Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry

This sort of undermines Mick's 'we wouldn't do Glastonbury in the middle of a tour' nonsense.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from Forbes by Jesse Lawrence, 1-19-15

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselaw...ivals-of-2015/

Recently, several lineups were announced for 2015 with major announcements coming in for the Isle of Wight and Coachella. The Isle of Wight is the biggest music festival in the United Kingdom and this year’s headlining act will be Fleetwood Mac. It will be the first time the band will be performing at the festival. Meanwhile, AC/DC, Jack White, and Drake will be the featured performers for this year’s Coachella, taking place in April in Indio, California.

Announcements of headlining acts typically drive demand for the best music festivals, but the demand for Tomorrowland tickets demonstrates that many fans want to go to the best festivals in the world, regardless of who is performing. Tomorrowland, Coachella, and the Isle of Wight have proven that they can sign some of the biggest musical acts in the world and fans know that they can buy their tickets before the lineup is announced and be confident that it will be a great show.

According to a viagogo spokesperson, “Music fans typically stave off the January blues by snapping up tickets to see their favorite acts and this year it looks like many are planning to combine their summer holidays with a trip to a foreign festival.” Though tickets for the biggest events sell out via the box office within seconds, “tickets are still available on viagogo, where people around the world can search in their own language, pay in their own currency and buy before they fly.”

The top five countries with individuals searching for festival tickets are the United States, followed by Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, and, finally, Australia, rounding out the list. Coachella is the top in-demand American festival with the Rock Am Ring leading Germany, the Isle of Wight the top UK event, and Benicassim and Stereosonic the top events for Spain and Australia, respectively.

Below are the top ten most popular festivals of 2015, according to ticket search results on viagogo.com:

1.Tomorrowland (Belgium)
2.Coachella (United States)
3.Tomorrowland (Brazil)
4.Sensation (Netherlands)
5.Isle of Wight (United Kingdom)
6.Rock in Rio (Brazil)
7.Stereosonic (Australia)
8.Rock Am Ring (Germany)
9.Benicassim (Spain)
10.Mysteryland (Netherlands)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The Isle of Wight is the biggest music festival in the United Kingdom and this year’s headlining act will be Fleetwood Mac.
No it isn't.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Charlatans lead Isle Of Wight Festival additions

NME News, By Leonie Cooper , March 17, 2015

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-charlata...PogWPbYAX50.99

Fleetwood Mac, The Prodigy and The Black Keys will head up the June event

The Charlatans are the latest act to join the line-up for this year's Isle Of Wight Festival.

They head up a list of new additions for the event, with Sunset Sons, The Shires, Larkin Poe and Stiff Little Fingers also added to the bill.

The festival line-up already includes Paolo Nutini and Pharrell Williams plus headliners Fleetwood Mac, The Prodigy and The Black Keys. Fleetwood Mac will close the festival, having signed an exclusive worldwide deal to bring their live show to The Isle Of Wight. The Prodigy and The Black Keys, will co-headline the Friday night of the festival, with another headline act to join Fleetwood Mac and the double bill of The Black Keys and The Prodigy to be announced shortly.

The Courteeners, Ash and The View plus Billy Idol, Kodaline, Counting Crows, You Me At Six, First Aid Kit, Sheppard, Jessie Ware, The Struts, Jess Glynne and Kool & the Gang will also play the event. As will Groove Armada, Chicks On Speed, Coasts, Ruen Brothers and Pretty Vicious. The festival takes place June 11-14 at Seaclose Park, Newport, Isle of Wight.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-charlata...PogWPbYAX50.99
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^ What does this mean that it's a "worldwide" deal. Wouldn't it only effect the people in the English Channel who get to attend?

By saying it's some kind of exclusive worldwide deal, I wonder are they going to film it. Maybe the exclusive part of it is that it's the only stop on the tour that will be filmed.

Michele
Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
^ What does this mean that it's a "worldwide" deal. Wouldn't it only effect the people in the English Channel who get to attend?

By saying it's some kind of exclusive worldwide deal, I wonder are they going to film it. Maybe the exclusive part of it is that it's the only stop on the tour that will be filmed.

Michele
hm. Maybe it's going to be broadcast online?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls90 View Post
hm. Maybe it's going to be broadcast online?
it's weird all these festivals and acts are usually broadcast and filmed, except FM part. wonder why they don't allow festivals to film them? and whether it will be the same with this one?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
I think this is just a marketing move on the part of the festival organisers. There was quite a bit of clamour to book Fleetwood Mac for the European festival season. The Isle of Wight organisers paid them a premium to ensure they didn't play any other festivals- hence the 'World-wide exclusive' which helps to sell tickets. It probably suited the band as I'm not sure they would have had plans to do many festivals anyway (their own shows are much more lucrative for them).

Of course, they could still end up filming the IOW performance.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think this is just a marketing move on the part of the festival organisers. There was quite a bit of clamour to book Fleetwood Mac for the European festival season. The Isle of Wight organisers paid them a premium to ensure they didn't play any other festivals- hence the 'World-wide exclusive' which helps to sell tickets. It probably suited the band as I'm not sure they would have had plans to do many festivals anyway (their own shows are much more lucrative for them).
I guess you're right. But the idea makes me laugh.

Yes, this is their only festival performance, but they are playing live everywhere else on the planet for two years straight, so we really got an "exclusive" deal here.

