Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Vaudeville Years

I was listening to Vaudeville Years (Disc 1 I think) yesterday, the first time I've listened to it even though I've had it for a while.

I really enjoyed the Jeremy songs on the disc (The vocal introductions are a bit annoying though) - especially Man Of Action which is a brilliant send up of John Mayall. As a Mayall fan I couldn't stop laughing while listening to this.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I was listening to Vaudeville Years (Disc 1 I think) yesterday, the first time I've listened to it even though I've had it for a while.

I really enjoyed the Jeremy songs on the disc (The vocal introductions are a bit annoying though) - especially Man Of Action which is a brilliant send up of John Mayall. As a Mayall fan I couldn't stop laughing while listening to this.
You don't like Milton Schlitz? What I really like about the "radio show" is when the band does the mock west-coast psychedelic band song. It proves this band could've played in any style if they chose to. I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
You don't like Milton Schlitz? What I really like about the "radio show" is when the band does the mock west-coast psychedelic band song. It proves this band could've played in any style if they chose to. I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.
If I hear correctly - The Orange Electric Squares?

It really shows the versatility of the band, and also of Jeremy. I know it was all in fun, but he really could turn his hand to anything. Its like the Jeremy Spencer album from 1970. Such a great variation of musical styles...

I lent the Vaudeville album to my mother (she likes PG era FM) but she kept skipping the tracks every time she heard "Milton Schlitz" as it was annoying her. I had to make her go back and listen to Man Of Action as she is also a Mayall fan.

Slightly off the topic but it is really sad that I've introduced my mother to so much music...Everytime I buy a CD she borrows it!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.
Or, Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Ledgie

Default I'm impressed

Quote:
Scary! I am listening to BBC Radio 2, Brian Mathews - Sounds of the Sixties (SOTS). Just as I read this, he plays 'You'r Gonna Miss Me' by the 13th Floor Elevators... (1966)

Setlist :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jrvbq (track23).

How did you manage to do that?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Scary! I am listening to BBC Radio 2, Brian Mathews - Sounds of the Sixties (SOTS). Just as I read this, he plays 'You'r Gonna Miss Me' by the 13th Floor Elevators... (1966)

Setlist :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jrvbq (track23).

How did you manage to do that?
I made a transatlantic phone call request to BBC Radio 2 in London just to freak you out. That's just pure coincidence.

It's certainly a band you don't hear about everyday. Sadly, their frontman Roky Erickson was a classic case of a serious acid casualty. By 1968 he claimed to have done LSD 200 times (or was it 300?). Even though they all were from Austin TX, they adopted that San Francisco vibe quickly. I think there's a box set coming out soon as well.

Last edited by slipkid; 04-11-2009 at 07:59 AM..
Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am still looking for Vaudeville Years. Unfortunately I didn't buy it when I saw it in a shop two years ago, and now it is impossible to find or get from Amazon without paying a fortune.

How come these are not re-issued either?

The Live at the BBC and Showbizz-Blues recordings are amongst my favourites so I am looking forward to hear Vaudeville Years and Milton Schlitz - whoever he is...

But then again it is nice to have something that I have never heard to look/listen forward to.

Ms Moose
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I am still looking for Vaudeville Years. Unfortunately I didn't buy it when I saw it in a shop two years ago, and now it is impossible to find or get from Amazon without paying a fortune.

How come these are not re-issued either?

The Live at the BBC and Showbizz-Blues recordings are amongst my favourites so I am looking forward to hear Vaudeville Years and Milton Schlitz - whoever he is...

But then again it is nice to have something that I have never heard to look/listen forward to.

Ms Moose
Well I guess it depends what you consider to be a fortune. You can still pick up a copy for around US$40 on Amazon (through a third party seller) which is expensive but not prohibitive...
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I guess it depends what you consider to be a fortune. You can still pick up a copy for around US$40 on Amazon (through a third party seller) which is expensive but not prohibitive...
Inspired by your pep-talk, chriskisn - I promptly went and bought a not so expensive one on Amazon.uk - My lament was based on the last time I looked there - and was chocked. Thanks!

Ms Moose
Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Inspired by your pep-talk, chriskisn - I promptly went and bought a not so expensive one on Amazon.uk - My lament was based on the last time I looked there - and was chocked. Thanks!

Ms Moose
Worth every cent though, if only for the Jeremy parodies...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Ms Moose
It's well worth the money. The second disc has the complete studio version of 'Underway', the Madge jams in their entirety, and unreleased jamming from an October '69 studio session. There are also a couple good Kirwan Then Play On outtakes that are interesting.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If I hear correctly - The Orange Electric Squares?
the orange electric SQUITTERS!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know it was done tongue in cheek and half assed, but they weren't far from sounding like the 13th Floor Elevators.
Who some might argue were themselves tongue in cheek and half assed.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

So half fast.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Verizon_HalfFast.jpg (41.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 02-19-2015 at 07:05 AM..