The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, at least Macedonia has good taste.

In The Meantime did get up to #15 on the U.K. Indies Album chart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/indie.shtml
Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
macfan 57:

I think she did it for fun & for the satisfaction of doing it. Her motives & priorities are completely different from the rest of Fleetwood Mac now.
And she did it for her fans!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default i need to stay current..

and sometimes I am.

I bought the "Live in Boston" dvd set when it was released, but because I didn't stop by and visit the Christine McVie Ledge board sooner, I was unaware that her new CD could be purchased via amazon.UK.. ok..uk.. so I downloaded the minute clips from Chris' website, and after a 12 minute listen, I placed an order at Amazon.UK for 10 pounds.. however much that is..

so, in a few days I should be receiving the new Christine McVie album.. I really like the minute clips, and I hope I don't wear them out waiting for the complete "In the Meantime."

She is sounding quite good, isn't she. :-)
Old 07-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
She is sounding quite good, isn't she. :-)
She is sounding great!

The one minute clips don't really do the songs justice.

I would say though that you need to listen to the album right through a few times and then it really grabs you.

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 07-04-2004 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Can't spell!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default my review

(special thanks to Amazon.UK for dispatching quickly to the U.S.)

I’ve always felt that if an album has at least six songs that you really like, then it’s a keeper. "In the Meantime" has ten songs that I can easily put into that really like category. I am pleasantly surprised at how good, and how much I really love the new Christine McVie record. Her voice is strong and beautiful, like cool water. And she appropriately gives special thanks to all the musicians who played on her album in the credits. The music is amazing throughout the record. With each listen, I hear something new.

“Friend” is the upbeat, rock and roll opener, and feels like Fleetwood ”Bare Trees” Mac, while “You Are” would have complimented “Mirage” quite nicely. Two strong numbers, and a wonderful way to open the album. But after the one two, is this a Fleetwood Mac record? the album wisely softens and you realize you are listening to an amazing singer/songwriter named Christine McVie. You can sense the familiarity, but yet it sounds and feels so fresh.

“Northern Star” is probably the most gorgeous sounding song on the record, and my second favorite. This album does feature a lot of guitar, and it shines on “Northern Star.” The bluesy “Bad Journey” wraps around Chris’ silky voice ever so nicely. And “Anything is Possible” is irresistibly catchy.

My favorite track is “Calumny.” It was an initial mystery, as I didn’t know what the word meant (slanderous - how wicked, huh?) And what a gem.. the opening guitar strums, the beautiful melody, the sadness of the lyrics, and the gorgeous music. I love how her voice ends the song...”he just slips the noose, tight around my heart.. tight around my heart...tight around my heart” And her voice breaks my heart. So very good. I‘m getting chills just writing about it.

“So Sincere” is another favorite, with its meandering melody and haunting feel. ‘”Liar” may have cliched lyrics, but it definitely rocks. The beginning music of ‘Sweet Revenge” reminds me of Macy Gray, and I really like the feel of the song with it’s wicked lyrics, and the perfect abrupt ending.

“Forgiveness” rounds out my top 3, and may be edging out “Northern Star” as my second favorite track. “Forgiveness” gets better after each listen. I’m having a hard time describing the song, so buy the record and see for yourself how good it is. "Funny little white car with the broken lights."

Finally, I love how Chris’ ends the album with the pretty “Givin It Back.” I hope it’s not, but if this is Chris’ swan song, than she ended it on the right note - cool, calm, and collected. My heartfelt thanks to Christine for givin’ this beautiful music back to her fans. And in the words of a sage old song writer.. "Don't Stop."

“Well, I’m gonna go tell everyone
even the rising sun..
to go buy the new McVie record and make it go to number one..
where it belongs..”
Old 07-10-2004, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Keith,
That was a great review! I agree that after hearing the first 2 tracks, you think this is a Fleetwood Mac record-"Friend" is from the 1970's & "You Are" is from the 1980's. And, I completely agree with you about "Calumny". That is also my favorite song(among many)on the album. When Chris goes into the chorus, it actually gives me chills. And, the guitar is perfect throughout the song, too. I would say it's one of the best songs she's ever written, except she didn't write it. I even think it's the best vocal from her that I've ever heard on any of her songs over 35 years. It's pretty much a perfect song, right up there with "Why" & "Songbird" in my opinion.

