (moreso by Stevie), so he will qualify that he is a better musician.

I wish I could fail as miserably as he has!