Michele
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Isle of Wight Festival Recording

Do we have any information if the show at the festival will be recorded?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Do we have any information if the show at the festival will be recorded?
No, but I bloody well hope they record it! They would be silly not to!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ISLE OF WIGHT HEADLINERS SCORE MORE NUMBER ONES THAN ANY OTHER FESTIVAL
Fleetwood Mac, Blur and The Prodigy all come out on top

http://www.gigwise.com/news/100692/i...st-number-ones

Isle of Wight's headliners have scored more Number One albums than those at any other music festival in the UK this year.

Blur and The Prodigy have been unveiled as the most successful album chart acts, with six number one albums each including two released this year; Blur with the Magic Whip and The Prodigy's The Day Is My Enemy. Combined with US super-band Fleetwood Mac, who have had four albums at the top of the UK chart in their career and the rest of the festival's headline acts, they have totalled 19 number ones.

This makes the Isle of Wight festival's headliners the top scorers above any other UK festival.

Fleetwood Mac will headline the Isle of Wight festival for the first time this year after it was rumoured they turned down Glastonbury for the opportunity.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Standard Co. UK, London Evening Standard

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/ce...-10277963.html

Alistair Foster Published: 27 May 2015

Fleetwood Mac fans have Tom Petty and Kings of Leon to thank after they convinced the band to make their only UK festival appearance of the summer.

The group are due to headline at Isle of Wight next month but had major reservations about playing an outdoor show, according to John Giddings, who runs the festival.

The band now boast their “classic” line-up after Christine McVie rejoined her ex-husband John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks last year.

Giddings, 62, said he had been trying to convince them to play at his festival for seven years.

He added: “They are the jewel in the crown this year — getting them was a fantastic result. I'd approached them repeatedly and they hadn’t had much interest in it.

“But with Christine McVie rejoining the band they seem to have revitalised themselves. I went to them and said what about this year?

“And they said they weren’t keen on playing in the open air, but they spoke to Tom Petty and the Kings of Leon who said they had a great time at the festival. They managed to convince them.”

Giddings, who also acts as an agent for artists including Madonna, Justin Timberlake and Pharrell Williams, believes the rapid rise in the number of UK festivals is unsustainable.

He added: “I think there has been an explosion of them and I think there will be a natural levelling at some point.

“There’s not enough people or money in the UK to sustain an event every weekend down the road. But that’s not for me to say, it’s for other people to find out.”
Old 06-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tim Jonze, The Guardian, June 3, 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...hristine-mcvie

Why we’re excited about seeing Fleetwood Mac’s Christine McVie at Isle of Wight

To listen to Fleetwood Mac’s Christine McVie speak, you’d never guess she was a member of one of the world’s most successful – not to mention debauched and dysfunctional – bands of all time. Level-headed and prone to understatement when I interviewed her for the Guardian in 2013, she described the songwriting gift that enabled her to knock out such hits as Don’t Stop and Little Lies as follows: “I don’t know what it is really … I think I’m just good with hooks.”

During that interview, she went on to discuss the band’s legendarily gargantuan drug intake without a hint of romance – “Well, I’d be lying if I said I was sober as a judge” – and described the crazy routine the band adhered to at the peak of their success in similar terms: “You look at tennis players; it’s the same kind of thing.”

So grounded can McVie appear that it’s almost surprising that the songs she writes take flight so effortlessly: heartfelt and clear, they’re given extra wind beneath their wings by her pure, songbird falsetto. This summer, those heading to the Isle of Wight festival will get to see her perform them, something many Mac fans feared they would never see again: McVie left the group in 1998, succumbing to a fear of flying and longing for a quiet life in the country; she rejoined in 2014.

It’s a testament to Fleetwood Mac’s abundance of talent that they have not just survived without McVie and her many hits during this 16-year absence, but delivered storming three-hour sets packed with classic tracks. Great though those shows were, it wasn’t quite Fleetwood Mac. McVie’s songs don’t just stand out in their own right, but also provide a counterbalance to the other artistic directions in the band. Less mystical than Stevie Nicks’ and less wilfully experimental than some of Lindsey Buckingham’s, McVie’s simple songs of love nonetheless brim with a sense of positivity, not to mention an abundance of melody.

Her musical gifts – let’s not forget she’s a skilled keyboard player with a style schooled in the blues – are not the only reason Mac fans should celebrate her return. In a famously fractured band, whose existence always seems precariously balanced, thanks to decades of broken marriages, flings and rows, McVie’s down-to-earth personality provides a steadying role similar to that of her songs.

She always seemed capable of rising above the tangled love dramas that caused jealously and tantrums among the men, and her enduring friendship with Nicks helped the pair to face the perils of being female artists during the sexist 70s. When McVie first left, Nicks said she was heartbroken; today she talks lovingly about having her musical sister back in the band: “When I finish Silver Springs, Christine waits for me and takes my hand,” she recently told Canadian magazine Maclean’s. “We walk off and we never let go of each other until we get to our tent. In that 30 seconds, it’s like my heart just comes out of my body.”

McVie is too key a figure for Fleetwood Mac to have carried on touring without her, and drummer Mick Fleetwood has admitted that her return to the band makes them “complete” again. Speaking to the Vancouver Sun in March, he added that he “couldn’t think of a better ending, when this does end … we’re all on the same page and writing the same last chapter”.

Comments such as this only add to the sense that their Isle of Wight show will be a magical, uplifting and emotional experience. Or “not a bad gig”, as Christine may well say afterwards.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Junior Ledgie

I think they have made a big mistake... they may have been paid more
to play IOW but they should have played the pyramid at glastonbury. It will
be there last chance i think.

Im sure with the BBC coverage they would have made their money back
via cd sales.

its such a shame...