Don't be too sure that this is the last Christine McVie music we'll get from her. In one of those video clips on her website, she didn't close the door on any future music. She seemed to have a lot of fun making this album. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that she's writing songs again a few years down the road.

Last edited by macfan 57; 07-10-2004 at 10:07 AM..
Old 07-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

[QUOTE=Keith
even the rising sun..
where it belongs..”[/QUOTE]

Classic!

Great review by the way.

Gail
Old 07-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review Keith!

Quote:
I’ve always felt that if an album has at least six songs that you really like, then it’s a keeper. "In the Meantime" has ten songs that I can easily put into that really like category.
Just curious, which two don't you really like, and why?

Quote:
“Forgiveness” gets better after each listen. I’m having a hard time describing the song, so buy the record and see for yourself how good it is. "Funny little white car with the broken lights."
Yea, I like it better with each listen too....it's a bluesy rock number, yet I think it has a more pop melody type chorus and I love the way it ends with the orchestration between the keyboards and drum cymbals. By the way those lyrics are from "So Sincere".

Quote:
My heartfelt thanks to Christine for givin’ this beautiful music back to her fans. And in the words of a sage old song writer.. "Don't Stop."

Absolutely. I hope she never does. I don't care if she never tours. Just having songs like these I can enjoy forever is enough for me.

Quote:
even the rising sun..
where it belongs..”

I sent my sister a copy for her birthday on the 13th of this month. I think she'll love it!

Old 07-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In the Meantime.. heavy rotation

here in my flat. This record really gets better after each listen.

jwd, the two songs that I don't really like are Liar and Easy Come, Easy Go. I like Liar, mainly because it's a rocker, but I wouldn't have missed it if it was left off. Easy Come Easy Go would be the one track that I would describe as filler.. it just doesn't do much for me..it just seems to sit there.

I do know the lyrics "Funny little white car with the broken lights" are from So Sincere. When I was typing the review, I was listening to the album, and when I heard those words, I felt like typing them - i love the words. It just happened to be when I was describing my thoughts about "Forgiveness." And speaking of "So Sincere".. it's quickly becoming a favorite. What a great little tune.

a friend is dropping by for a beer or two, and he's gonna be treated to the new Christine McVie.. i think he'll like it..
Old 07-10-2004, 06:55 PM

great review keith
Old 07-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Keith:

the two songs that I don't really like are Liar and Easy Come, Easy Go. I like Liar, mainly because it's a rocker, but I wouldn't have missed it if it was left off. Easy Come Easy Go would be the one track that I would describe as filler.. it just doesn't do much for me..it just seems to sit there.
Yea, I agree. If I listed out my songs in order of preference, I think those two would be at the bottom of the list. If anything, they make the album seem more rounded out or varied by adding a few rocking numbers. I do like them though.

Quote:
I do know the lyrics "Funny little white car with the broken lights" are from So Sincere. When I was typing the review, I was listening to the album, and when I heard those words, I felt like typing them - i love the words. It just happened to be when I was describing my thoughts about "Forgiveness." And speaking of "So Sincere".. it's quickly becoming a favorite. What a great little tune.

Oh ok. I love the words too. It seems befitting when describing something "quirky" about someone that either identifies them or attracts you to them, or both. As only a good songwriter can do! "So Sincere" quickly moved up my A-list.

Quote:
a friend is dropping by for a beer or two, and he's gonna be treated to the new Christine McVie.. i think he'll like it..
Well?!

Last edited by jwd; 07-11-2004 at 12:43 PM..
Old 07-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a review of In The Meantime. The reviewer got it wrong about who most of the songs are about. But, he liked the album & gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.yorktwenty4seven.co.uk/yo..._REVIEWS6.html
Old 07-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Here's a review of In The Meantime. The reviewer got it wrong about who most of the songs are about. But, he liked the album & gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

http://www.yorktwenty4seven.co.uk/yo..._REVIEWS6.html
Yeah, I don't know if it's about John, but I like the reviewer's analysis of how the songs' order fits logically with how a doomed relationship evolves...
Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12
Yeah, I don't know if it's about John, but I like the reviewer's analysis of how the songs' order fits logically with how a doomed relationship evolves...
The songs are NOT about John. Neither are they about Dennis Wilson. Christine herself said on Radio 2 that "nobody knows this bloke, he's not famous"

So it's either Eddy Quintela or a post Eddy relationship that nobody knows about out.

My money's on Eddy

Gail
Old 07-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
My money's on Eddy
Gail
I agree.