The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’d rather they all had broken up. Lindsey and Stevie could focus on their solo careers which have only reached new heights of artistry. Christine could have worked with Lindsey again or recorded Blues albums with Mick in Hawaii u til they die.Now they are just bastardizing their legacy. Except Lindsey who will marshal this into creativity, I pray.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I’d rather they all had broken up. Lindsey and Stevie could focus on their solo careers which have only reached new heights of artistry. Christine could have worked with Lindsey again or recorded Blues albums with Mick in Hawaii u til they die.Now they are just bastardizing their legacy. Except Lindsey who will marshal this into creativity, I pray.

I'm with you on this. I have been a fan since 1976 and loved all versions of the band. I'm a huge Petty and Crowded House fan but this is just wrong on many fronts. The last tour would have been a great end with the return of Christine.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I'm with you on this. I have been a fan since 1976 and loved all versions of the band. I'm a huge Petty and Crowded House fan but this is just wrong on many fronts. The last tour would have been a great end with the return of Christine.
A great end? Maybe. People here would still find things to complain about, i.e. the same 'ol set list.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
I guess I don't totally understand the situation, because it seems to me that if it was purely a business decision, it would have been much better not to fire him. Now they are risking selling far fewer tickets at shows. I think if they did a tour and LB did solo shows on off days, it would have little or no impact on ticket sales for Mac shows. I think that a vast, vast majority of people would either go to both shows or only the Mac show in their area, whereas with the new lineup, far more people will just stay away from the Mac show. So it being a business decision makes no sense to me.

The other thing I'll add is that I'm seriously astounded that money could even come into this. If any of them are not already set for life, then it just speaks to horrible greed and a complete and utter lack of ability to live within an extraordinary huge means. Very sad.

Kevin
I agree with everything you said about fans going to both or just the Mac shows. I would have gone to both. I would have been dead broke but by God I would have gone to as many shows I could have. What does a firing accomplish r/t ticket sales? Ok, some Mike Campbell fans will check out a show or two. Is Neil Finn a big draw--I don't know but my guess is no(could be wrong).

Assess the competing narratives: 'FM w/Mike and Neil minus LB' versus 'See the classic Rumors line up one last time". Is this even a question?? Even the majority of folks who saw FM last time around would go again cause this presumably is the last tour. Some fans sat it out last tour thinking they would tour one more time---those people would definitely buy tickets for the 5. Some of them will still go to the shows cause they figure this is the last chance but those #'s will be smaller I think.

I wonder if Mick will do meet + greets. Will the fans be instructed that he will not be answering any questions about Lindsey. Maybe his lawyers will advise against him doing meets.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have gone as there was some discussion of them digging out deep cuts/older songs. That would have freshened up the setlist.
I'm not sure to what extent they'll be able to do that now. They need to keep it as identifiable as Fleetwood Mac for casual fans as possible so Chris and Stevie will most likely stick with their must do's.

Regarding the double tour- it may have generated additional publicity so it could have benefited both Lindsey and FM in terms of ticket sales.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh the pathetic irony:
Mick charges fans $400 to take a photo with him on tour
Lindsey wanted to charge fans $40 to play solo guitar in a tiny theater
Old 04-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh the pathetic irony:
Mick charges fans $400 to take a photo with him on tour
Lindsey wanted to charge fans $40 to play solo guitar in a tiny theater
Exactly this!!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLiz2 View Post
And not for nothing (and again I may be foggy on the specifics, so I beg forgiveness if I'm wrong), but didn't Stevie hold off on touring in support of 24 Karat Gold because of an FM tour?
She postponed a fully booked tour. The dates hadn't been announced yet.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I would have gone as there was some discussion of them digging out deep cuts/older songs. That would have freshened up the setlist.
I'm not sure to what extent they'll be able to do that now. They need to keep it as identifiable as Fleetwood Mac for casual fans as possible so Chris and Stevie will most likely stick with their must do's.

Regarding the double tour- it may have generated additional publicity so it could have benefited both Lindsey and FM in terms of ticket sales.
I saw something in an article earlier today about how the older albums are now available for streaming or purchase online. It was like one sentence buried in an article. I'll try to find it...I don't use pandora, etc so I'm not familiar with the content that was available or wasn't available.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Maybe, the "more to it" in this case would be Lindsey asked, they said no. Lindsey then insisted, putting his foot down, believing they would pretty much HAVE to go along with his request, they still said no. Both sides stood their ground which led to the unfortunate firing.

Jamie
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I agree with everything you said about fans going to both or just the Mac shows. I would have gone to both. I would have been dead broke but by God I would have gone to as many shows I could have. What does a firing accomplish r/t ticket sales? Ok, some Mike Campbell fans will check out a show or two.
The Petty fans will come out for Mike. The tour will sell just fine.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
It just speaks to horrible greed and a complete and utter lack of ability to live within an extraordinarily huge means. Very sad.
The perfect description of Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The Petty fans will come out for Mike. The tour will sell just fine.

Of course, I just think the prospect of the Rumours 5 would result in the most ticket sales.

I don't know what happened (basically what I read here). I've been thinking more about what you've posted--let me see if I've got it right.
It could have been LB who wouldn't budge on his solo tour (after Stevie postponed 24K Gold tour due to Chris returning). Then they or LB discussed a concurrent tour as an alternative to delaying FM tour. When that didn't work he was fired so that he can do solo tour and FM can do their tour.

Sorry to be so thick headed here but at times I need someone to spell it out for me step by step.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
The perfect description of Mick Fleetwood
As a man with 4 daughters, (and don't one or both of his older daughters now have kids? is he a grandfather?) two of whom are still rather young, you'd think he'd want to be so invested in making sure they are taken care of and he can leave them at least something.....

not to mention if he lives as long as his mother did, he'll need to support himself. who knows how long he can actually play if he lives to his 90s or more. I guess he could take photos with the tourists for a fee if nothing else.

His restaurant seems to be really the only business venture that he's had that's doing reasonably well. Maybe because he has business partners managing it day to day. But we don't know; one day he could come out with a story of how they defrauded him whilst his attention was elsewhere

Someone said Stevie has no dependents. Not true. She may not have children, but she supports many people-- first off family... you know she supports her brother and her niece and others. She also has employees-- she runs Stevie Nicks, Inc. Backup singers, housekeepers, accountants, lawyers, investment managers, property managers, Karen's been on her payroll for 26+ years, property upkeep, doctors, voice coaches, costume designers, etc etc etc. She has bills to pay that are probably far higher than the others.

ETA: Lindsey's expenses must be ENORMOUS. His family, kids education, kids and wife's horses, wife is building gigantic horse farm, etc.... he has to be thinking of some economizing with all the money from a Mac tour no longer on the cards....no matter how smartly he's invested all these years. Losing FM tour money is huge.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-14-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Maybe, the "more to it" in this case would be Lindsey asked, they said no. Lindsey then insisted, putting his foot down, believing they would pretty much HAVE to go along with his request, they still said no. Both sides stood their ground which led to the unfortunate firing.

Jamie
Lindsey probably did put his foot down because he wanted to do his solo dates. But according to the Tom Petty photographer (who I at first doubted somewhat, but after the announcement looks like he was mostly right), Stevie then got fed up with his 'arrogance' and his requests that she told Mick "it's him or me".

While we can't know the exact truth this seems like the likely story. They both stood their ground and it got ugly. But it should not have ended like this, they should've done whatever it took to make it work.